CLOSED: Sante La Brea

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers many vegetarian and vegan mains and all vegan desserts. Has tofu, seitan, tempeh, pizza, curry, and more. Everything can be made vegan upon request. Live music some nights. Closed June 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan
Vegyogini
Vegyogini

Sante La Brea

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

With a new chef at its helm and a new semi-secret Thai menu, Sante La Brea is improving upon its already good menu. While not an entirely vegetarian restaurant, there are many vegan options and they are very satisfying. There's a lovely outdoor area for dining if you'd rather enjoy the weather than eat inside and the staff is friendly.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Nice place, friendly staff...

3 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

I can't even articulate how nice everyone who works here is and visiting Sante Cuisine was definitely a nice experience, as we watched the Oscars here (so we were there a few hours).

We started with the chlorophyll drink and I absolutely loved it! I wish we had it out here in Chicago... so definitely try that when you go. I really liked our appetizer, the Vegan nachos, the tofu cheese sauce was so good! However, when it came to my entrée it was a whole different story. First thing I'd like to mention is that the menu is very cumbersome and has far too many items to choose from (they should really concentrate on making the menu smaller and perfecting those items). I saw that they had Vegan alfredo there so I ordered that without mushrooms and had seitan added to it. When I received my meal it was loaded with mushrooms, tofu (no seitan to be found), spinach, and had very little noodles. I found the tofu to be unpleasant as it was "mushy" and didn't seem cooked to me, the spinach was overkill because they put too much in the dish, and the sauce was so-so. I didn't care for my entrée at all, in fact, I barely touched it.

For desert we were given a parfait, I believe it was chocolate-banana (Vegan) which I also found to be good. Overall I'm on the fence with this place entrée-wise; if I lived in the area I would give it a second chance.

Cons: Don't get the vegan alfredo..., Pricey
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Really Hip Place! Vegans and Veg's take notice!

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2008

I found that Santa La Brea (Now Sante Cuisine) has been redone for Kitchen Nightmares and has a Gordon Ramsey Menu! EXCITING. I never went to the place before so I can't compare, but the new interior / patio are really hip and amazing! It really seems like Veggie Elite should be hanging out here mixing and mingling. Organic beer on tap! Live music on the weekends. I had the Spinach Enchiladas and my gf had the curry (both done vegan) pretty much anything on the menu has a vegan option. (Note cheese has casein, but they do a Tofu Sauce that is similar to cheese that is vegan) The staff is very friendly and the kitchen will customize your order. Vegan desserts are outstanding (chocolate peanut butter vegan pie!) This is a great newly redone hip place! Don't miss out! I read it'll be on TV in October.

Pros: vegan dessert, vegan options for everything, organic beer
Cons: needs follow your heart cheese for pizza

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Sante La Brea: