Secret Sandwich Society

Serves meat, veg options available. Salads and sandwiches with a twist. Lots of in-house-made sides. Many things are vegan or can be made vegan. Wi-fi. Modern atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
103 1/2 Keller Ave (N Court St)
Fayetteville, West Virginia
Now Open

Mon 11:00am-9:00pm, Wed-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

First Review by pixarman

Highly recommended, left throughly disappointed...

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2015

Over the weekend, some omnivore friends and I, the only vegan, headed down to West Virginia to do some white water rafting. I had brought a good supply of food just in case there wasn't any options.

Looking for dinner one night, we asked a local what they recommended. They mentioned the Secret Sandwich Society. I loaded up Happy Cow and was pleasantly surprised to see that there were veg options mentioned. We were quickly seated and I began looking over the menu. There were dozens of meat sandwiches and only two that had fried eggplant on them. I inquired about the batter and it had both eggs and dairy in it, so not vegan friendly. I asked about what vegan options they had. They had a really tasty sounding soup that I was told might be vegan, but was definitely vegetarian. I asked what was in it and the first item was "chicken broth". I explained that the soup is not even vegetarian, let alone vegan. I was then directed to the salad section of the menu.

They had some veggie burgers, but used eggs in them. I ended up going with a small garden salad with a balsamic dressing. It was just ok, certainly not worth the $6.00 price. Their french fries were what was highly recommended, so I got a small side. I was told that they cooked them in the same oil as the fried eggplant and chicken sandwiches, which I guess makes them "mostly vegan". They didn't taste any better than a bag of frozen fries from the grocery either. The food took at least 25-30 mins to come to our table. They weren't overly crowded or anything either. I had to practically beg for a refill of water too.

The servers were nice and understanding, though not very knowledgeable about veg options, especially when it says to inquire about their options on the menu.

All in all my salad and fries came to $9.00 and tax. I left hungry, but all my meat-eating friends left satisfied and full. Their portions were huge.

I would not return to this place in the future.

Pros: Cool looking resturant, Nice and friendly staff
Cons: hardly any vegan options, staff not very knowledge about veg food, wait time for food was ridiculous

Dear Owner and Manager of Secret Sandwich Society: