Part of an international chain of Indian vegetarian restaurants serving South Indian cuisine. Large variety of dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Indo-Chinese, Beer/Wine

Jumaroko
Jumaroko

disappointed

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2014

The restaurant is very big and not cozy at all. You can see that it belongs to a chain. The waiter was not very friendly and did not know which dishes were vegan. I also asked for a chai tea without milk - which was not possible. Very disappointing, as on the internet page of the restaurant it was highlighted that they offer vegan options.
Moreover, the food was good (too oily for me) but not made freshly and with love. For this, we definitely paid too much.

Pros: real indian cuisine
Cons: not vegan friendly, atmosphere
s_k_
s_k_

you get exactly what you expect

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2014

The Saravanaa Bhavan brand is famous in South India, and they've tried to export that experience as authentically as possible. If you know your way around a mid-scale South Indian restaurant—the same as you'd find in many Indian cities or the Bay Area or Houston or various other cities in the world—then you know what to expect, and that's exactly what you'll get here. Everything from the menu to the decor to the demeanor of the waitstaff to the cleanliness of the table and menu to...it's all exactly the same. Which, especially in terms of food, if that's what you're looking for (as I was, on this instance), is perfect. The location (just about three blocks from the Hbf) is also a plus for tourists.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices, central location
Cons: indifferent staff, uninspiring ambiance
Tank242
Tank242

Great and tasty food, lack of atmosphere

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2014

During my visits to SB I had several dishes, including the north and south indian tali, dosas etc.

If you are vegan you have to rely on the information provided by the staff, but they seemed to be accustomed to vegan eating habits.

The restaurant itself is a five minute-walk away from the main train station.
The guest room is rather dark and uninviting with unpleasant lighting, but clean
The staff seems a little bit overworked but is very friendly, and so (friendly) appear the other customers, mainly indians.

I felt welcome when I was dining with colleagues as well when we had a noisier family meal with 3 children.

During lunch time they offer a 10% discount on the meals.

Pros: centrally located, good food, inexpensive
Cons: guest room, not organic, vegans, watch out for dairy products

namdhyan
namdhyan

Wide variety of Indian dishes

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2014

Had Dingri Mutter (mushrooms and peas in sauce with rice) for lunch after a rather exhausting morning of travelling. The food was good and there was plenty of it. The menu has quite a variety of dishes - almost up to the point where it's difficult to decide what to have, being used to one or two vegan options.

We were guided to a table in the side room, which made it a bit difficult to get the check since we couldn't really see the staff a lot of the time. It's certainly taken longer elsewhere some times, but still was a minor nuisance.

Pros: Good food, Wide selection, Reasonable price
Cons: Service a bit on the slow side
MitziTant
MitziTant

we couldn't even eat there.

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

I am a very special case. A vegan with a rice allergy. But I love Indian food with all my heart, so I usually go for their bread options, but the (very friendly) waitress told me, that apparently all I their breads are made with milk or dairy.
pretty weak for a "vegan friendly" restaurant. I was disappointed.

Pros: Nice staff
Cons: No vegan bread options, Staff didn't know which dishes were vegan
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Tasty food, consistent with other beaches

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

I went here twice whilst in Frankfurt having been to their chains in India and France. I took a South Indian thali and I took a masala dosa the next meal. Both were tasty and filling and spicy which was great. The service was a bit slower at lunch (although we did get a lunch discount), but was fine at dinner. It looks quite posh inside compared with the other SB chains I've been to, but is reasonably priced.

Pros: tasty, nice decor

Dear Owner and Manager of Saravanaa Bhavan: