Sargam House

Converted to Sargam House in early 2013; previously operated as Saravanaa Bhavan. Indian restaurant serving vegetarian South Indian cuisine. Offers a lunch buffet. Serves a wide variety of food, more vegan options and different decor. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by gaffer
scocasso
scocasso

Music To My Tastebuds

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

We've been twice for the buffet and it was great. We'll be going again many more times.

I recommend the buffet if you are taking your kids, as there is pretty much something for everyone and lots of interesting and possibly, depending on your experiences with food, new things to try.

The foods are labelled whether or not they are vegan or vegetarian so it's very easy to navigate (there were only two things that contained non-vegan ingredients when we were there - one dish and one dressing).

It's a family owned restaurant and you can really feel that in how personable and friendly they are with their customers - they appreciate each customer.

Some of the items may look very usual, but we found that they most plain looking buffet item, the lentils, were actually the most flavourful and yummy of all the items (very interesting combination of herbs and spices).

I haven't yet been for dinner, but I'm sure it's just as good or better.

We also had dosas which were very good. There was a special menu item we tried, deep fried sweet and sour cauliflower -- wow, so good! (I don't see it on their regular menu although there is a cauliflower fritter, but that's not it).

Pros: Flavourful food, Pleasant Staff, Very reasonable prices
Cons: Far from where I live, Finding parking in Vancouver sucks
vegan frog
vegan frog

Much better than the previous restaurant!

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

Sargam House opened in April 2013 in the location of Saravana Bhavan which had closed down. The restaurant was refurbished and looks much cleaner.
The food is much better, spiced right and very importantly, there is finally vegan knowledge about the menu.
The buffet items that are vegan are clearly marked and the owners are super helpful.
The menu is not yet clear but the owner told me that they will be improving this shortly and will be more geared towards vegans.
As much as Indian food is not my favourite in the world, the curries we had were very good.
Just ask your server what is vegan or can be made vegan.

Pros: Many vegan options, Vegan knowledge from servers and owners, Free parking at back
Cons: I wish vegan items were clearly marked
shirley1
shirley1

Great dosa

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

I recently visited this restaurant . You have a choice of North Indian or South Indian , the menu is very clear. At lunch they have a buffet but we went for dinner.
I wasn't a fan of the rasam soup but I had a masala chick pea dosa which was very good and tasty .
The service was quick and the waiter very pleasant.
I will be back to this restaurant

Pros: Good food, Tasty food, Yummy
misstracee
misstracee

sargam house.

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

excellent! the service was great. the food was fantastic. they didn't seem to have any troubles with asking to make sure things were vegan. plus free wi-fi. would recommend.

Pros: friendly, excellent food, free wi-fi
axelboot
axelboot

YEAH!! Much improved by new owners- GO!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

We used to eat here almost twice every month when they first opened.
BUT, since about Sept 2009, we have noticed that the lunch buffet, except for special holiday weekends, is rather dull with many repetitive rice dishes.

HOWEVER, this has all changed with the new owners since April 2013.

Ate here on Mothers' Day, and again today (Sunday, July 14th). Such excellent tasty items at the lunch buffet.
We had an amazing meal, with items such as veggie meat balls with onions and peppers ( I don't know the Indian name), a cabbage dish, great spicy potatoes, a tomato paneer, dosa, chana masala and many others.
Also, there is a real salad provided too!
Finally, for desert today there were FOUR options!! Yummy! As a big fan of
rasmali (the cheese balls in milk cardamon sauce), I was SO happy they were available. Also, a very nice liquid custard with fruit, and a vermicilli noodle dessert too, and semolina wheat.

Terrific experience- I would encourage you to come here again, if the old Saravana Bhavan disappointed you in its final months (as it certainly did for us).

Updated from previous review on Sunday July 14, 2013

Pros: Lunch buffet is great value on weekends, All you can eat, Attentive friendly service
Cons: NONE

Kat F
Kat F

Great food, good price

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

Disappointed to read any negative reviews on this place because as I see it this place is dynamite value with great quality food. Friendly and lovely staff. Mixed Veg Parotta is my favourite dish. No gimmicks, simple and clean interior, it's not about the atmosphere it's about the food. Perfect for vegetarians.

Pros: inexpensive, options, abundance
Cons: location
gaffer
gaffer

my favorite Indian restaurant

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

The buffet is rich and most of it is excellent. The staff seems knowledgeable about which of the items are vegan. Some of the menu items were brilliant.

Pros: great food, inexpensive
Cons: can get crowded and noisy, not all-vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Sargam House: