Vegetarian cafe hidden away behind a false bookcase in the bookshop. Organic food and drinks many of which are fair trade. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, Western, Take-out

BeccySpurr
BeccySpurr

Simply Wonderful

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

I was treated to lunch in the café at Scarthian Books ( http://www.scarthinbooks.com/scarthin-cafe/ ) yesterday and it was gorgeous, it took me ages to make up my mind what to have as I wanted all of it! Those of you who have suffered the chore of eating out with me or my endless complaining about the poor choice veggies/vegans suffer, will know that is a very rare occurrence. In the end I opted for homity pie through the medium of eeny meeny miny mo! It was sumptuous I couldn’t fit in a slice of the devilishly handsome-looking cakes so I'm going back to claim a piece of the banana and pistachio heaven. I whole heartedly recommend that you visit should the opportunity arise and if it doesn't orchestrate it, you wont be sorry!

Pros: Excellent veggie/vegan food, Friendly service
damon
damon

Gorgeous!

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

A lovely calm in the storm on a wet misty day. Very friendly people. The cafe is hard to spot as it's upstairs in a warren of bookshelves. Had a fantastic Homity pie with loads of lovely salad. Even had vegan cake! Loads of choice for vegans.

Pros: Good for vegans, Friendly , Great home made food
Cons: Needs better Wi-Fi
nigeltart
nigeltart

Magical bookshop

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

I instantly fell in love with this rambling old higgledy-piggledy bookshop, with every last nook and cranny filled with books.

I couldn't believe my luck when I found a veggie cafe. It's over half vegan. I had a delicious homity pie and salad with a soya latte. My friend said her scone (not vegan) was the best she'd ever tasted - and she's quite a connoisseur.

We ate in the garden - it's built on a steep hillside; the cafe's upstairs then you go out the back door and up some more steps to a sunny little terrace among the rooftops.

The staff were really friendly, but it's not fast food. I think I waited 25 mins.

Pros: Wide vegan choice, Garden, Amazing building!
Cons: Slow service

apriltui
apriltui

Best location for a cafe!

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

We have visited this cafe many times over the last few years. Behind a bookshelf in this wonderful bookstore, it is a great find for hungry walkers & cyclists. I do have to say we were disappointed this time with the food quality having slipped a bit. The cakes were old and then still out 2 days later! The menu needs changing and there is a lady during the week serving who is a hit grumpy- a shame in such a lovely space.

Pros: Location, Wide choice of food, Well priced
Cons: Menu hasn't changed, Grumpy staff , Stale cakes
  • apriltui apriltui

Well, they could have been different but as they were some kinds with less slices we figure they were the same. I have baked for years. so I know an old cake when I taste one. Its unfortunate if the person serving was ill, but she is always grumpy and we go a lot. I wouldn't say massively rude, but a shame for such a lovely cafe not to have friendly happy staff. The menu does need to change though.

• Joolz2 Joolz2

Hi i just wondered how you assessed the cakes were old and how you think they were the same ones 2 days later. isnt it possible that cakes were got out and were unfortunately the same flavours again? Also i happen to know that one of the women that worked there had been ill (and had to have a major operation last year ) maybe she was having a bad day with pain.

ravenswing
ravenswing

Yummy food, cute little place and great priced :-)

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2012

Place was lovely, surrounded by books with a really original feel. The food came quickly and was sooo delicious!! Vegan choccy cake was very moist and tastey. Would recomend

Pros: Great food, great price, cute place
Joolz2
Joolz2

Amazing Food

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2008

Since a change of hands last year I can honestly say the quality and quantity of the food has changed for the better. It is wonderful tasty food, lots of choices, vegan, vegi, dairy free and gluten free. Last week there was even a gluten and dairy free dessert, it was yummy well worth a visit. 10 gold stars to the cook.

Pros: Cheerful staff, Amazing food, Lots of choice
dogfox
dogfox

Lunch

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

Fascinating place. Winding my way through all the books to reach the cafe is worth a trip on it's own. The food was great same goes for the staff! Vegan cheesecake was a surprise and very tasty. Can't praise it enough and will be going back to visit. At least half the menu is vegan and the rest veggie Malcolm

Pros: excellent food, good value, large portions
Cons: hard to choose from good menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Scarthin Books Cafe: