Science Club

Restaurant and bar in Washington DC. There are four floors in the converted row house, two have bars with some tables, two have just tables. The menu is a mix of vegetarian and vegan small plates with a few main entrees. All the vegan items are clearly labeled, along with vegan substitutions (e.g. vegan aioli for mayo). Weekday happy hour and DJs later in the evening. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Asian Fusion, Beer/Wine

First Review by zaphod46
aner1kind17
aner1kind17

Ok Food

3 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

I want to love science club because of the name, location, and the fact that its veg. But they aren't open for lunch, odd for a prime office location and when I finally made it to happy hour, food was ok not great.

geobrad7
geobrad7

I really want to like it. But I don't.

2 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

I have been to this restaurant several times, each time with high expectations, only to be gravely let down.

I also was apparently a victim of the credit card scam that the staff commit. I actually thought it was a legitimate mistake until I saw another review on here with someone saying they had the same problem. I am now convinced it was no coincidence.

The service is consistently very slow and the staff don't seem to pay much attention to your order. The staff prefer to stand right in front of the entrance smoking with no concern as to if it bothers customer (which it does). The impression I get is that the restaurant does not really care about customers interested in vegan options: being a vegetarian restaurant, I would think the vegan options would be plentiful but they are not so great; they ran out of vegan cheese; they over-charged me for my dessert (rang up more than menu list price); and I have been given food that was supposed to be vegan but was not.

To make it all even worse, when confronted with problems (I was nice about it though), the owner Steve Maguire seems disinterested in making things right and making the customer happy.

Pros: Atmosphere, Drink options
Cons: Horrible service and management, Inadequate vegan options, Credit card scam
evzilla
evzilla

Horrible food, horrible service, credit card fraud

2 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2013

Zero stars.

My burger was burnt on the outside and cool moosh inside, my friend's food was cold, and though we left a large cash tip (even though we weren't quite sure which of the 3 or 4 bored hipsters was waiting on us) for horrible service, they added their own enormous tip to the credit card receipt.

Oh, and everything took forever and the music just kept getting louder and louder. Worst vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to.

Pros: technically it's food, if you drink, plenty of booze
Cons: food sucks, staff sucks, they'll steal your money
HJTravels
HJTravels

• non-vegetarian

IF I COULD GIVE IT ZERO COWS I WOULD!

2 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

IF I COULD GIVE IT ZERO STARS I WOULD, IT'S THAT BAD!

First off I came here because a very close friend was having a birthday gathering. It was apparently one of the only places that takes groups for parties, etc.

Before entering the Science Club there is a small patio area in the front of the place. It has a single gas fired heater and there were 3 people standing near it taking and blocking the walkway. We walked past them to get into the place and one of the people was extremely rude. He exclaimed it wasn't nice to walk through while they were having a conversation. I told him if he wanted to have a conversation he should step to the side as it's rude to block the way. He then asked us if we were 21. I asked him if he actually worked there, as he was wearing street clothes and nothing that said Science Club on him. He then exclaimed he was the owner of the club (Steve Maguire). I asked him why he was just wearing street clothes and he had no answer. He wasn't interested in checking our ID but I was immediately suspicious of his rudeness and actions.

We then proceeded in to make an appearance before leaving, as I wasn't going to spend any money at a place with such a rude owner. We were there for a little bit and noticed some of the people in our group had some difficulties with their bills. Also the menu wasn't much to look at and the people in our group had nothing good to say about the food.

On our way out of the club I said good night to Steve and he replied with some snide comments that were completely unwarranted.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are going to run a business that depends on people and foot traffic, don't be rude to the customers.

Pros: freindly waiter, friendly bartender
Cons: extremely rude owner, smells like urine
veganvixenamy
veganvixenamy

Cheeze or Cheese

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2013

So I went there tonight. Awesome atmosphere! Hip. I ordered the vegan quesadillas & some one else at my table ordered animal cheese quesadillas...when the food came the server did not know which was which & some one else had to come over with a flashlight & verify which was which based on the vegetable fillings. I had been expecting that since I ordered the VEGAN quesadillas, I would be served vegan sour cream... Thankfully I asked to double check cuz they didnt serve me vegan cream cheese!! :(
That was not cool. Other than that the food was pretty good. Too much cheese & not enough veggies on the quesadilla... But very fresh garden rolls! I sampled the quinoa stiffed portabello & that was pretty good. Not the beat vegan food but it was a fun atmosphere. The menu was kind of small but I would love to try other things on it, maybe they would impress me more.

Pros: nice atmosphere, fresh garden rolls, very cheesy vegan quesadilla
Cons: mix up over vegan vs not, somewhat slow service on a wednesday night, no vegan sour cream!

NicoleF
NicoleF

Amazing!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

This is by far the best vegan food my family has had! We had the vegan black bean nachos, tofu skewers and the veggie burger. Yum! I wish we had time to go back!!

Pros: Awesome food, Friendly staff
Cons: No highchair
Shel Graves
Shel Graves

Great Happy Cow recommendation in D.C.

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2012

A walkable distance from the National Mall, the Science Club offers great music and atmosphere and a most delicious veggie burger (green and yummy) and the most decadent, delicious vegan brownie drizzled in dark chocolate and raspberry sauce.

Pros: Music, Atmosphere, Tasty
Lettuce Muncher
Lettuce Muncher

Loud, aimed at younger group, worth a try

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

I was excited about this place because of the name but when we arrived it was very loud and the service left much to be desired. We ordered a Long Island Ice Tea for ten dollars and the Hummus Plate with French bread (they sent pita instead) and the gardenburger with fries. The service was very slow and when I went to wash my hands the bathroom was in the bar which was booked for a birthday party and I couldn't get through. I felt we were definitely on the older side of the customers and I'm only 28! I think this would be a great place for those who like crowds and drinking and the food is good but there is nothing sciency about it!

Pros: Food was good, All Vegan
Cons: Loud, Slow service, Expensive
zaphod46
zaphod46

Great Lounge

4 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2010

I was looking for something a bit nicer than casual dining, but not at the cloth napkin level. Science Club fits the bill perfectly.

I went for happy hour and got $4 beers along with the house veggie burger and fries. The burger was great. It seemed to be a falafel-inspired creation, but with more than just chickpeas going on inside. The fries were served with a vegan aioli that seemed to also be house made. It wasn't as strong on the garlic as I would have liked, but given that it seemed to be a popular dating spot, this was probably done on purpose.

I didn't stay for the DJ, but the music they were playing was great. It was interesting enough to just listen to, but the bartender made sure it was always quiet enough to talk.

Pros: tasty, ambience, full bar
Cons: small tables, 21+

Dear Owner and Manager of Science Club: