Sankalp The Taste of India

This South Indian vegetarian restaurant has a large menu with plenty of vegan choices. Idli, vadas, dosas, utthappam, and more. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian
16338 Kensington Dr, Ste 160
Sugar Land, Texas 77479
281-565-0555

Open Mon-Thur 11am-3pm, 5:30-10pm, Fri-Sun 11am-10pm.

First Review by MizzB
MizzB
MizzB

Appetizingly authenti Indian Food, beautiful decor

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2012

Sankalp, the Taste of India, serves the best Indian food I have tasted to date! It is as good as Indian home cooking, just in a lovely restaurant setting with friendly, accomodating service
Specializing in south Indian food, its very extensive menu offers "Idli Stall," Vadas, "Dashing Dosaz," "Ravashing Rava," "Amazing Uthappa," combo meals, all time favorites, beverages, sweets, various rice dishes, and ice creams and other desserts.
Sankalp's menu is 100% vegetarian, with about 90% of it being vegan. They will gladly veganize the non-vegan menu options, and Jain options are available upon request.
My dinner began with appetizers: Rasam, a spicy lentil soup, followed by Masala Boondi, a crunchy lentil dish flavored with onions and tomatoes, and Masala vegetable rice cakes. A combo of 3 delicious dips was served along side: garlic, coconut and cilantro. The coconut was simply divine, so much so that I asked for more to have along with the Special Indian Bhaji Dosa that I had for my main course.
I sampled Sumac, a lovely spiced soup; I thought it was perfect, yet my dinner companions found the spices a bit hot for their tastes.
Our hosts had us sample the Vegetable Upma. This cooling, comforting dish had a very familiar taste and feel to it, like the cream of wheat I loved as a child. Cream of wheat was the main ingredient; very pleasant surprise!
My dinner companions, who were vegetarians, not vegans, enjoyed their Dosa platter and Cheesy spring dosas. The restaurant is working on finding a good vegan alternatives to veganize the menu items containing dairy.
Sankalp is currently offering a Tuesday evening dinner buffet, from 6-10pm. In addition to its usual signature dishes highlighting the cuisine of india, the buffet includes some dishes from Mexico as well
The decor is divine, with a separate, beautifully appointed banquet room for private party rental.
Serving sizes are generous. Prices are very affordable, most appetizers under $5.00; most entrees under $10.00.
It's a long drive from my home, an hour in moderate traffic, the only negative, yet well worth the drive.
I'll be going back next weekend.

Pros: excellent, authentic Indian food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: long drive

Dear Owner and Manager of Sankalp The Taste of India: