Saramago Cafe Bar

This vegan food cafe is within the Centre for Contemporary Arts. There is a tapas style menu for sharing, daily specials, as well as a large menu of varied options. Pre-theatre options available. Kitchen closes 10pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Scottish, Western, International
350 Sauchiehall Street (Centre for Contemporary Arts)
Glasgow, Scotland G2 3JD
+44-01413524900

Open Mon-Sat 10am-12am.

First Review by alimac
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Nice tapas and venue

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

It's always a nice experience going to an all-vegan venue, and Saramago was no exception. I shared some very tasty tapas dishes with a friend and enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere of the cafe/bar. It was pretty busy though, even on a Monday evening when we were there, and it took a long time to get served.

Pros: Nice food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly, helpful staff
Cons: Busy, Slow service
DIN8
DIN8

Awesome

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2014

Probably the best vegan place in Glasgow (and all of them are great). I have always liked the CCA but now I really love this place. The variety of fresh, tasty food is amazing. I especially like the tapas like small plates. The service is friendly and the prices are reasonable.

Pros: excellent food, nice atmosphere
craigmc
craigmc

big selection

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2014

It seems ever since I moved to Edinburgh, Glasgow keeps getting better and better. Grrrrr.
Had a great evening meal here, the biggest issue is there is so much choice, it's hard not to go over the top and stuff yourself. It has plenty of lunch choices as well, from soups to salads and sandwiches.
I had a mezze which was really good and plentiful, you probably wouldn't need a starter, while my friend had the arrabiata, which packed a chilli punch and was really tasty.
A large selection of drinks, and plenty of space.

I just wanted to update again after a recent visit to the bar for a meal. Still an extensive menu with a tapas style menu, a salad menu, a sandwich menu and about half a dozen mains.
Between us we had some veg tempura, sweet pepper houmous and veg haggis balls in batter with chips. all fantastic and the bar itself was good.

Updated from previous review on Monday October 21, 2013

Pros: big selection, tasty
Kirsh
Kirsh

Saramago Cafe

4 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

The restaurant is set in the covered courtyard of the arts centre. It is a large area, but was full when we arrived. The food was good and the service quite good in view of the number of customers. At first we thought that it was only a bar, as the counter was full of the drinks you would find, but we asked and they promptly gave us the menu - we then notices that everyone was eating a meal. If we are in Glasgow again, we will certainly go back, although we understand that it can be cold in winter as it is too big to heat.

Pros: Good food, Good service & nice atmosphere, In a central position
Cons: Looked to much like a bar
janetp
janetp

Amazing all vegan menu

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

Who knew Glasgow was such a vegan paradise? The menu at this restaurant in the back of the Contemporary Art Center was incredible. I've never had so many wonderful choices. I decided to be healthy by starting with kale chips and then ordering a huge salad, but I washed it all down with a beer. The food was delicious and I just wish I lived in Scotland so I could try all the other dishes on the menu!

Pros: Fantastic menu, Great space, Relaxed atmosphere
saneas
saneas

YUM DELICIOUS!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

The first and the best by far of the Vegan only restaurants I went to during a recent visit to Glasgow.

Fairly inspired menu, fresh ingredients and well cooked. Heaps of choice.

Even got a reasonably good coffee, something hard to find from us spoiled kiwis!

Really great service is another hard to find in this part of the world but they did no bad! The waitress could have smiled tho, it really does make a difference and would have made the visit a total winner.

Updated from previous review on Thursday September 05, 2013

Pros: Variety, Fresh, Tasty
Cons: Some aspects of service, Stuffy atmosphere
chorte23
chorte23

Would recommend

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

"If all vegan meals were like this, I'd eat vegan everyday!"--my non-vegan dad after finishing his meal at Saramago

The food here was very fresh and good. There were plenty of options to chose from. I particularly enjoyed the soup with homemade bread. Nothing on the menu was extraordinary, but there was nothing we ordered that we didn't like.

Pros: good food, variety of menu options , interesting building
Cons: slow service, difficult to find (cafe downstairs)
Dear Uncle
Dear Uncle

• non-vegetarian

Fantastic Experience - good food, hospitable staff

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

I visited on my second night n Glasgow, and went back three times because the experience is so good. The staff knew their food and their beer and made excellent recommendations; they even put up with the "humour" of a fat old tourist and gave as good as they received. The food was the best vegetarian food I have tasted, with imaginative preparations and new ingredients beyond the usual casseroles and roast red pepper sauces. The place is hard to find but very worth while searching out and, although it is not obvious, they have an in-door space and a small patio where I spent several hours in the evening sun.

Pros: Very good food, Rapid, friendly service
Cons: popular, so go early if you rushed, Split in two, hard to find - no exterior sign
Heather1945
Heather1945

First visit

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

Our first visit to this great vegan café/bar; lovely food and friendly service in an interesting venue . We will be back for a return visit soon.

Pros: Good food, Nice atmosphere with friendly staff, Music not intrusively overloud, just rig
Slinki_Malinki
Slinki_Malinki

:D

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

Went there with an omni friend and had a brilliant meal :), he didn't even comment on the lack of anything! Food was great, was sat in the upstairs bar area which has a nice intimate atmosphere, would definitely go back :). P.S. the haggis fritters are brilliant

Pros: Great food, Varied menu, lovely atmosphere
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

a favorite in glasgow!

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

i went to saramago the last time i was in glasgow, about a year ago, and it was the best vegan food i had in the city. everyone in the group i was with thoroughly enjoyed their meals as well.

give this place a try.

Pros: food, location, atmosphere
kasia
kasia

Cool, elegant and tasteful

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2012

I managed to try a sun-dried tomatoes pizza and a calzone which were both great and filling, there was no need of cheese at all. Excellent Tempranillo as well. What I found a bit strange is Guiness -a non-vegetarian beer (I heard).The place has a nice arty atmosphere.

Pros: great choice, good value, nice staff
Cons: non-veggie beer
Tara HD
Tara HD

Didn't like chocolate cake

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

I only had coffee and cake there and was delighted that everything on their menu is vegan. The chocolate cake was very spongy though. My partner had another cake (strawberry cheesecake or similar) which I tried too and found much better.

Pros: all vegan
lady_linzi
lady_linzi

Lovely place to visit

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

I went here with an omnivore friend and we both loved it. Gorgeous fresh food, huge portions, friendly service and a bustling atmosphere made for a lovely lunch. What I really liked about this place is that they don't bill themselves as a vegan restaurant, personally I think this is a great thing as people then won't form stereotypes or preconceptions before they visit. The menu is totally vegan however and the prices are very good, really nice wine too. In fact we couldn't finish our food there was so much of it! We had hummus and spring rolls to start and then pizza and gnocchi to follow. The place itself is lovely, tall brick walls, fairy lights and a huge skylight, I bet it's really cosy in the evenings. It's obviously a popular place, there were barely any tables left to sit at when we went. Full marks for Saramago, both of us would definitely go back there for more!

Pros: Great food, Lovely wait staff, Very lively
Cons: I don't live in Glasgow :0(
Sammo84
Sammo84

Amazing

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

We got into Glasgow after a long day travelling and we headed to Saramago for dinner.

I had the gnocchi and my meat eating friend had the Thai noodle salad. The gnocchi was cooked to perfection, and my carnivore friend wanted to tell the staff that it was possibly the best Thai noodle salad he'd ever had but he didn't dare.

Lovely open space, great music, super friendly staff, and they even recommended some other great vegan restaurants for our trip. How's that for service?

The only regret is I didn't go back to try the red pepper and fennel risotto.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Great atmosphere
lucyblack74
lucyblack74

Great vegan place

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2011

Saramago is a great vegan place. It's at the back of the CCA on Sauchiehall Street, and I've only just found out about it! It's a great central location, and the space itself is lovely - very spacious, light and airy, with lots of natural light from a massive skylight - it's almost like being outside.

The employees are really friendly, service is good, and it's child friendly too. It all makes for a really pleasant and relaxed environment.

Regarding the food, it's excellent! It has a large and fairly varied menu - there's a big selection of tapas, soups and lovely deli style sandwiches, and a good selection of mains too. I had a lentil and paprika soup which was lovely, and came with fresh organic bread which was pretty tasty - I don't normally eat much bread but this was so nice I had to have a little bit! I also had artichoke hearts with garlic aoli which were really good too. The boyfy had a pizza which was wonderfully tasty and cooked just right, and our pals had veggie haggis, and a butternut squash salad - both of which were enjoyed. Portion sizes are generous but not massive - just right.

I will definitely become a frequent visitor to Saramago, and would recommend it without hesitation. It's open until 10pm, and there's a bar upstairs too.

Pros: Light and airy, Good variety, Pleasant employees
alimac
alimac

Vegan pizza, wow!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

This is a new cafe which is in CCA, the previous cafe was always nice but now the cafe is open longer hours and also serves vegan meals. It is great venue, equally good for just tea or coffee (decaf and soy available) or a sociable sharing tapas meal with friends, or an indulgent dinner. There is freshly baked organic bread daily, a changing specials menu and a large selection of dishes to choose from.

The vegan pizza is amazing. Chilli, red onion, roast pepper and sun dried tomato (completely mouth watering) also a side salad of balsamic and olive oil dressed rocket. Hand made pizza, none of your pre-prepared bases here!

The haggis is indeed vegetarian, no meat in this establishment. Ideal for the tourist and those who appreciate local produce. The lemon and courgette linguini is very tasty (only criticism would be that it would be nice to have wholemeal pasta as an option, rather than white pasta). Sharing wise, the hand cut chips with coriander mayo are delicious, and the curly kale is yummy.. will be back for more!

Pros: Vegan pizza, friendly staff, cool contemporary atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Saramago Cafe Bar: