My favorite truck in Austin for sure. Lots of fantastic options for vegans, my favorite is the Rueben. And you absolutely MUST try the vegan potato salad; it's just the best!Pros: Wonderful food!, Best Potato Salad!
As part of our long vegan lunch excursions, my coworker and I ventured out to the Schmaltz food trailer in East Austin. She had just chatted me before lunch and sent me a link to their Facebook page. The photos looked enticing, and I told her that I wanted to go there ASAP. The food truck, which offers both vegan and vegetarian items, was located at 913 E Cesar Chavez and tucked behind Domy Book.
We were greeted by the owner, Julia Hungerford, and after checking out the menu, I ordered the Frankenthaler Falafel. It all sounded so amazing, but I was confident in my choice. While we waited for our food, we snagged a spot in the outdoor dining area. I loved the seating and gazed up at what looked like a parachute strung above us that provided ample shade. There were even little lights hanging, which makes me want to visit one evening for the mood lighting.
Soon we received our food, and after I unwrapped my Falafel, I quickly snapped a picture and then dove right in. I only wish I had taken a picture of my coworker's Harvey P Seitan Pastrami Reuben, but we were so caught up with hunger and anticipation that I was lucky enough to get a picture of my own food! The food tasted amazing and we've already planned another trip with more coworkers. I can't wait to go back and try out some other vegan options.Pros: excellent food, friendly owner, nice vibe
- Link to this page from your site. Entry info.
- Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
- Business Owners, if you see an unfair review, read this.
- Why was my review removed? - details
- Reviews are not endorsed by HappyCow - review terms
- Has Shhmaltz - Food Truck closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
- This page has been viewed 995 times since Jan 2013.