Scrumpy Willow and the...

Serves meat, veg options available. Locally sourced and fair trade food in a relaxed atmosphere, art work on the walls. Has vegetarian and vegan dishes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by hack_man
princessfireball
princessfireball

Pleasant food and vibe!

3 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

I used to frequent this cafe when I lived in Newcastle. The environment is very relaxing, and we never used to feel rushed. My favourite, the falafel mains, are cooked to perfection - the only letdowns are the slow service and limited seating. Starving folks aside, I would recommend this place to fellow veggies.

Pros: Relaxing surroundings, Pleasant staff, Plenty of vegan options
Cons: Slow service, Lack of seating
saramarshall
saramarshall

Really pleasant cafe

4 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

Really nice, welcoming cafe with a calm atmosphere. Serves lots of vegan options with them clearly marked on the menu, including breakfasts, meze, gado gado, salads and dahl. I had the dahl with rice, which was very tasty, well spiced and quite a huge portion. A very pleasant experience and I'd definitely go back and recommend. They don't take cards so make sure you have cash on you.

Pros: Tasty food, Choice, Friendly
Cons: Cash only
Prettyvisitor09
Prettyvisitor09

awesome food

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

I just ate the vegan breakfast and drank a vegan milkshake there, it was incredible. It was certainly the best vegan breakfast I'd ever tasted! The puy lentils were so tasty, I will certainly be going again ASAP and would recommend it to anyone reasonable prices too. Loved it, so happy to find somewhere to eat in Newcastle town centre too.

Pros: excellent food, decent price, very friendly service
Cons: none

FoodLover1974
FoodLover1974

Quirky

2 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

Quirky but expensive, I like the houmous there its really good there are always a couple little scones or cakes to choose from that they make themselves too! and you can enjoy a glass of wine during the day too, alwasy a bonus.

Pros: unusual, differant, amazing dips
Cons: Expensive, staff r so-so
newcastlevegan
newcastlevegan

excellent vegan food

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

We have been many times and its great to find good vegan food in Newcastle city centre.
It could be improved with more vegan options.

Pros: great vegan food, great vegan beers and wine, friendly staff
221B
221B

Not my cup of green tea...

2 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

I feel like I may be being controversial about this, but I didn't much enjoy my meal at Scrumpy Willow. That is not to say I think it is a bad establishment but rather not to my tastes and probably not to others. If, like me, you are not fussed about organic you may feel the same. I found it uncomfortable even getting a drink as everything was "fancy", I couldn't get a normal lemonade or coke which is always a bit of a security blanket when trying new food. So I had a weird tasting bottle of pop, which looked lovely ad quaint but tasted...off and chose I think the falafel which was a bit tasteless but spicy at the same time, wasn't great and just felt a bit uncomfortable and dissatisfied throughout. However, that being said, if you like quaint, you're not a creature of habit about brands and you love organic then it's the place for you. For me I just felt it was a bit stereotypical veggie rather than real veggie.

Pros: Nice Vibe, Bit of a change, Pretty
Cons: Cramped, Not particularly good food, Not much choice
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

daily vegan soup

3 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

Serves meat, but has some vegan options (and vegan items are not common enough in Newcastle). Vegan soup every day, served with homemade bread, £3.85. I had a tasty, though very peppery, winter vegetable soup. It was very busy on a Sunday afternoon. Seating available also upstairs.

Pros: some vegan items
GordonCraig
GordonCraig

Yes, yes, yes

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

Went here with the other half for dinner on Tuesday 12th and breakfast Wednesday 13th. I had the falafal for dinner she had the dahl. The falafal was very good, everything was very fresh and had a well cooked, home made flavour. My only gripe was that after tasting my partner's amazing dahl I wished I'd ordered that too!

The service was excellent, very friendly and attentive without being overbearing.

We returned the next day to sample the vegan breakfast before getting the train home and were equally impressed with it. There was a really good balance between everything on offer, the potato cake, home made baked beans and home baked bread were outstanding.

Once again the service was excellent and our food arrived in ample time allowing us to savour it before heading off to the station.

Like the food, the atmosphere of the place is homely. It's not a slick, shiny chain restaurant, but that's not what we expected or wanted. I can't say I noticed the paint work and the restaurant was clean enough for me. It also seemed bright enough, though we sat by the window both times so this may not reflect the whole place.

Pros: fresh food, good variety, friendly staff
JacquiLove
JacquiLove

No, no, no

1 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

I was really looking forward to this, but was very disappointed.
Dark, dirty and not very friendly staff. Seriously needs a lick of paint & cleaned

We have the Vegan breakfast and was warm! not very tasty at all. the Potato cake was not cooked through, tomatoes had not seen a grill or a pan and the beans were tasteless, even though they had made them themselves.
Step it up guys very disappointed :(

Pros: Central location
Cons: Dirty, Cold food
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

Very nice atmosphere of organic vegetarian food

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

This restaurant has a nice atmosphere and serving. It uses as much organic grown ingredients as possible (as far as I saw). The vegetarian food was very good. You can drink also organic beer, and all sorts of juices.

Friendly staff. And good location.

What more could one want. Aa! It is also not much difference in prices from other restaurants, i.e., not too expensive. (But also not cheep like take-away and not too extravagant)

The bad thing about this restaurant, as HappyCow sees it, is that it has some meat dishes (fish, chicken). But one can just ignore them and indulge in the good vegetarian and organic choices.

Pros: organic, nice staff, good food
Cons: no local ails
Princess_Fireball
Princess_Fireball

Scrumptious Home Cooked Meal!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2011

A wonderfully rustic atmosphere is guaranteed in all my visits to this intimate cafe. A refreshing selection of real ales, wines smoothies and lassis were available (as were mulled wine in November-December). Truly a little piece of heaven for veggies and non-veggies alike. Dishes were all flavoured well, adequate portions and all tasted delicious.
Loved the falafel!

Service times are inconsistent due to staffing but it may take over an hour on weekends (evenings). The total price for three of us for a two-course evening meal was approx. £40, which I feel is rather good value for money.

Pros: Good quality dishes, Cozy, Warm service
Cons: Cluttered with cushions, books etc, Lack of space, Not well ventilated on occasions
SarahRaven
SarahRaven

FANTASTIC

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2011

I had the pleasure of stumbling upon this lovely little cafe/restaurant, in a lovely georgian building. We were surprised to see that they also had a very good evening menu and served vegan friendly booze.

My younger brother went for a vegetarian breakfast, my mum vedgerie and I had a dahl. The dahl was beautiful - very flavoursome, it came in a pottery bowl and was topped with spinach leaves and a coconut topping, homemade bread on the side.

The place was busy and service was good - the food came up quickly.

In the evening the lights were turned low and we were shown to a table upstairs. A candle was lit and the ambiance was nice. We had a lovely bottle of english organic wine, which was surprisingly good.

I went for quinoa red grape salad for starters and then a polenta dish for main - the sauce was amazing! My mum went for sweet potato gnocchi and my brother the veggie crumble.

For dessert we had a vegan jelly ice cream, vegan apple crumble and banoffee pancakes.

I go there regularly now and would recommend this to anyone.

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff
Cons: small
Cara Cara
Cara Cara

Well I liked it

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2009

Unlike the review above I thought this place was great. The staff were friendly and the food beautiful. I had the passion cake too (with a vegan ice cream) and really enjoyed it (no lumps). Also had a great a very cheap vegan breakfast on another occassion, with all the yummy hot things you often miss out on. I much preferred to Bob Trollop.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, open long hours
scallymuffin
scallymuffin

Worst Veggie In The North East

1 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2009

food was horrible:
dahl completed burnt and seemed to be more along the lines of lets throw in whatever ingredients we have as opposed to what actually goes in a dahl
the vegan cake I had was similar. supposedly a chocolate cake but it had bits of fruit and nuts and ginger.. and no chocolate. There were also a few mouthfuls of pure bicarb of soda there. I don't know why the chef wanted his name put on the card next to it.

Seating:
the place is too small, they try to cram too many tables in so it has a cramped feeling and you're too close to the bar where the 2 (albeit very friendly) waitresses are run off their feet. which means the whole 'eating experience' is rather stressful. You satart worrying yourself about the clearing of table 2 or the milk pot for table 5!

Not the waitresses fault, the fault of the managment here: service is incredibly slow. Waited ages just for a tiny pot of dahl. It seems the kitchen staff wait till there have been enough orders of one meal and then prepare it, as opposed to who ordered first.

All in all, I would highly recommend you stay away. The food is just disgusting and mediocre.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: food, seating, slow service
hack_man
hack_man

Should be Veggie

3 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2008

Shame this place is not veggie, it has the right ambience, friendly staff and very importantly vegan cakes!! I don't understand why it just doesn't cut out the meat. Great vegeterian and good vegan choice, hot and cold drinks and cosy seating areas.

Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: sells meat

Dear Owner and Manager of Scrumpy Willow and the Singing Kettle: