Vegan eatery providing a healthy menu with changing daily themed specials. The "meats" are made from blends of soy, bean curd, tarot root, mushroom, yam, and other vegetable. Re-opened at this location Mar 2014; previously was inside Karrot health food on W 117th St in 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Southern American, Soul food, Caribbean, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering
55 St. Nicholas Ave (Harlem, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10026
212-222-0092

Open Tue-Sat 11am-3pm, 5-10pm.

First Review by DJL2011
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

great food

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2014

A little more expensive than other comparable restaurants, but the food is really good!

Definitely recommend the ribs, the mac & cheese, and the lemon-crusted chicken.

Pros: all vegan
Cons: pricey
madjoy
madjoy

Looove this place.

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

I order delivery from this place so often that I think they can tell my address by my voice.

Delicious mock meat and seafood entrees - their mock seafood is way better than the competition IMO. I also enjoy their take on vegan mac'n'cheese. And the desserts!! That salted chocolate chip pecan cookie is to die for as are all the cupcakes. Seasoned Vegan is an extremely welcome addition to the neighborhood.

They raised their prices for dinner a bit after the grand opening so it's no longer the cheapest place around, but lunch is still a great value.

My only very minor complaint is that their specials change daily so without calling or going to the restaurant it can be a little hard to know exactly what your options will be.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: not a huge menu
corinal
corinal

Fun to try

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

The mac and cheese was good (I was craving this), the lemon-crusted chicken nuggets were bland, but came with a good sauce. The masala chicken was pretty oily and not the greatest. The stuffed avocado was great though - good for getting a fix of fresh food. The desserts were amazing! The Manhattan fruit crumble was a wonderful mix of peaches and pears and the cinnamon roll cupcake was great.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great desserts
Cons: No bathroom, Had to request water

VeggieCanada
VeggieCanada

Wonderful food and service

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

My wife and I had an amazing meal at the Seasoned Vegan while on vacation in NYC. Both my wife's raw meal and my cooked one were so flavourful, the plating presentation was appealing to the eyes, and the service was great too! An added touch was having the owner, Miss Brenda come out of the kitchen and talk to each patron.

Pros: Delicious food, Great service and food presentation, Lovely decor
fisher-kemp
fisher-kemp
  • non-vegetarian

Seasoned Vegan

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

It was love at first bite!!! (Pun intended) Love the food! Love, Love, Love the staff! So gald they are in my neighborhood.

PennsyltuckyVeggie
PennsyltuckyVeggie

Grand Opening

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

In June 2012 Season Vegan held a Kick Starter campaign and surpassed its goal of $20,000.

This past Saturday they held a jolly Grand Opening with seats filled well into the evening, music and ah-MAY-zing food.

Vegan from top to bottom, it is not just the food that is wonderful at Seasoned Vegan. The art on the walls is stunning, the staff is warm and accurate and the overall vibe made for a very pleasant meal.

My family each got different entrés and the special that night was a crispy fried "chicken." My "Crawfish" in Basil Sauce was another mock meat like none I had ever had before and I know I will order it again. We had appetizers and dessert and when our son kindly picked up the bill he said, "The prices is really reasonable!"

The food was all presented really well even though they were slammed with customers. The sides of Mac and "Cheese", veggies and starches were nicely seasoned.

The best part honestly is the staff. Pascal greeted us warmly, stopped by to check on us and fill us in on a little history of the place and challenged us to guess how many pennies it took to decorate the unique floor (I won't spoil the guessing game for you)! One of the cooks/chefs came out to see how we liked our food and we left with hugs all around. How many places can you come in a stranger and leave hugging the staff!?

Harlem is blessed with this restaurant so make the trip (subway stop close by)and you will be so glad you did.

Pros: wonderful staff, vegan comfort food presented with class, lovely restaurant
Cons: parking is tricky - take the subway
Krutolow
Krutolow

Seasoned Vegan Hiding in Harlem

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2011

For the full review and pics see my blog Marty's Flying Vegan Review at www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspogt.com

Life is serendipitous. Look in just the right place at just the right time and you spend the rest of your life with your soulmate. Sliding Doors and all that.

So I was bored and just looking at my iPhone Tweetdeck and I see the menu of the day scroll by. Serendipitous, right? I ask half heartedly where this feast is being served thinking there are a million places I'm NOT going to be this beautiful fall day, ready to file it away for a visit to some distant city, but the answer actually is the one place I AM going to be. (Or could easily take a little detour to). 283 West 118th Street. I'm game. You never know, in New York City, about a neighborhood. Or a particular block. You can find either a diamond in the rough or a blemish in a diamond. As you can see in the picture below this area of New York City has new Co-ops going up and still has blocks of what the quintessential NY is architecturally known for; brownstones. This isn't really Harlem but Morningside Heights. I just liked the Hiding in Harlem title. What goes with Morningside Heights? MMMmmm...?

This "restaurant" is a little subspace inside of a little space called Lee Lee's Bakery. Lee's has it's own, (non vegan) history and a tradition of baking Jewish traditional sweets like rugaluch, and it was a tad disappointing, although I'm trying to limit my sweets to between none and non existent, to not be able to sample Mr. Lee's delicious looking treats.

There is nothing indicating that a vegan establishment lives here. You just gotta know.

You have to force your eyes away from the sweets and 90 degrees to your right is a hot counter manned by Aaron, the chef/owner's son. About 10 items await your selection and there is a standup menu board at...

Aaron is dishing out the comfort on a plate. Mom was out and didn't get back before I left so I owe her a picture.

Different days have different themes and this was Soul Saturday. Others are Fish Friday and Italian Night. All vegan. I got the XXLarge plate for 15 bucks plus an extra side for 4. XXL. It sort of sounds like I'm just a fat man buying a shirt. I'd work on those names a bit.

I had a taste of the Lemon Crispy Nugget and although I could see chowing down on 6 or 20 of them with a side of fries I opted for the more sauced items. I just like to sample the work of the chef and a fried nugget turns my

Pros: menu changes daily, flavorful comfort food, friendly staff
Cons: tiny venue, street parking, not one in my neighborhood
DJL2011
DJL2011

Food is a 15 out of 10

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

It's my favorite restaurant. The food is great. They have the best imitation chicken. The macaroni and cheese is good. I like how they season the yams. I highly recommend this to anyone, regardless of whether or not they are vegetarian.

Pros: Great Food, Great Customer Service, Near the C train

Dear Owner and Manager of Seasoned Vegan: