Scoops - Melrose

Small dairy ice cream shop that also makes many daily changing vegan ice cream flavors. Usually offers 4 vegan ice cream flavors and 1 vegan sorbet each day. This is the 1st Scoops location, located directly across from Pure Luck veg restaurant. more-less

First Review by pgnlvr22b
Raesock
Raesock

Delicous ice cream!

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

A non vegan friend brought us here while we were in town saying he liked their vegan ice cream more than their dairy based ones. It definitely did not disappoint! I had a scoop of salted oreo and one of the strawberry balsamic. I couldn't pick a favorite, they were both excellent. The guy behind the counter was very friendly and let us sample all the vegan flavors before deciding what to get. The price was ok for locally made ice cream, and it was some of the most delicious I have ever had! I loved that they offered half price refills too! If we lived nearby, Scoops would be a regular stop for us!

Pros: delicious, inventive flavors, half priced refills
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great ice cream!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

Scoops has a rotating selection of ice creams, with several vegan options per day, plus some of their sorbets/sherbets will be vegan, so ask about those, too.

All flavors are made in-house, and you can suggest new flavors on the board next to the door.

Free samples, prices aren't too bad for a local spot, and the flavors are unique but delicious. Don't be afraid to try something, even if it sounds weird (fruit flavors+vinaigrette sounds weird but is quite tasty).

People have made a stink about the 'veganness' of this place, since they don't have a designated, separate scoop for the vegan flavors. If that bugs you, you can ask them to wash it. Different employees are more or less friendly on this. They just put the scoop back in the water rinse spot like a Baskin Robbins would do, etc, whether it's been used for vegan or dairy ice cream. So, now you know.

I definitely recommend it, though. There is some seating inside and outside, but it's not much.

Pros: Rotating/new flavors, Vegan ice cream
Cons: Limited seating
thetalkstops
thetalkstops

Update

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2011

Scoops is still at this location and still great, but Pure Luck vegan restaurant, mentioned in a lot of reviews, has closed. This is still a spot worthwhile to stop by for vegans but it is not quite as close to a vegan food place.

Easy to get to walking from the Metro Red Line subway stop at Vermont and Santa Monica Blvd

Pros: great ice cream, vegan
Fritz
Fritz

Refreshing!

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2011

After lunch yesterday at Pure Luck, we headed across the street to Scoops for ice cream. NOT a mistake, as we found Scoops' ice cream to be very tasty and refreshing! I had two scoops of the pecan maple soy-based ice cream, and my partner had two other flavors (both dairy-based), one of which I think was called either Burnt Sugar or Burnt Cinammon; can't recall the name of the other one. We were both quite pleased with our ice cream, and also by the pleasant, very clean establishment. The server was efficient and helpful. I have little doubt that we'll be making Scoops a stop following future meals at Pure Luck!

Pros: Delicious ice cream!, Soy-based options, Clean, pleasant shop
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

SOOOOOO Good!

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

I've been devastated recently by the recent departure of Ice Pan from the vegan ice cream scene in Los Angeles. I go to Sweet Rose on the west side now, but if I'm in the neighborhood I'll always pop in to see what inventive flavors they have going. There are always two vegan selections and don't forget you can make yours into a root beer float! Cash only, though.

Pros: inventive flavors, always changing flavors, inexpensive
Cons: cash only

rockchick82
rockchick82

Yummy!

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

I had the banana pecan oreo non dairy icecream. I thought it was fantastic and very affordable. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a quick snack!

Colinski
Colinski

Great dessert after Pure Luck or any time

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

Scoops is known as an "experimental" ice cream shop, frequently trying many strange ingredients in its ice cream. In line with being open-minded, they always have a few non-dairy flavors, and every time I've been it's been excellent.

Pros: VEGAN ICE CREAM!
Cons: Lousy parking
Chia
Chia

Vegan Flavors Offered Daily

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2010

I've been here a couple times and am pleased to share my review on HappyCow. The staff is friendly and doesn't mind letting people try samples of different flavors. I've tried around 5 or so vegan flavors... I think the chocolate ones are good and there is a good pistachio one. While I'm happy for the vegan ice cream flavors, I thought they were too sweet for my taste.

(One of the best vegan ice creams I've had so far in the greater Los Angeles area is KindKreme in Studio City - it's an all vegetarian and mostly vegan place.)

Pros: friendly, vegan friendly, decent pricing
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Vegan Ice Cream

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2010

We have been coming to Scoops for years. It's right next to the LA City College and the place is simple with a few tables (love the spoon mobile hanging from the ceiling). There are always several vegan options to choose from. All the flavor combinations are unique and as they constantly change, there's too many to list, but Oreos with something else (banana, chocolate or maple for example) are a common theme as are flavors with alcohol or chocolate. The sorbets often have tropical fruits with more than one flavor mixed together. I love lychee and passionfruit ones. The size of the scoops are generous for a great price. And yes, if you bring back your plastic cup, you will get a discount (the small scoop becomes $2). In fact, our cups are so old with a different style that we recently got an even better discount for being long term customers. :-) They also make soy milk shakes which are delicious. And ice cream cakes too! We had a pumpkin one for the holidays. And not to leave out the fact that you can also buy it by the gallon (special order). Dirk got some for his work's monthly birthday celebration and no one knew the difference! The vegan ice cream is so awesome. One of Dirk's favorite foods is ice cream, so we are here often and all the employees, including the owner, have been so nice. And don't forget to eat at Pure Luck across the street too!

Pros: vegan ice cream, great price for a generous scoop, nice owner
pgnlvr22b
pgnlvr22b

Amazing

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2010

We had the soy based pistacio orange water, chocolate pecan, and banana oreo ice creams and OMG they were amazing. You get 2 scoops as a small for $2.75 and the scoops are huge, the cones are vegan as well. It is a very small place, but they do have outdoor seating. It is just so much fun to be able to walk into an ice cream parlor and walk out with an ice cream cone or cup. If you stay they use reuseable cups, tiny shovel like spoons, and will let you taste anything and everything that you desire...I have heard that if you get a cup to go, wash it and bring it back the next time you get a discount, if its true thats pretty eco friendly as well.

Pros: Great Value, Vegan Ice Cream, Inventive Flavors

Dear Owner and Manager of Scoops - Melrose: