Shhmaltz - Food Truck

All vegetarian, mostly vegan Jewish deli-style food trailer behind Domy Books. Makes falafel wraps with tahini, vegan reuben with seitan, pastrami reuban and chipotle Russian dressing; plus homebrewed kombucha and seasonal pickle samplers. Gated picnic area seating. Operating since Oct 2012; previously as Schmaltz. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Israeli, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by thelittleredjournal

Best little food truck in Austin!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

My favorite truck in Austin for sure. Lots of fantastic options for vegans, my favorite is the Rueben. And you absolutely MUST try the vegan potato salad; it's just the best!

Pros: Wonderful food!, Best Potato Salad!

Great Reuben & Potato Salad

5 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2013

As part of our long vegan lunch excursions, my coworker and I ventured out to the Schmaltz food trailer in East Austin. She had just chatted me before lunch and sent me a link to their Facebook page. The photos looked enticing, and I told her that I wanted to go there ASAP. The food truck, which offers both vegan and vegetarian items, was located at 913 E Cesar Chavez and tucked behind Domy Book.

We were greeted by the owner, Julia Hungerford, and after checking out the menu, I ordered the Frankenthaler Falafel. It all sounded so amazing, but I was confident in my choice. While we waited for our food, we snagged a spot in the outdoor dining area. I loved the seating and gazed up at what looked like a parachute strung above us that provided ample shade. There were even little lights hanging, which makes me want to visit one evening for the mood lighting.

Soon we received our food, and after I unwrapped my Falafel, I quickly snapped a picture and then dove right in. I only wish I had taken a picture of my coworker's Harvey P Seitan Pastrami Reuben, but we were so caught up with hunger and anticipation that I was lucky enough to get a picture of my own food! The food tasted amazing and we've already planned another trip with more coworkers. I can't wait to go back and try out some other vegan options.

Pros: excellent food, friendly owner, nice vibe

Dear Owner and Manager of Shhmaltz - Food Truck: