Satdha Kitchen

A plant-based Thai food restaurant in a spacious setting with large windows, opened Nov 2013. Owner studied cooking and has experience in running vegetarian restaurants. The menu is designed to offers a unique selection of Thai vegan dishes that are not available at other Thai vegan places in LA. Sample items include beet dyed rice noodle, "catfish" eggplant, faux egg, Thai "quiche" (tofu), and watercress jicama salad. Try the tapicoa dessert. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Thai, Take-out

First Review by eric
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

innovative Thai dishes

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Since we were in the neighborhood, we stopped in for an early dinner. The interior is clean and modern with a few decorative touches. The service is efficient and friendly with kale chips brought to the table as well. We ordered the mung bean croquettes, shallot tempeh, eggplant catfish and taro tapioca pudding. The presentation was very beautiful and definitely deserves 5 cows. While we thought the food was good, the presentation itself was better. The catfish was unique and the tempeh dish was decent. The tapioca by itself was excellent, but Dirk didn't care for the taro although that's just his personal preference. Overall, we would return if in the neighborhood again to try some different dishes and I wish I could give half ratings like 4.5.

Pros: innovative Thai dishes, beautiful presentation, easy parking
tina x
tina x

Amazing Thai Food at Satdha Kitchen

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

One of our favorite new restaurants. Really lovely staff. Nice food textures, and variety. Prices are moderate.

NomadShane
NomadShane

Lovely Little Veggie Spot

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

A decent night out and quite inexpensive too. Food is good, not great, but decent portions. Friendly service. Negative is use of veggies is limited. I ordered green curry rice and it was mostly rice with just a small amount of veggies. For a veggie I want lots of veggies and less rice.

Pros: Price
Cons: Small Veggie Portions.
earthville
earthville

One of LA's best Thai restaurants

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

Satdha rises above the hordes of Thai restaurants in the greater LA area with exceptionally well prepared, creative, salubrious Thai food and great service.

The menu is diverse and includes a number of items that one rarely sees in Thai restaurants in the US. Our group of diners with differing diets and preferences ordered five items from the menu, spanning appetizers, curries, noodles, and veggies. We enjoyed everything, particularly some of the inventive sauces.

If you have an adventurous tongue, do yourself a favor and order something you've never tried before. There are tasty discoveries awaiting you at Satdha.

Highly recommended. Enjoy!

Pros: Delicious, inventive, vegan Thai, i

The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Interesting Food

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

I echo pretty much what the previous reviewers say. The food is more interesting and special than the usual thai veggie food places we get in L.A. Here you can expect lots of fresh ingredients rather than faux meats. Really like the rice noodle rolls appetizer. The sticky rice pudding is good, too. Will return for more.

kenvegan
kenvegan

Good food, but on the salty side

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

I have eaten at Satdha twice. The first time, I really enjoyed my meal. I ordered the pad thai, the beet colored noodles, and an eggplant dish that is cooked like "fried catfish".

What I enjoyed most about this casual, moderately priced restaurant was the fact that they stay away from processed vegan meat alternatives, yet the food is very flavorful. All of their dishes are also very elegantly presented.

When I went to the restaurant last week, I noticed that the food was quite salty. I am not one to normally notice that food at restaurants is salty, but all of the dishes I ordered were far too salty for my taste. I told the owner about how salty I felt the food was. I was still hungry, and decided to put in an order for the pad thai again. I heard the owner tell the cooks that the food was too salty for my taste. The food came out salty once again.

During my initial visit, I would have given this restaurant a 5 star rating, but due to this experience, I am going to have to move my rating down to a 4 star. I'll try this restaurant again in the future, but I am in no rush after my last experience.

Pros: Tasty food, Calm atmosphere
Cons: Salty food
Chia
Chia

Yummy food - highly recommend it

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

Saw this place featured on happycow and was curious to give it a try. Here's my Satdha Kitchen reviews.

Met here with my friend a couple days ago, and we ordered a few dishes to try. The food was really yummy and unlike the typical Thai veg restaurants that have sprouted up throughout Southern California over the years. I especially like the eggplant catfish dish (battered fried eggplant round chunks covered in a sweet & tangy red sauce) and the tapioca dessert which was served warm. Yum.

Can't wait to go back and try the other menu items. Very creative dishes. Nice presention, too. Simple, pleasant space with lots of natural sunlight.

The only complaint I have is that service was slow. However, this is a brand new restaurants, so the staff is probably still working on their rhythm. Anyhow, once the food arrived our table we were as pleased as could be cuz the food was great.

Pros: delicious food, atypical menu, friendly people
eric
eric

Innovative Vegan Thai

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

Made it over here yesterday and was really impressed. We have a ton of vegan Thai places in LA (25+ last time I counted), but this place is different. While they only offer Thai food, and not Western, like some of the places, Satdha offers a more gourmet vegan take on traditional Thai dishes which are normally offered in meat versions only.
I came with HappyCow friends and we shared: Beet Dyed Noodles, Catfish Eggplant, Kow Yum (a salad with brown rice, pomelo, coconut, green mango, more), Pad Thai, Tom Kha soup, and Taro tapioca pudding for dessert.
Every dish was unique, and very different from other places I've had these. All were excellent.
The eggplant was very similar in texture to fish, and worth trying, although it's deep fried and a bit oily- very delicious though.
They don't use MSG here, and all their sauces are made fresh. They also seem to use non-gmo and organic when possible.
This is a great addition to our neighborhood, and I'll definitely be back.

Pros: Interesting dishes, Great flavors, Healthy Thai
Cons: Charge for rice

Dear Owner and Manager of Satdha Kitchen: