Saturday's Vegan Fine Food ...

On the second Saturday of the month only, a vegan 3-course menu prepared by a vegan chef is offered at Cafe Kult. Cost is 20 euros or just the main course 12,50. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, European
Steentilstraat 36-1 (Cafe Kult)
Groningen, Netherlands 9711 GN
  • Reservations required

First Review by Innochi
seymourW
seymourW

Interesting place

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2014

When we got there, a vegan menu had specially been concocted for us. The place is cosy, but the music, albeit good, was too loud (and the only other diners were very loud), so it was hard to have a conversation without leaning over the table to hear each other. The wait time was a bit long, but I guess it did leave us time to make space for the next courses since the portions were sizeable.

We were served a thick turnip-shiitake soup, then a japanese-style main course consisting of a pizza bread bun stuffed with seaweed, a sort of "lucky bag" dumpling with vegan cheddar in it and a hot cardamom mustard, and finally a lemon and mango/tropical sorbet dessert with fresh fruit mixed in. The soup was delicious, but there was a bit too much of it (we got full almost halfway through). The main course was like nothing I'd tasted before, which was interesting, but in a way it also tasted a bit weird (and I didn't like the vegan cheddar, but I can see other people liking it). The sorbet was sooo sour, my boyfriend loved it but I couldn't eat more than a bit of it. I loved the fruit though, it was refreshing.

All in all, this was a great experience, if not only to try new foods and have a nice time. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the vegan menu to new vegans or vegan-curious people because the flavour profiles might scare them, but I would definitely recommend it to vegans who want to try something new. It's a bit pricier than what I like, but it's a nice treat once in a while. As a side note, let's just say the... digestion process after eating there was surprisingly superior to usual, so I suspect the food is very balanced and nutritional.

Pros: Different from usual, Cosy, Nice vibe
Cons: Tastes a bit weird, Long waiting time, Loud music
Innochi
Innochi

Best Vegan food I ever tasted

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

First time I tried vegan dinner in a restaurant and this was amazing! You really have to try this out when you live in Groningen or are here for a holiday! Also the people who work here are very friendly and there's a nice atmosphere!
I would definitely come here again. And its not expensive € 20,- for 2 drinks and the meal + one starter.

Pros: Excellent food, Cheap / Not expensive, Nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Saturday's Vegan Fine Food - Pop-up: