CLOSED: Seed

Santa Rosa vegan restaurant serving cooked and raw food. Brunch on Sunday. NOTE: Closed until February 1st, 2011- please update HappyCow of changes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Beer/Wine, International, American, Take-out

First Review by FrogSF
MightyJacob707
MightyJacob707

A "Must Stop Place" if you enjoy raw vegan cuisine

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

I found this place from my vegout app on my iphone ( a handy tool when on the road in search of vegetarian food) , I had the pizza with walnut sausage (it wasnt on the menu, but i had seen someone seemed to REALLY like it, so I asked for it!), it was hands down the best raw pizza ive eaten. I also got a chocolate desert of some sort , it was excellent as well. I was able to get my entree , desert, and a drink for the same price I generally pay for an entree and drink at comparable raw/vegan establishments.....

Pros: Raw/Vegan, Friendly Staff
Cons: Small Drink Menu
Terry Winters
Terry Winters

seed a big disappointment

2 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2009

Rarely am I so sorely disappointed by a dining experience as I was by Seed. When I dine at a restaurant, I expect to get decent sized portions if they are charging full-rate cost for all dishes and entrees, which they are. One can always take home any uneaten portion if watching calories or their weight. The "cup" of soup I ordered looked more like a half cup of soup, and was entirely bland except for some overly chunky and strongly flavored red onions. Basically it tasted like smashed corn with onion. This would be fine if I were at home and in a hurry and had nothing else to eat, but in a restaurant? A soup can easily be made flavorful with the addition of some spice or some salt, or finely chopped additions of other ingredients to compliment the flavor of the main ingredient so that a taste of the addition is added to each bite, not a large chunk of overly sharp anything, so that even if I loved the red onion, only two or three bites of the half cup would have benefited from the addition. Why no salt? Salt is not an enemy to be avoided, but a condiment to be used judiciously to bring out the flavor of foods. The zucchini alfredo consisted of about a cup and a half ( a FLUFFY cup and a half, worth about 25 cents ) of shredded zucchini, and as far as I could taste had no sauce whatsoever except some sort of watery I-don't-know-what on the bottom of the plate that did not stick at all to the shreds of vegetable matter. Why is it called alfredo? I understand some kind of artistic license to be taken when preparing unconventional dishes, but there is no reason whatsoever to have called it alfredo. The "ceasar" salad - again, why Ceasar? Because it was made with romaine lettuce? This is not enough reason to use that term in my opinion. It had no croutons, no garlic, no discernible lemon juice or oil, of course no egg, which authentic ceasar salad would have, no parmesan cheese, not even faux cheese. It was about 10 cents worth of shredded lettuce and nothing else. So, a plate barely bigger than a bread plate with less than a dollar's worth of tasteless vegetable matter for $10.50. My friend ordered ravioli. I had one, a small morsel about the size of a mandarin orange slice. It was the only thing that had any flavor whatsoever of both our meals. I think there were five of them on her plate, about two tablespoons of red sauce, another "ceasar" salad, and a very bland cracker with miniscule shreds of basil and and a few cubes of tomato - for $13.50?

Cons: bland, small portions, seedy area
  • seedrestaurant seedrestaurant

The Corn Chowder is one of seed's most asked for soups and is dressed with chopped red bell pepper - NOT red onion. Our Caesar Salad is served with a cashew/lemon/garlic dressing, rosemary croutons, capers and pine nut parmesan.

I truly appreciate constructive, realistic comments that will enhance and improve the quality of the food we serve.

• MightyJacob707 MightyJacob707

I read this terribly inaccurate review prior to going to this establishment and got exactly what I expected: wonderfully prepared raw organic whole food..... I was very surprised at the size of portions..... very large for the price. If you like going to Cafe Gratitude (which I do ) you'll love this great, great place, and youll spend half the money. If you want cheese, or meat, this is not the place for you.

• kpolacci kpolacci

This is crazy-talk. I don't know if Terry's just used to Applebee's, and their level of salt-fat-sweetness and portions, but I've always had the greatest experience at Seed. I'm not vegetarian, but I still consider this one of my favorite restaurants in the area (which says a lot, considering this is wine country). And the portions are always PERFECT. . . I walk away feeling totally nourished and satisfied.

superveggie
superveggie

Great place to eat.

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2009

I just tried Seed Restaurant for the first time tonight with my family and I am very impressed! The waitress was an absolute delight who made sure our coffee did not run out and was very happy to make recommendations. The food was equally fantastic and you could tell that this Restaurant takes a great deal of pride in its ingredients and preparation. My favorite is the tostada but the pizza was good as well. The only complaint I have is that the food is so good I wish the portions were bigger! I will definitely eat here again.

Pros: Great Waitress , Great Food , Reasonable Prices
Cons: Small Restaurant (make reservations), Small Portions
Barefoot
Barefoot

Mmmmm :)

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2008

Absolute bliss in your mouth. Their vegan raw nut-meat sausage pizza was amazing. They've gottit going on! A must have in you're in the area...
Great prices for high quality, organic/vegan/raw/living food. We ended out experience with the hemp seed brownie with coconut ice cream and raw carmel sauce. Pure decadence!

Pros: 100% organic, Vegan , great prices
Cons: lack of ambiance, off site restroom
kerriluv
kerriluv

+2/vegan,raw,organic. -3/FLAVOR,size&price

2 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2008

I had the Sloppy Seed w/side salad.The Sloppy Seed was an alright portion size but was a bit too sweet and lacked in herbs or seasoning.The salad was small and they put a tiny drizzle of bland salad dressing on it.My bf had the Brucheta Pizza w/side salad.The Bruchetta was nuts pressed to make a crust topped w hummus tomatoes and little more veg.It was two little pieces of "pizza". That was totally miss labeled. I don't know what you'd call that but bruchetta pizza is not it. That portion was so small he thought it was our starter. We also tried the corn chowder. That WAS good. Their mint chip ice cream is great!But I'm not impressed with the portion size for the price. We ate it all because we were hungry, but we left still hungry, waited two hours and went to eat dinner again! He won't be back, I might give it another try and have something else because I love the idea that its raw, vegan and organic.

Pros: organic, vegan, raw
Cons: LACK OF FLAVOR, small portions high price, miss lable some menue items
RawveganMom
RawveganMom

• raw

reFRESHing

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2008

My family and I ate at Seed recently to celebrate a birthday. We weren't sure what to expect. I ordered the Tostada and it was heavenly. My daughter ordered the Sloppy Seed (Vegan version of a Sloppy Joe) and others liked it so much we had to order another one. All the food we got was exceptional. You must try raw ravioli's!
The service was timely and efficient and the servers are cheerful, knowledgable and friendly. Even though Seed is a 40 drive, this is our new favorite restaurant and we will be back often.

Pros: organic, seasonal, good value
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Commentary -

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2008

I have not visited "Seed".

A friend in the US copied & pasted this article - it has since disappeared from the site which it was on.

There was a "Seed" in London in the 60's & the seeing the name once again brought up some good memories.

I choose to put it up on the site as it reads well & it certainly benefits a veg*n business having it here to read.

Running a veg*n business is tough - I believe in promoting them in every possible way.

On the question of Ratings - I am relying on my friends comment to me that she found "Seed" Santa Rosa to be excellent.

I look forward to reading other Reviews of this "Seed" as they appear.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From http://www.pressdemocrat.com - but it is no longer showing there -

A 26th June Review

Excerpts -

+Seed takes root in Santa Rosa+

The North Bay's meat-free-set have a new place to rave about in Santa Rosa thanks to the addition of Seed, a month-old vegan restaurant on Sebastopol Avenue.

The seven-table restaurant, on the east side of Highway 101, offers a menu completely void of meat and dairy-ravioli "flowers" made with macadamia nuts, sausage pizza made with nut cheese and even a brownie sundae. In addition to the lack of meat and cheese, everything on the
menu is organic and most is raw and wheat free.

Vegan owner and chef Jeri Hastey opened restaurant because she was simply hungry. "There aren't a lot of options for vegans," she said. After many years as a vegetarian, she became a vegan a year ago, inspired by one of her five children. But the food lover found there weren't many places for her to enjoy a meal out.
...

"I'm honestly surprised how welcome I have been made to feel in the vegan community," and said news of the restaurant has spread mainly through word of mouth.

FrogSF
FrogSF

Great food, thoughtful owners!

5 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2008

I had brunch here on Mother's Day and it was great. We had no idea what to expect and to our surprise the entire menu is vegan. We had the cooked cinnamon roll (so tasty. wish it was bigger!), the mac and cheese (EXCELLENT!), the lemon wafers with coconut macadamia and fruit topping (a very nice unique dessert) and the live granola (super crunchy and filled with healthy seeds). We hope to make it back for the ravioli and the frittata. The atmosphere is bright, the owners are super nice and the restaurant features local art. The portions may be smaller than you are looking for, but honestly this kind of quality food costs more to prepare and our culture eats too much anyway. Definitely give this place your business. Also, they are opening a to-go only place next door so you can grab healthy food on the run.

Pros: great taste, unique dishes, friendly atmosphere
Cons: smaller than expected portions

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Seed: