Sampoorna Vegetarian Surprise

Vegetarian restaurant serving traditional Indian cuisine and tandoori. Caters for mild to hot curries, and vegan options. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian
11 Essex Road (Huntingdale Road)
Mount Waverley, Victoria 3149

First Review by reeplay
SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Sensational Indian Food

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Lucky me as I don't live too far from this family run business. Really nice family and boy can they cook! Check out the Manchurian cauliflower fritters, mixed durubi and kofta in a spinach sauce. I am obsessed by their lemon rice. Yum.

vgough
vgough

Yummy and reliable

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

We have eaten at Sampoorna lots of times and had take away as well. The food's always really, really good and it's a bright and friendly family-run restaurant. Its great to have a veg restaurant in Mt Waverly/Chadstone area. The food is authentic and I like that the taste of the different vegetables is retained.
The decor etc is basic but in some ways that's really nice, relaxing and comfortable. We've had birthdays (with non-veg family members), quick dinners when we didnt feel like cooking etc and always enjoyed it.
The staff are very considerate of people's tastes and have managed our family's differing tolerances of chilli really well!
Its only got a few tables but we've never had a problem getting in- book if you have a bigger group or if you are making a special trip.

Pros: great food, real vegetarians, friendly, variety
hippywoman
hippywoman

Best Aussie Indian veg restaurant I've visited

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

Being of Indian origin (and relative to other Indian vegetarian restaurants), this place was clean, service was excellent (owners are friendly) and food was not overly oily (which often happens at indian restaurants). We asked for the food to be medium spiced and to be fair we probably should have asked for hot as we (a group of Indians) found it a little bland (spiciness levels are relative so it can be difficult to tell, especially the first time at a restaurant!). We had the aloo tikki, malai kofta, dal makhani, paneer, vindaloo vegetable curry, vegetable pilau, rotis and kulfi for dessert (mango is amazing!). Everything was well prepared and presented and tasted nice but again I think we just found it a bit bland as we should have asked for spicier. But I was still impressed and I think it is reasonably priced.

Pros: Excellent service, Good value, Nice food

hev
hev

Delicious food at very reasonable price.

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2011

Visited this restaurant tonight for dinner. The food was delicious, my partner had the butter soy dish and I had the Dhal, we had the chickpea and potato salad to start with. I am vegan and they mistakenly served us the starter with a yoghurt based sauce, but quickly realised the error and apologised profusely and brought another with a tamarind dressing instead. All the ingredients were tasty, freshly cooked and my dhal was to die for:)
Surroundings are basic but the food and service more than made up for that.
Total cost was $37 for the two of us (one starter, two mains, a naan bread and a rice).
Definately be returning to this one.

Pros: Healthy, fresh cuisine, Happy to change menu on request. , Excellent value
Cons: basic surroundings
reeplay
reeplay

Great Vegetarian food and so close to home!

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2011

I like up the road from this place in Chadstone. So far we've had Lord of the Fries open in the shopping centre and Sampoorna in Mt Waverely. They're Indian veg and absolutely delicious. They have some Indian favourites that you don't normally see on Indian restaurant menus in Melbourne - things like Raj Ma and Chole Bhatura. I've been here a few times since they've opened. My whole family loves it.

Pros: Great range of food, chole bhatura - yum, spicy!
Cons: only indian food, couldn't bring a very large group

Dear Owner and Manager of Sampoorna Vegetarian Surprise: