Part of Vegetarian Indian restaurant group. This one established in 2011. Seats 120. Extensive menu. Dairy is used, so vegans to inquire. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Indian

Jayneisastarr
Jayneisastarr

Nothing standout

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2015

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the place, after hearing really good things about the food. It definitely wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. There were a lot of dosas to choose from (all vegan) which were more pancake than filling, making them a bit dry. There is ample to choose from on the menu for whatever taste, but vegan options are not marked and you do need to talk to your server about which contain dairy. There are a lot of cheese and paneer based dishes.

The decor is extremely simplistic so don't expect anything fancy in this regard. I will try this place again at some point, and put down this experience to perhaps just making the wrong choice of dishes!

Pros: All vegetarian Indian food, Large dosa selection, Easy transport links
Cons: Vegan items not labelled, Not the best curries around, Basic canteen style setting
jollypig
jollypig

Fantastic - bit spicy though!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

Wow, great restaurant very close to Tooting Broadway station. Inside it's brightly lit and has an open kitchen so you can seen the guys preparing the food. Service was friendly and efficient. We went on a Friday evening and it was pretty busy, but people tend to come and go as food is served quickly. The menu covers both north and south Indian dishes, along with a small selection of Chinese.

We went for north Indian and I loved the 'Devil Potato' and the kadai paneer. Both were very richly flavoured and spicy. I expected it of the former dish (the clue is in the name), but not necessarily of the latter. I lived in India for three years so I'm no wimp when it comes to spicy food... My dining associate had the north Indian thali. It was all excellent.

The bill came to about £24 for both of us.

Highly recommended, though you might want to check with the waiter how hot the sauces are in dishes you're ordering, or ask for them to make them to your preference.

Pros: Very richly flavoured, tasty food, Great value, nice staff, kitchen view, Easy to get to
Cons: Would be good if menu noted hot items, Lights could be dimmed a little

Dear Owner and Manager of Saravanaa Bhavan: