Sattgruen serves all vegan food and no longer offers dairy milk as of Jul 2013; now provides soy milk, almond milk, and hazelnut milk for coffee. Soups, hot and cold sandwiches, pasta, salads, vegan cakes, and pastries. Many organic & fair traded coffees and teas. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, German, Western, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by hack_man
Fevermarilyn
Fevermarilyn

Fresh and tasty

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

Buffet style. I love their food because they include lots of seasonal vegetables and their fake meat is good and not too meaty. Before choosing a soup, the customers may taste them. How cool is that?!? Their chocolate cake and crumble (fruit changes according to season) are a must.

REMF
REMF

Sattgrun Dusseldorf

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

This is an vegetarian oasis in a meat eating city. Well perhaps that's a bit unfair, but it was lovely not to have to worry about whether I could eat something or not (as always.) It's very meat substitute orientated, which hit the spot on the occasion I visited. Very reasonably priced. Will definitely be going back next time I am in Dusseldorf.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 28, 2014

Pros: Delicious, Filling but healthy seeming, V reasonably priced
Cons: Communal tables, n.b. lots of meat substiutes
NIlsI
NIlsI

Sattgrün

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

I would like to have a Sattgrün here in Hamburg. Because of the wide range of different options, it won´t get boring. One plate is enough to satisfy.

The staff is also delightful as much as the atmosphare. I can recommend this place.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, nice vibe
StephenEamonn
StephenEamonn

Perfect Surprise!

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

I went to Dusseldorf with my Mam and flatmate to spend the day seeing the city for the first time. The weather was terrible and we were very disappointed (partly due to our bad planning). Our attempts to find somewhere to eat were proving futile, and we had spent over an hour of wandering aimlessly. Out of desperation I gave into their pleas and we were headed to McDonalds (I know...) when we stumbled across this place.

At first glance it looked clean and friendly, and that enticed us. We saw the prices and food on offer and were hooked! There was too much to choose from, and it all looked delicious! I got a large plate for about €8 if memory serves and filled it up as much as I could.

The music was another wonderful part that I noticed. It was mellow, cool and set a wonderful atmosphere. Even my 2 travel buddies, who are not veggie, loved the place! The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.

Over the door were the words "until every cage is free", or something along those lines, which is a little example of the many wonderful little things that made this place great.

Will definitely be back when I'm in the city and would recommend it to absolutely anyone!

Pros: Great music, Wonderful staff, Delicious food
Cons: Too much choice
sXe_22
sXe_22

amazing

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

this place offers a huge variery of food. you choose the plate size, then you fill it with everything you want. maybe we looked very weird and starving to all the german people there with our "little pyramid" of food. anyway we ate a lot and we went back to the street rolling. quantity and quality were the top. excellent value for money. one of the best places ever.

Pros: food quality, low prices

jssmith
jssmith

My go-to vegan place in Ddorf

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

Excellent food, right at Graf Adolf Platz, great value! Can walk there easily from the Altstadt. Highly recommended!

Pros: Excellent food
tofumond
tofumond

Pleasantly surprised.

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

At first I was sceptical, because I usually don't like buffet-like restaurants and because from my point of view the prices were very high (5.9€ for a small bowl/plate of hot dishes and 7.9€ for a large bowl/plate), but one day, as I was really hungry, I just tried it and I must say: wow, Sattgruen is awesome!

Even a small plate full of hot dishes makes you really full, as you can put as much as you want on it AND you can try everything, so you're not obligated to choose just one dish.

The buffet is completely vegan. And I love the drinks they offer, as well. They're all either organic or fair-trade or both! Try the lemonades!

I really recommend this place and I'm looking forward to my next visit!

Pros: delicious, organic
Cons: pricey
IngridV
IngridV

great and inexpensive

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

I went there on museum night w a friend.
We had the buffet which was 9 euros for the little plate (not that little ) and 12 for the big one.
So we just took one of each and tried every food on the buffet that we did shared.
It was nice and the waitress ( I think it was the owner) was really nice and friendly and did speak perfect English.
It is really well located.
The food was really good but not amazing either .
However it is great to have such a nice and vegan place in dusseldorf.
long life!

Pros: lotss of option, cheap buffet, nice service
adc1984
adc1984

Healthy and reasonably priced

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

Arriving in Düsseldorf on a business trip I didn't expect to find much vegan friendly food that wasn't heavy on the fake meats until I discovered Sattgruena. The swlf serve buffet provides a large variety of healthy mains, but of course there are some cakes available too which are quite hard to resist. I will return on all future trips to Düsseldorf.

Pros: Large variety, Healthy options, Reasonably priced
Fanny
Fanny

Yummie

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2009

This place was easy to find in the center of Düsseldorf. Nice clean interior and a lot to chose from. We were there during lunch and you could chose a small or big plate of warm buffet, salad buffet or soup or a combination. We chose a big plate from the warm buffet and oh my it was tasty. The hot dishes were roasted potatoes, rice, Hungarian bell pepper goulash, tofu and vegetables in peanut sauce, pasta with almond pesto and more. Everything tasted great and even though it wasn't an "eat-all-you-can" buffet you got really full. We also had a dessert, the chocolate-nut-banana brownie which was amazing. I can highly recommend this place!

Pros: tasty, cakes, location
Cons: a bit pricy
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

100% Vegan now except for milk for coffee

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

This is a really popular place for business people during lunch. I heard from other people that they don't even know its vegan! Nothing says vegan anywhere you have to ask :) That's the way to do it these days since vegan has such negative connotations amongst the main stream. Its a buffet which I usually don't approve of for sanitary and the amount of oil most buffets use to keep the food moist, but luckily Sattgruen doesn't murder the Rice or Cous Cous so you can get a nice (small bowl, large bowl, or plate are the options and you can fill them with as much as you want no weighing) bowl with a base of those and add fresh veggies from the cold section for a healthy meal. There are cakes and soups, too. All vegan now, they just don't advertise it.

Pros: all vegan*, rice and cous cous are oil free
Cons: *milk available for coffee
Michelle Stoddart
Michelle Stoddart

Brilliant, loved it!

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

I am in Germany on business fairly often and am very happy to find tasty vegan options. I visited Sattgruen for lunch and was pleased to see it was busy, it's in a great location and I expect a lot of office workers visit it on their lunch hour. It's a nice, clean, modern decor and I was greeted by very friendly staff. They have a small buffet with a lovely selection of salads, soups and hot dishes. The price is very good and you get a lot of food. I had a mix of hot dishes and loved the mix of flavours, spice etc.. Very tasty and even better that it's all vegan so I could help myself to anything. To finish I had a tasty espresso and slice of vegan chocolate cake, delicious. I look forward to my next Dusseldorf trip and will ensure I make it back to Sattgruen.

Pros: Tasty Food, Generous Portions, Friendly Service
hack_man
hack_man

Smart Dining

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2008

Great place, well run and organised. Essentially, you choose what you want from a good range of hot main courses and cold salads. You can fill up either a small or a large bowl at very reasonable prices. Hot drinks are served by staff. Lots of space, high and low seating. Very fresh and pleasant. I loved it. Excellent vegan choice also.

Pros: layout, location
Cons: closes early at 8pm

Dear Owner and Manager of Sattgruen - Mitte: