Serves meat, veg options available. April 2014 reported added meat to its menu and is not longer vegetarian. Cafe serving organic food and fair trade organic coffee. Small and busy, go early for a table. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Australian, Non-veg

ShelA
ShelA

not sure

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

It has so much potential and we've had some great food. For a vegie cafe i find it amazing they charge extra for soy and serves are a little on the nouvelle cuisine side and the servers couldn't be any less attentive if they tried. Space is set up for 'get in and out' not really conducive to hanging out for a coffee or three with friends.

Pros: tasty food
Cons: service, atmosphere
thelink
thelink

Great atmosphere, great coffee

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2011

We tried Satis for breakfast on a recent trip to Canberra and liked this cafe.

Like other reviewers said,the breakfast menu IS very small and at a first glance we weren't sure if any of the food was vegan. The staff was helpful though and said that the big breakfast can be made vegan with scrambled tofu instead of eggs so we gave it a try.

Our first visit was on a Friday and the cafe was not very busy. We had read a review of Satis that stated that it takes a long time for the meals to be served and that was definitely true that Friday.

The coffee tasted great though and the atmosphere in the cafe was very cosy so we didn't mind waiting around a bit longer while having our coffees. And we watched the chef cook our breakfast completely from scratch, which takes time.

We thought the service would be even slower on the weekend when the cafe is busier so we decided to go to My Rainbow Dreams instead. When we found this cafe closed on Sunday we went back to Satis and to our big surprise the meals were prepared MUCH quicker than on Friday although the cafe was busier.

I guess there was more staff on and the chef had pre prepared things liked grilled tomatoes and zucchinis which made things faster.

The food was a bit expensive and the portion sizes a lot smaller than at My Rainbow Dreams but it was real gourmet fare.

I didn't see the weekday menu / lunch menu but I'd like to try Satis for lunch when I'm Canberra the next time.

veg_lisa
veg_lisa

An overall disaster...

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2011

So my partner and I were in Canberra for a day from Sydney, and had a limited amount time to try the various Vegan places to eat.

We woke up and used our motel's 20-minute-internet-for-$2.. and quickly jotted down some places for breakfast. We wrote down Satis Cafe, and My Rainbow Dream; both vegetarian cafes. We firstly went to Satis Cafe, as the reviews seemed ok.
It is a cramped little space, much like something you would see in Rozelle, or Surry Hills (Sydney) with limited seating inside and some out front and back.
We waited in line just to check they had Vegan brekkie options before we made ourselves comfy, and this is how it went:

Me: Hey, do you guys do vegan breakfasts?

Woman: "Uh - I dunno, here's the menu, [she flung it at us] you can work it out for yourself." And then she turned her back to us and started doing something else.

So in shock at her rudeness, we read the tiny brekkie menu which had about 4 options, including a wild rice porridge with coconut milk (vegan), and 3 other very egg/dairy based options, which clearly could not be made vegan.

We then took the menu to the seats outside and feeling quite uncomforable, read through it once more.

After about a minute, we decided to go find My Rainbow Dreams instead, and although they open around 8.30am every morning, they only provide a breakfast menu on Saturdays, so I ordered an Indian Spiced Lentil Burger ($8.90), and my boyfriend ordered a large Dhal and Rice ($8.90). Not really what we had in mind at 10am first thing in the morning, however we are picky, and of course we are Vegan in a new State afterall..

Cons: Rude staff, Few vegan options, Tiny menu/limited seating

Fission-Chips
Fission-Chips

Satis-factory!

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

Satis has a tasty range of organic, free range, fair trade, vegetarian food - a place where you can eat without any qualms from your conscience!
The breakfast menu has some simple and some deluxe varieties.
The drinks menu is nicely varied. There are some lovely coffees, prepared in the usual cafe ranges, and some fresh juices etc.
Be warned - when ordering a juice/smoothie or similar, it might contain herbs or flavours (e.g: mint, cardamon) that were not mentioned in the menu. Some are pleasant surprises, but some have come as quite a shock.
The cakes, muffins and some of the drinks change regularly. If you enjoy a muffin on one visit, it might be entirely different (though still tasty) the next.
Some people enjoy having a variable menu available, others find it frustrating that they cannot always order the same thing - I'll leave that for you to judge.

I highly recommend the bran muffins and the hash brown - it's like no hash brown you've ever tasted. Rather than a simple deep-friend potato, it's a mash of potato with basil and delicious seasonings. It comes with a few of the breakfast dishes. Extremely tasty!

Pros: Reasonable pricing, Ethically exceptional, Tasty
Cons: Limited range, Limited space
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Ditto

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2010

I agree with the previous review - delicious coffee and foods. They have light fare (nibbles and snacks) as well as delicious breakfast and lunch choices. I especially appreciate the real cafe feel. Most cafes in Canberra are for drinking and eating only - you get your drink/food, and stay only long enough to eat/drink and leave - no long hours on your laptop or reading a book over multiple cups of coffee...not without garnering a bit of skeptical looks at least. Satis is one of a couple of exceptions. Very comfortable atmosphere (reminiscent of Tilley's but more light and airy), and all the staff are kind and attentive.

Pros: delicious food, lovely coffee, outdoor seating (front and back)
Cons: no internet (but I don't really care!), their greeen tea is actually jasmine tea
xvx
xvx

SO good

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2008

I spent a month in Australia. I traveled all around the southeast of the country, hitting Melbourne, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and many places in between. Without a doubt, this was the best food I had in the country. And I ate vegan food at a LOT of places, pretty much every day.
Satis is so good. So, so good. The staff (I assume it to be a woman and her two daughters?) are incredibly friendly and accommodating. The location is lovely, with some tables out front, some inside and a dining area in a courtyard out back. The service was quick and the food was remarkable. The black rice porridge, oh my god. Served with fresh, warm berry compote, toasted coconut and plenty of hot soy milk. My traveling companion informed me that it was literally the best coffee she had ever had, topping her previous number one, a cup she had in Austria. She raved equally about her meal as I am mine. I would go here every day if I had the chance.
They have no phone, no email address and no website. They are doing this the old-fashioned way. It is here - Windeyer Street, Watson Shops, Canberra. Go. GO.

Pros: SO, so good, SUPER friendly, not expensive
Cons: twelve thousand miles away, not in my house, you can't email food

Dear Owner and Manager of Satis: