Sanskruti Restaurant

Opened Sept 2013, this Indian vegetarian restaurant offers some vegan menu items in both starter and main courses. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out
95 Mauldeth Rd
Manchester, England M14 6SR

Mon-Thu 5:00pm-11:30pm, Fri-Sun 5:00pm-12:00am

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by HeatherB 1984
RJS
RJS

Great meal with the kids.

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2015

We went early on Saturday evening for a Father's day treat. Really well made tasty food. Possibly the best naan bread I've ever eaten and the kids were impressed when the huge family naan arrived at our table.
The menu is several pages long and I didn't have time to read it all so will definitely be going back to try more dishes.
First time we've had vegan icecream when eatting out somewhere, it was amazing and a hit with the kids.
We just walked in off the street without booking but by the time we left the restaurant was full.
Kids like the special box full of sweets they bring round at the end of the meal too.

Pros: variety of dishes, price, Food
Cons: only one dish listed as very hot.
Shinystar
Shinystar

fantastic

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2015

Never ever ever had bad food from here.

KellyJayneJones
KellyJayneJones

2nd favourite South Indian restaurant after Lily's

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2015

This is by far the best Indian restaurant for vegan food in South Manchester!!!
Excellent ambiance, friendly staff, although more expensive than Lily's.

Pros: Ambiance, DELICIOUS, Very vegan friendly staff

pop345
pop345

Don't order takeaway from here

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2015

Ordered a takeaway from here after getting very excited about the fact that they made vegan naan bread, only for the food to turn up 40 minutes late and freezing cold. Incredibly disappointed, and found their customer service to be terrible when we initially phoned to ask where our food was, and later phoned to inform them that the food was cold. While the food could have been nice if warm, I really wouldn't recommend ever ordering takeaway from here - a cold dosa is never good.

Pros: vegan naan
Cons: late food, cold food, bad customer service
hoz
hoz

Exquisite Indian Food

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2015

Wow. I like to think I know a good curry and this place definitely does that. Actually though that's underselling the quality of the food, it was the best curry I've ever eaten.

Walking into Sanskruti it looks humble and unassuming, quite like many great curry houses. Front-of-house staff were really friendly in conversation and showed us to our table. It's quite a nice space to eat in but who cares about that when the food is so good.

We ordered starters and five curries for main (with three different types of bread). I had sev puri to stat which was very nice but slightly underwhelming when placed in the context of the rest of the meal. I'd still give it a solid 8/10, the papdi were crisp and fresh, nice tamarind chutney and the potato and chick peas made for a tasty filling.

Here's where it gets interesting... the curries. We had two dahls, makhani (veganised, so without butter/cream) and tarka. Both are favourites of mine, although I don't usually get the choice of a vegan makhani, I rarely have a curry without one or the other. Both were the finest dahls I've ever had. The depth of flavour they get into these is extraordinary, particularly as the spicing is subtle.

Ridiculously, those weren't even my highlight of the meal. That award goes to the channa masala. Unctuous tomato flavour, slightly hotter than the dahls with a stronger spice profile. Utterly delicious. It came with three puris, which are like mini fried rotis. When the channa was scooped up with these it was just heavenly. Absolutely faultless.

Along with these puris we had a family naan (which was huge, vegan and great value) and a paratha (again made vegan). You can usually tell a lot about an Indian restaurant by its breads and these were all good.

The other curries were a sev and tomato dish and a char grilled aubergine curry. The sev and tomato dish was very nice and was something I hadn't seen at many other places. It was really good but not as much to my taste as the other curries, having said that I loved the methi in it. The aubergine was great, smoky and intensely flavoursome, it was great with some soft naan.

I didn't intend to write such an extensive review but my experience at Sanskruti was so positive it inspired me to do so. What I haven't mentioned is how good it is for vegans, with over half the menu vegan or with the possibility of being made vegan. Can't recommend this place highly enough.

Pros: Brilliant food, plenty of vegan options, great service, great value.
Cons: Nothing.
RubyFriel
RubyFriel

Warm, friendly and fantastic food

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2014

I can't really rate this place enough.

It's cosy and friendly, down to earth but comfortable, ambient and nicely decorated. It is great value for money. They serve beer. The service is second to non, you are treated like an old friend by the staff.

The food is DIVINE. The thali is £8 per person and can be made vegan on request. There are at least 8 items with a thali, it is very filling but just so delicious you will always want more.

I cant really describe how wonderful this place is, you really need to go for yourselves. If I could give them 10 stars I would.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Ambient
Bhammer
Bhammer

Varied menu

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Really wide choice of tasty meals, many I had not heard of before and plenty of vegan ones apart from the desserts (except for ice cream).Would prefer brown rice but nice white rice + flat bread is an alternative. Good service. Would had liked to have known which dished were spicy hot and whether they were dry or liquid. Could had asked the waiter mind you!

Pros: Variety of tasty dishes, service
Mimi
Mimi

Simply Wonderful

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2014

I was treated to a meal here by some lovely friends. I can honestly say that this restaurant offers the finest Indian food that I have ever eaten, and I have been fortunate to enjoy some great food in other Indian Vegetarian restaurants in the UK.
The food was imaginative, incredibly full of flavour, and different to the 'usual'. Staff were great - attentive and friendly.
I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant - to anyone in the area, and it is also worth travelling for.

Pros: Fantastic Food, Imaginative Menu, Great Staff
J-Veg
J-Veg

Excellent, authentic Indian cuisine

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2014

I'd heard a lot of good things about this place and had high expectations and I'm glad to say it didn't disappoint. I went with two non-veggie friends, who were pleased with the food.

We had the obligatory poppadums to start while we chose our meals and I was impressed with how interesting the menu sounded and with the large number of vegan options (around half of the menu, marked with a 'V').

In the end I went for the Dudhi Dal Nu Shaak, which was really tasty, wholesome and had a depth of taste with just the right amount of spice. My friends had the Vegetable Harabhara (great pick if you like spinach) and the Malai Kofta. The rice and the selection of breads we had were also good.

They have a good selection of vegan ice-cream for dessert and the Gajjar Halwa (with grated carrots) was delicious.

The price was also really reasonable, but my only criticism is the atmosphere/furnishing, which kind of just felt like a standard British-Indian restaurant rather than having an Indian feel.

Pros: Great value, Delicious, authentic food
arherron
arherron

Delicious.

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

We came here for the first time recently for my friends birthday and were delighted with the food, the service and the choice. The menu is very extensive and all the vegan options are listed. There's so much choice for vegans and Pepe the manager knows what's vegan, makes some great recommendations and really looked after our party. The main section of the menu is divided into punjabi and gujarati and included dosa masalas and great chai. Our new favorite indian in Manchester.

Pros: great vegan choice, clearly marked , delicious and unusual dishes, friendly, attentive and informed staff
Ilse1973
Ilse1973

Yes Delicious!

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2013

So glad we have a brand spanking new vegetarian restaurant in Manchester which (very important) has many vegan options and is willing to think outside the box to make just about anything vegan for you.

We had a lovely take out meal (highly recommend the Khichdi, Vada Pav and Ringan Bateta) scrumptious.

Pros: Vegan options, Very friendly, Not too hot spiced
Cons: Smallish portions, Parking around the corner
HeatherB 1984
HeatherB 1984

Lovely atmosphere and great vegan food!

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

Myself and my husband visited here for a meal on Weds 11th Sept. The restaurant was very busy due to a having a party booking of around 30 people in at the time. Even though it was busy, the service was fantastic. I cannot fault them at all! The atmosphere was 'buzzing' all evening.

The food portions were generous and the food was incredibly tasty. As a vegan, it was a refreshing change to have lots of choice on the menu. It actually took a while to decide what options I wanted to try! My husband (who is a meat eater) enjoyed the food too, and commented on how tasty and filling it was.

We will certainly be returning again soon so that I can try some more of the other (many) delicious sounding options on the menu.

Thank you Sanskruti Restaurant for a very enjoyable evening! :-)

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Excellent price, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Parking - nearby side streets only

Dear Owner and Manager of Sanskruti Restaurant: