Vegetarian food restaurant near Chiang Mai Gate. Offers a limited menu cooked by a nice Thai-speaking woman. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Thai, Take-out
Tambon Hai Ya, Thesaban Nakhon Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai ‎
Chiang Mai, Thailand 50100
n/a

Open Mon-Sat 7am-3pm, closed Sun.

• Cash only

First Review by KarolGajda
SamMmmm
SamMmmm

satisfying simplicity

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

Simple, tasty, cheap, wholesome vegan food. Just my kind of thing. Nothing fancy at all, small basic restaurant with friendly owners. Fab

Pros: tasty, cheap, simple
msvegan
msvegan

Just Okay

3 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

The ladies that run this are very nice. The hygiene is not very good. There are about 25 menu items. I had the soup and a curry. It was okay but nothing great. I think the other places down the street have much better food.

Pros: Vegan, Inexpensive, Easy to find
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Nothing special

3 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2011

The lady who runs this place is certainly nice and friendly (although the other lady was quite the opposite). Very simple menu of about 20 items, in both Thai and English. The plus was that it's not in a buffet style cabinet (we're soooo over those). We tried the pad kra prow and some fried rice with curry - we thought the latter would be curry with rice but it was actually curry flavoured fried rice. Neither of the dishes were anything to write home about. The kra prow was on the tasteless side and the fried rice was a bit too tasty. Together I guess they balanced each other out... Portion sizes were tiny. Usually we'd eat a lot more but nothing on the menu nor what we'd already tasted was inspiring us much (and we suspected there was probably MSG in there somewhere too), so we decided to head to pun pun organic restaurant for a proper fill.

Pros: some of it might be cooked fresh?, friendly owner
Cons: small portions, not many vegetables, taste nothing special
Arlovegan
Arlovegan

Great place and nice lady

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2011

Don't go with first impression. Don't let the funky plastic stools and plastic table clothes fool you. This little place has great food at great prices and the lady who runs it is very sweet. Thai style inexpensive vegan food and it's really vegan. No yellow egg noodles or carnation milk behind the scenes. If you are looking to impress a hot date this might not be the place but if you just want some good grub, you cant go wrong.

Pros: Excellent food, Really vegan, Great value
Cons: Funky atmosphere could be a turn off for some
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Cheap but nothing to write home about

3 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

All the dishes here are in the 25-30 baht range so quite inexpensive however the portions are small and it was nothing exceptional. I had the sweet vegetable stir fry...it wasn't bad by any means but nothing memorable. If you're in the neighborhood swing by and grab a bite but by no means a destination.

Pros: Cheap, Low key, Local
Cons: Small portions, Nothing exceptional

KarolGajda
KarolGajda

My favorite veg restaurant in Chiang Mai

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

Some quick details: The price per dish is 25 Baht and this place is open from 7:00 - 15:00. (Closed Sunday and during the yearly Songran Festival.)

WOW, I love this place. The owner only speaks Thai. When you walk in, bow and say "Sawadee Krup/Ka" (depending on your gender) and she will treat you like a grandchild. :) She is all smiles and very kind. I order 4 meals from here every...single...day. 2 to eat in, and 2 take out and put in my fridge for later. Although my record for one day is 6 meals. :)

The English menu has 9 options. My recommendation is get whatever you like. I'm not a huge fan of noodles (I know, blasphemy in Thialand) so I usually order the non-noodle dishes. My favorites are Khow-Phat and Phat-Pak. The soup (it's just Soup on the menu) is amazing.

Don't be afraid to drink the free water provided. (I know some traveler's are weary of water-borne illness.) It's perfectly fine. Free ice cubes in a big bucket as well. :)

You will not usually find expats or backpackers here. This is a legitimate Thai place. Look for the sign that says "Save Thunya" and "Vegetarian Food" on your right hand side as you're walking south down Nantharam Rd (south of Chiang Mai Gate). If you reach Smith Residence (a very nice serviced apartment building) you've gone too far.

I implore you. You must absolutely, positively, no ifs, ands, or buts about it eat here.

Pros: awesome food, awesome owner, great prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Save Thunya: