Vegan industrial style inspired bistro with a cozy retro vibe. Offers an extensive breakfast from a British with baked beans or continental including cereal, fruit salad, bread, vegan cheese, vegan sausage, jams, spreads, vegetables and more. Offers daily specials such as pizza, chili, soups, waffles. Regular daily menu items include a variety of sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs and salads (leaf, herb and grain salads). Also you will find cupcakes, cakes, chocolate and other snacks in addition to smoothies, shakes, soft drinks, coffee and tea. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Fast food, American, Pizza, Juice bar, Take-out
Burgfriedenstrasse 2
Frankfurt, Germany 60489
+49-0-69-74223160

Open Tue-Fri 9am-7pm, Sat 9am-5pm, closed Sun-Mon.

First Review by flightattendant
Editor
Editor

Not enough bread and no cakes? - Surprise,surprise

2 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

We've been to the Savory 5 times since it has opened. First for breakfast. At this time, it was fairly new, there was no printed menu, so we had no clue what the breakfast consists of and how much it costs. When we got our breakfast (containing vegan cheese and "Aufschnitt" (vegan ham and salami)), we did not get enough bread to put the slices on, and when we asked, they said they are out of bread but they could pack us the cheese and ham for take away. Well, if we wanted to have breakfast at home, we would've stayed at home! We were a bit puzzled, since if they were really out of bread, they could've easily got some from the many shops in the neighbourhood, and even more so when we saw that other people were already getting their lunch - with toast and rolls (sandwiches)! So they DID have bread. We, however, had to eat our cheese and ham without any, which is not our concept of breakfast. When the bill came, we were surprised at how very expensive this "breakfast" was, and we even had to pay for the coffees separately! The next time, we tried to go for a piece of cake. We were surprised (again) they are closed on a Sunday afternoon, because this is the time when most people want to go for "cake and coffee". So we tried a Saturday. No cake left. We only had a coffee. We tried another Saturday, this time, quite early. No cake and no cupcake left, but we spoke to the girl at the counter, who PROMISED she will bring carrot cakes next Saturday and reserve them for us. When we showed up the following Saturday (and we don't live next door, by the way), she could not even remember having spoken to us, of course there were no carrot cakes, and she said we should really phone beforehand and reserve a table. For a cupcake? No thanks. This was the last time we tried, we were really fed up.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 23, 2014

Pros: Cute little interior
Cons: Closed on Sundays, Cakes always sold out, Poor breakfast
Tank242
Tank242

Vegan food is not always healthy ;-)

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2014

But once in a while you want to go for burger or something awfully sweet. That is when I choose Savory.
All in all a good place for the fast food lover. Don't expect anything sophisticated raw or health-food!

Pros: Price to value, Nice interior
Cons: Far out from the inner city, sometimes unfriendly staff
PatrickVerde
PatrickVerde

2 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

I went together with a friend to the Savory. I can't understand why it has so many good responses until now. They have a little small range of food on the menue. We were really disappointed about that, because we went special with the train to the Savory, which is far away from Frankfurt centrum.
Beside the small range of food, the portions were really small. (Bad price-performance ratio) We spent over 20 Euro for food and still had to go with hungry feelings. The food was also not really hot. We were the only guests in this location and the 2 ladys observated us the whole time... Kind of scary. In addition to this, they were not really friendly. I really don't like to give negative responses to vegan places, but this really needs improvement.

Cons: Bad price-performance ratio, Cold food, Unfriendly staff

Tofuschnecke
Tofuschnecke

Vegan Fast Food

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

Nice place to have a vegan burger or hot dog. But I miss fries or other hot sides! The menu is a bit limited.
They also have breakfast, but not interesting enough to leave my couch on sunday mornings ;)
I haven't tried the sweets since they aren't delivered by the The Rebel Cakery (great vegan donuts!) anymore, so I can't say anything about these.

Pros: All vegan, Tasty burgers, Nice interior
Cons: Limited menu, A bit pricey
itmustbebunnies
itmustbebunnies

Cozy bistro

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

Very cozy interior. I had the burger which was really, really good. It came with chips but you can order it with a side salad, too, if you want (pay extra). Also had some chocolate cake which was delicious. Very friendly staff. I will definitely go again :).

Pros: Friendly staff, Cozy atmosphere, Yummy food
Cons: Small, Food selection could be bigger
simdi
simdi

Very delicious!

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

Very homy and delicious little bistro! I definately LOVE the hotdogs with onions, vegan cheese and vegan sausages...

Pros: Delicious, fair (low) prices, very homy
Cons: a bit small, opens too late, closes too early
NadineMueller
NadineMueller

Awesome!

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

Just dropped by at the opening party and I love the ambience. But it's a bit small. :( But maybe it'll grow soon...
The food is awesome! Tasty hotdogs, burgers, sweets etc.! This is vegan style! ;)

Pros: low prices, tasty, ambience
Cons: opening hours, small
toxi
toxi

THE place to be!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

During your trip to Europe- don't miss to drop by Savory! Definately the most "special" place to be at.... Stylish, delicious, vegan... what else can one ask for? Won't regret ;-)

Pros: very special atmosphere, great staff, good value
ts_happycow
ts_happycow

savory, ausergewöhnliches Ambiente, klasse Essen

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

I've been there a view times and it's always been absolutely delicious. The burger is sensational and the hot dogs as well as the sandwiches are great. Sweets like cupcakes, Donuts and cakes are extremely yummi. Service can be improved, however the savory just opened 4 weeks ago and I'm sure the service will get up to speed soon.

Pros: Essen, Ambiente
greenhexi
greenhexi

Another cake place / Missed the vegan backgr. info

3 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2012

The place is brand new and the room (a few tables, counter is open bakery display) is very cozy. Service will improve over time, I'm sure. Cake was so-so (nice chocolaty cupcake but the icing was horrible), the small selection of lunch food not good. Salad was limp and greasy, the burger (no sides, just a patty with lots of sauce and a bun) tasted of tuna which is not to my taste. What I really did not like at all was that I felt babied - Asking what the patty was made of: wheat-based. More question brought no more answers, just staring. The neighboring table asked what the breakfast consists of: "Wurst, Kaese, Nutella". No information what these things are made of and since when is Nutella vegan??? - I don't know who they expect here but I would expect more qualified answers from the manager/waitress. Two more things: I did not like the resident dog running around all the food. Also, this place seems to be more cake-focused than lunch focused, and let's be honest: all three vegan places in Frankfurt are cake-focused? What we vegans need is a place where we can get lunch or dinner...

Pros: Existence, Ambiente
Cons: Ingredients not released, Lunch food not good
  • toxi toxi

uhhhmmm, it's a bistro- not a restaurant. so naturally they're focused on breakfast/burgers/snacks... my burger was extremely delicious... same w/the "hotdog"... although it did remind me very much of the "real thing" - so I won't have it again ;-) Been there a couple of times, never seen a doggy runnin' around... wouldn't mind though... doggy is probably not involved in the preparation of the meals

• toxi toxi

oh, forgot to mention... everything is vegan there... even if it has names to resemble the "original"... like "Nutella"... this is just to help the vegan "newsters" or non-vegans (yet)

flightattendant
flightattendant

Nice Cafe

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2012

The waitress was very kind and the location is sweet. Everything they sell is fresh and they prepare it fresh for you. I've eaten a very very burger.

Dear Owner and Manager of Savory: