Quick service Venice vegan cafe located near the Venice Beach boardwalk. Offers a varied menu with sandwiches and paninis, rice bowls, salads, burgers, panini sandwiches. Beverages include Japanese teas, organic coffee, fresh pressed juices. Vegan baked goods include both savory and sweet scones plus cookies and desserts. All food is served in biodegradable disposable ware. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Macrobiotic, American, Juice bar, Fast food, Take-out
1604 Pacific Ave (Windward)
Venice, California 90291

starbeast
starbeast

Not So Much

3 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2014

I tried the bbq burger or something like that and was not impressed. Might have just gotten the wrong thing, though. I do love how fresh everything is, probably will try again.

TableForOne
TableForOne

Seitan Worship

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

I had the Rosemary Seitan Bowl from the specials menu. It came out fast and it was totally delicious. I sat outside to watch the parade of poseurs pass by and indoors they were playing Hendrix live at Monterey. I really like this place, but it's pretty expensive and there's no customer toilet.

Pros: Really good food
Cons: Expensive, No customer toilet
Gabe
Gabe

Reminds me of Boon Burger in Winnipeg

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

I was sufficiently and impressed. Wife and I both ordered a BBQ tempeh sandwich with fries, and everything was fresh and flavorful. Just stop doing that LA vegan restaurant thing where you put lemons and cucumbers in the water.

Pros: Friendly staff, Excellent sandwiches and fries
Cons: A bit pricy, No bathrooms, Water has cucumbers and lemons in it
brandalock
brandalock

Horrible!

2 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

Overpriced food! Our food was dry and dissapointing. Horrible service! FILTHY kitchen! No Bathrooms! Awful experience here. [edit by staff]

Pros: None
Cons: Overpriced, Filthy, Bad service
Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

Upscale fast food

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

Seed is on the pricey side for fast food. Ordered the Southwest border which was good, if a little sparing with the sauce.

denooijer
denooijer

upscale,sit down, fast food

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

Plenty of vegan options, creative dishes, easy parking out front (though only for 1 hour), had the Thai coconut curry with seitan and it was delicious. The seitan was seared and the curry sauce had a nice 'back heat' a la cayenne.

Pros: plenty of options, clean, biodegradable eating ware
Cons: a little pricey
Chia
Chia

Good Vegan Food in Venice

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

Visitors to Venice Beach have a real choice for good veggie grub. I had read about Seed Kitchen on HappyCow when it first opened its doors a few years ago. Since, I've eaten here numerous times. Was just here again in February 2013, and here's my Seed Kitchen review update.

The menu now includes some more permanent new items like different flavors of taco, a cold soba noodle dish, a seitan sirloin burger, and weekend brunch food like a burrito and a tofu scramble. Plus it has added a juice press machine, so you can get a fresh pressed green juice.

The owner and chef extraordinaire, Eric L., also is making both sweet as well as savory scones on the weekends (which are delicious - my favorite).

Then there's the regular menu stuff like salads, grilled panini sandwiches, other veg burgers, bowls, sweet potato as well as regular french fries, and baked goods.

I especially like the hot miso ramen, the BBQ tempeh burger, the Seed chop chop salad, and the sweet potato fries. And I always get Eric's scones and the cookies. They taste healthier without comprising the flavor or satisfaction factor.

Sometimes my friends and I sit inside, sometimes we sit outside with the dog lovers (it's dog-friendly here). The food is served very quickly and the people are friendly. Definitely checkout Seed Kitchen when in the Venice Beach area!

Pros: friendly & quick, all vegan, healthy baked goods
eric
eric

Venice Beach Vegan Eats

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2012

I have been going to Seed since they opened and almost always have been pleased with the food. I usually get the paninis and burgers, though the bowls are yummy, too (especially the macro bowl).

As with most restaurants, it's best when the owner and chef Eric is around, but overall, quality has been consistent.

They used to have soft serve but don't offer that anymore due to lack of demand-- sad cause it was awesome.

Eric is known for his amazing vegan desserts, so be sure to try them.

Pros: Location, Great food, Chef Eric
Naan Cee
Naan Cee

fresh and healthy

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2012

After reading the reviews on HappyCow, I've had food from Seed twice and both times have been very good. The panini sandwiches and macro bowl are my favorite so far. Oh, the cupcakes are good too, though I hear they don't make them anymore. The staff is friendly and even the customers are friendly.

Pros: fresh , delicious , convenient
**eRin**
**eRin**

Expensive But Good

3 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

The food was good but over priced. I was in the area and this was the only place that I could find that was vegan. If I'm ever in the area again I might stop by.

Pros: vegan, Fresh
Cons: Expensive
  • Chia Chia

Seed's prices are reasonable for the good quality ingredients used and also considering that it's at Venice Beach. Real estate is hot here.

jhawk
jhawk

Great Simple Flavorfull Health

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2012

Was glad to find this spot while in the Venice area for work. Actually I was in Venice for play, left work in Anaheim. It was a beautiful sunny day and I sat on the patio for lunch (Asian Kale & Blackened Tempeh Burger w/ Mango Salsa & Barley Iced Tea). I will go back for more the next time I am in Cali.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012

Pros: Beach is around the corner, Staff was great, Food was awesome
alyssa
alyssa

Get Fresh in Venice

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

I met Chef Eric and Sanae at the Healthy Taste of L.A. event in November. They are such sweet people and the salad and soup they made there was delicious. I found myself in Venice today and decided to treat myself to lunch. What a cute little place they have! I got a really good vibe the moment I walked in. It was super clean and bright and the workers were friendly. After I placed my order, the man behind the counter pointed out to me that they offer free water to all customers. Today it had lemons, cumbers and mint in it. I was thankful because my water bottle was a little low and it was such a warm day. I ordered Seed Chop-Chop Salad to enjoy there. It was beautifully presented in a compostable container with rows of chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, blackened tempe, shredded carrots and tamari almonds on top of fresh romaine lettuce, red cabbage and some of the best vegan ranch dressing I have ever tasted. And it was HUGE! I ended up taking half of it home for dinner. Since I was too full for dessert, I'll have to come back and report. I'll also be going to their upscale location as soon as possible.

Pros: lively flavors, very fresh, eco-friendly
Cons: no public restroom
Kirby
Kirby

Highly recomened

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2011

Just Last month I visited seed for my 3rd time now and for my 3rd time was greatly pleased with both their food and servie/ friendliness. For anyone going to Seed I would recomend the paninis or definatly the burgers. All three times their food seemed to be better than the last, wich I didn't think was possible. I am very excited to visit Seed Again and see if they can out do my last visit.Thanks for the great food Seed !!

Pros: Awsome food, Very Friendly
Betty Chaudhry
Betty Chaudhry

Great food, fast & healthy

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

this is a great place to get a quick meal either to eat there or take with you. Grilled veg panini and kale salad were excellent and service was fast. There is limited seating so don't count on being able to get a table - either inside or out - if you go there at a busy time. Nevertheless, strongly recommended!

Pros: good tasting food, healthy, good service
Cons: limited seating
jrm212
jrm212

my venice favorite

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

healthy fast food! have some filtered lemon/cucumber water while you wait for your order. the southwestern burger is my absolute favorite! macro bowls good too. sweet potato fries. the desserts, which seem fancier than the place itself, but wow, beautiful and delicious. always friendly service, whether the owner waits on you, or any of the staff. my only downside is that there's a lot of throw-away--everything is served on disposable servingware, even for dine-in. and when i asked for more ketchup in my little container, they just gave me a new one (they are pre-filled). yeah, it's compostable, but if disposable isn't necessary, i don't like taking the risk that all of this stuff will indeed break down in a landfill.

Pros: delicious!, reasonably priced, friendly staff
Cons: over-use of dispoables for dine-in
Sammy
Sammy

A little expensive but I loved my food

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

Adored the sweet potato fries. Loved my burger, my non-vegan friend liked her salad. A little expensive but the food is good for it!

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Must have the desserts

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

I've been wanting to try Seed for a long time, but just never get over to Venice. I finally had the opportunity when meeting a friend for lunch today. Seed is very much like M Cafe, but it's all vegan. No fish! Yay! You order at the counter where you can ogle the fabulous desserts. The lady behind the counter was very friendly and I saw Eric running around too.

My friend had the Southwestern burger which she enjoyed and she shared her side order of sweet potato fries with me - just perfect! I had the soyzzarella tomato & basil panini which was very tasty, but I'm partial to it at M Cafe as well as I miss caprese. I took a blackened tempeh burger home to Dirk which he devoured. The ciabatta bun made it really good.

Onto the desserts - Eric makes the best desserts as anyone who has had them at M Cafe can attest to. Even though I eat them every time I go to M, I didn't make the connection to Eric until we went on the holistic holiday at sea cruise a couple of years ago when Eric and Sanae were doing a vegan macrobiotic dessert baking demo and I tasted his tiramisu. Just heavenly! So, of course, when I saw it in the dessert case today, I had to have it! I also brought home a piece of raspberry mousse cake - yum! You could really taste the fresh raspberries. The desserts are very European (with less sugar - the way we like it!). Seed deserves 5 cows just for the desserts IMHO.

Pros: desserts!!!!!, vegan macrobiotic, nice staff
Cons: no restroom
Mimi710
Mimi710

Didn't meet my expectations, but I would go again

3 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

I went here with high expectations because I had read a lot of hyped up reviews, but I honestly was not a fan of the burger that I ordered. The sweet potato fries were amazing however, as was the cupcake that I came back for later in the afternoon. The location near Venice Beach is perfect since there isn't much for vegans on the actual boardwalk. I would definetly go again and hopefully enjoy my food more than I did the first time that I went.

Pros: location, decent prices, sweet potato fries
Cons: didn't like burger
Petesternz
Petesternz

Good find

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2009

We visited Seed and had a very nice lunch. Can't say it was my favourite place in Los Angeles, but it's definitely worth visiting if you're in Venice Beach. The salads are beautiful and interesting. They mix a lot of ingredients and everything is super fresh. My wife had a really nice tempeh salad with chickpeas with a wonderful dressing. I had a soysage panini that was a little disappointing. Certainly tasty enough on its own merits, it was not what I expected and didn't seem like soysage at all, more like crumbled tofu. I was hoping for slices of firm sausage, and didn't get it. The sweet potato fries (at another table) looked great. We also had a tiramisu - the first we've tasted since going vegan. Very good texture, though a stronger coffee flavour was expected. All in all, a very nice lunch, though hardly excellent.

Pros: healthy, interesting options
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Very Tasty

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2009

We sat outside to enjoy the sunny day, and ordered a southwest burger and a macro bowl. The burger was thick and tasty, with good flavor, and we quickly devoured that. The macro bowl was healthy, although it wasn't a lot different than what I would have cooked for dinner at home! We also shared the sweet potato fries, which were good and brought us up to the "full" mark. The restaurant has a casual atmosphere and it is a great place to just hang out and enjoy good food on a fine day.

Pros: good range of foods, casual atmosphere
AshleyxMichelle
AshleyxMichelle

Great

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2009

I had the mediterranean burger. It was really good. The place itself it really nice. There is places to eat inside or out. If I was in the area again I would definitely go again!

Pros: great food , nice atmosphere, friendly staff
ms.nicely
ms.nicely

Vegan Soft Serve makes me smile

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2009

Recently I had my first visit to Seed. I was greeted at the counter with a smile. I ordered the Soyzzarella Panini - creamy pesto, soy cheese, and fresh tomato inside perfectly toasted bread. It was delicate and melted in my mouth. I want to learn their pesto recipe! The man at the counter even checked on me during my meal, using my actual name. What a nice change. And for desert, the vanila soft serve. I ordered the large size. The vanilla bean really came out in every bite. I will be going back as soon as I have a little cash to drop. Next time I'll be getting a cupcake everyone has been raving about. I only wish there were less people who enjoyed venice beach so I wouldn't have to compete with traffic.

Pros: texture, service
Cons: traffic
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good experience.

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

I was very pleased with Seed. I had a few things from here; sausage panini, chocolate truffle, and chocolate chip cookie. Overall I was happy with everything I got. The sausage panini was very good (everything is thinly sliced it) and the other half of it tasted good hours later on my plane ride home. The chocolate truffle was very good and the cookie was good but not fantastic. I will more than likely be back here on my next trip.

dinakourda
dinakourda

Yummy Food

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2009

I loved the food - I had a panini and carrot soup which were both great, but nothing compares to the Green Tea Cupcake I had - yummy! The staff was friendly, but the food took a while and there was NO BATHROOM. Parking was also difficult.

Pros: Cupcakes, Tasty Food, Friendly Service
Cons: No Bathroom, Difficult Parking, Slow Service
Hugo
Hugo

Good eating experience

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2009

Seed is a nice cafe-style eatery in the heart of Venice Beach in Culver City. After reading about 'Seed' in Veg News magazine, my wife and I decided to drive down from Ventura to have dinner with a friend. We ordered Sweet potatoe fries, which were exceptional. We also ordered the regular fries (Pommes Frites) which had an uncanny resemblance and taste to McDonald's french-fries. The Barley iced tea, oddly enough, had a slight hint of coffee. Strange, but it did. I tried the Non-alcoholic Pinot Noir drink that was OK. The Japanese Vegetable Curry (I felt) needed more coconut milk to sweeten it up a bit. The best dish we had was the Southwest Burger, without a doubt. The wheat bun was perfectly slightly crunchy on the outside. The bean & grain burger inside was very tasty. We also had the BBQ Tempeh Burger which we liked, but felt needed more Tempeh. We also tried one of the grain bowls called 'Mango Tango'. The seitan eggless-eggroll included in the dish was very tasty, but a little greasy. For dessert, we tried the Ice cream (Vanilla flavor) that was good. The chocolate chip cookie that we tried was a bit dry and bland. The Chocolate Mousse Terrine was very good. Overall good dinning experience. I would recommend it to others, and will return to sample other offerings on their menu.

Pros: Proximity to Venice Beach, Exceptional Sweet Potatoe Fries, !VEGAN!
Cons: No public restroom :(, eggless-eggroll a bit greasy
  • calnative calnative

Just need to correct you... Venice Beach is not in Culver City... Venice is its own city - Culver City is about 4 miles east of Venice.

Mir
Mir

good healthy food, nice location

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2008

The place is cozy inside, the staff is very friendly and accommodating. I had a thai curry bowl with brown rice and it was good, not mind blowing, but good - it did not have enough flavor for me though. Next time I will try panini - it looked delicious. Chocolate chip cookie was very tasty but had a different from traditional cookie texture and very mild taste, still - delicious. Unfortunately, the ice making machine was broken, so we did not get to try the ice-cream. Overall, good job guys! Finally, we have a vegan place to eat when we go to the beach.

Pros: healthy tasty food, good customer service, vegan ice-cream
Cons: no bathrooms!!!, hard to find parking on a warm day
MichelleOJ
MichelleOJ

So yummy yet so far!

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2008

I was starving when I arrived at Seed so I started off with a moist coconut creme frosted cupcake. The frosting was decadent and I could taste real bits of coconut which was nice. The cake itself was very moist and fresh (my cupcakes don't come out this moist!). I had the tomato soyrella pesto panini which was devine! The pesto was perfecto! My husband had a black bean burger which he was very pleased with and we split an order of sweet potato fries. I don't think I can go back to regular fries- these were so awesome! They were HOT and fresh and crisp but not too crispy. The service was great, the atmosphere was really pleasant, and the food was outstanding. If you live in the area this is a place you must try and won't regret. Only bummer was the soft serve machine was still down. Once they get that going the place will probably get twice as packed! ;)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff
jiklass
jiklass

A new world of dining for macrobiotics and vegans!

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

I just dined at Seed and I have to say that it was excellent. I took my time and chewed well (something I've been doing that I never did before - and this is emphasized in the macrobiotic world) and it only enhanced my dining experience. Seed has a diverse menu and crowd, with food that would be pleasing to anyone, macrobiotic/vegan or not. The atmosphere is relaxing and pleasant, and for a restaurant that has not been open for even two weeks, the traffic was pretty darn heavy! I highly recommend this restaurant. I really enjoyed the Indian Curry, and the Mango Tango was great too. The head chef Eric is very talented, and whips up amazing dishes. Keep up the good work Eric and Sanae!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff and great atmosphere
lovequeen
lovequeen

Seed

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2008

At the recommendation of HappyCow, my lady friends and I have eaten at Seed a few times. Each time we would order different dishes from the menu and share. All in all, our experiences have been positive with mixed reviews on the food.

We all agree that the grilled panini sandwiches are wonderful (all of them) as are the veggie burgers with tempeh (a blackened one that's nicely peppered with herbs and a bbq sauce one that's a bit sweet and very tasty). The chop salad and the kale salad are very good, too.

But the bowls and the currys we've tried can be improved or modified. Today we had the Japanese curry, and it was so spicy that we couldn't finish it (I like the pumpkin and carrots in the curry but the mushroom seemed like a strange ingredient). We also tried the seitan beef bowl, which was uncomplicated (simple bowl of brown rice/veggies/seitan), and the seitan was tough and hard to chew. The best bowl to try is the Japanese macrobiotic one (with brown rice, beans, seaweed, kale).

The best part is the desserts. Excellent cookies and cupcakes. Must try a cupcake.

Pros: quick service, sandwiches & burgers, desserts
Cons: to-go container only, currys and bowls need improvement
cherryann
cherryann

Thanks Eric and Sanae!

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

Great lunch today at SEED!I ordered the saisai donburi macro bowl, and it's just like I'd make my lunch at home: only just about a million times better...I like when I go out and I don't have to order something too different from what I eat...anyway...this bowl from heaven comes with kabocha, kale ,shiitake, arame seaweed, beans of the day (today was pinto), sauerkraut and a yummi balsamic-miso sauce (which I almost drunk), served on a bed of brown rice.The place was packed!!!Word of mouth already started to spread!
I was totally satisfied, but what I was more happy about was that I got there, and I got to hang out with people I mostly know.
It's not just a great place to eat, but it's a nice and comfy place to just hang out.
Also,there will be every tuesday night at 7pm the Macrobiotic Community Evening...can't wait to attend#ciao

Pros: great location, friendly waiters, fast service
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

echoing the previous review

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2008

Same style of food as MCafe but 100% Vegan and wins over MCafe hands down! There's plenty of metered parking in front of Seed. Do NOT skip out on the cupcake, they are WAY better than M's, actually probably the best in LA. Super moist. Right now the restaurant has to serve everything in a to go container, but you can eat there (no public bathrooms so plan ahead) (they are waiting for zoning changes so better to be open and serving great vegan food in containers than to not serve it at all) I highly recommend the Tempeh Burgers! I plan to try everything on the menu, though! ALSO THERE IS A SOFT SERVE VEGAN ICE CREAM MACHINE! Sorry for the caps, but its needed! It wasn't operational when I was there, but I assume it is now.
Hours are 10-9pm First all vegan restaurant in Venice since Good Karma closed so much needed!

Pros: softserve, parking, cupcakes
Cons: no bathroom, to go containers
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Highly Recommended

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2008

Hurray for Seed! Finally, an all veg place in Venice. It's a cute little cafe with excellent, quality food--creative and healthy (well, except for the sweet potato fries and french fries that are quite decadent but yum). And the desserts are heavenly. Great tempeh burgers, unique salads, and the chocolate chip cookie is yum. Highly recommended when in the Venice area.

I am one happy cow. Thank you for bringing Seed to the neighborhood.

Pros: delicious, creative and balanced food, pleasant atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Seed Kitchen: