Saturn Cafe - Berkeley

A second Saturn Cafe location, opened in August 2010 (the original one is in Santa Cruz). Vegetarian diner serving veggie burgers, fries, and shakes. Funky decor with also a Space Lounge that hosts live shows, DJs, karaoke, and local artwork; available for private parties and events. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2175 Allston Way (Oxford St)
Berkeley, California 94704
510-845-8505

Open Mon-Fri 11am-12am, Sat-Sun 10am-12am.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by vegan_geek
ScienceGuy
ScienceGuy

Late Night Burger & Beer

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

Most veggie places in Berkeley close around 10pm, but a lot of UC night-classes don't get out until 9:30pm. Well, Saturn is open plenty late. They have perfect diner food and surprisingly good coffee. For me it's a no-brainer: get the diablo burger with vegan jack cheese and a PBR. Or a vegan shake with a side of the famous fries.

Minus 1 star for not being vegan despite having pamphlets near the exit explaining the tremendous animal abuse inflicted by companies that sell dairy/eggs.

Pros: open late, beer, friendly staff
Cons: not all vegan, shadow box tables can be unappetizing, food is delicious but can be pretty heavy
veganjess86
veganjess86

cheap decent food

3 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

Saturn has cheap decent food, if you want a burger, fries, and shake this is your place. Also a really fun atmosphere with pink walls, glitter, and funky tables.

just_a_mom
just_a_mom

Peanut Not-so-Royale

2 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

The burgers may be good but the Peanut Royale was a disaster. I was served tired vegetables on forgettable rice covered with a sauce that was more like a flour gravy than a peanut sauce. (It was white!) Has anyone working there ever tasted a true peanut sauce? And the taquitos on the appetizer sampler had a strange floral taste to them. Even my husband found them disgusting.
To add insult to injury, the wait staff seemed completely uninterested in the customers and never even asked about our food. It was obvious that there was a problem with at least one of the meals at the table and no one asked about it. What a waste of money.
We will never eat there again.

Pros: easy to get a table, son enjoyed the milkshake
Cons: very poor quality food, uninterested wait staff
SunnyOutdoors
SunnyOutdoors

just go straight for the fries-Diner Atmosphere ,

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

they have a this awesome good vegan sauces for taquitoes.. that no one else has.. CHipolet sauce...

There's also a fudge cake which I didn't order. I know it'll be too sweet for me, but knowing there's a vegan version out there is really cool.

Nice atmosphere, great for dating

This place will make you feel like a young kid again...in a good way!

Pros: service, variety, memories
Cons: fries are bad, ha ha
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Great Diner Style Veg Fare

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

If you are not looking for health food, Saturn Cafe is a great place to visit. I had a vegan mint choc. chip that was super tasty, as well as vegan nachos.
I was disappointed when I ordered the Santa Fe salad with the vegan option (assuming this meant they simply used vegan cheese instead of dairy) only to find out upon getting my food that the faux chicken they use is not vegan and simply left out. This wasn't a big deal, but I felt it should have been explained and instead I was left with an underwhelming salad.
I still enjoyed my experience and would go back if visiting Berkeley.
My husband had the jalapeno burger which he seemed quite pleased with. The staff was also very accommodating to my friend's 2 year old by providing things such as a plain burger patty, and diced avocados upon request.

Pros: Tasty vegan junk food, Vegan shakes, Neat atmosphere
Cons: Bit pricey for diner food
Vaja
Vaja

Great fries and milkshakes, but too expensive...

3 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

Saturn is a cute restaurant that serves up vegetarian diner food. It is on the pricy side of things and most of what they serve is processed food that one can buy at the grocery store such as griller patties, taquitos, etc. Their homemade burger which they recently made vegan is a soggy mushy mess which is unfortunate because I'm not a huge fan of Grillers which is the only other vegan burger they offer besides the portabello burger which is great! I am a big fan of the skinny fries especially with a side of the vegan ranch which is super tasty. I also really enjoy the vegan vanilla milkshake with peanut butter added, amazing! Their salads are fresh and tasty as are their dressings, although I do think it's ridiculous that they charge an extra $2 to sub a salad for fries. The soup is hit or miss although I really enjoy their tortilla soup! The vegan breakfast burrito is pretty good although I wasn't impressed by the salsa and would rather the tofu spread and guac be in the actual burrito rather than on the side. Oh, the tofu spread is excellent and I much prefer it to Follow Your Heart vegan cheese which is flavorless and boring. I also like that they serve RC cola!

Pros: open late, vegan options, cute space
Cons: expensive, mostly processed food, easily made at home
statyc1188
statyc1188

Good stuff

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2011

I go to Saturn cafe a lot. I'm a vegan who loves the occassional junk food meal. Saturn cafe makes amazing vegan milkshakes (chocolate, pb and banana), great vegan taquitos, breakfast burritos, fries etc. The atmosphere is fun and they serve alcohol. It's also open late night. Perfect.

Pros: cheap, fun, vegan goodness
Cons: fattening
vegan_geek
vegan_geek

Good burgers. Nice interior

3 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

I had the jalapeno burger and it was very good. That being said, there is basically only burgers and salads and about half are vegan or can be made vegan. The restaurant has a real diner feel and clean. Parking is an issue on weekends and evenings. The burgers are not inexpensive.

Pros: good burgers, nice place
Cons: prices, parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Saturn Cafe - Berkeley: