Innovative vegetarian cuisine with vegan options. Try the vegan king prawn sandwich and the vegan cooked breakfast. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, International
111 Mayflower Street
Plymouth, England PL1 1SD
01752-263116

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Kevster
lemoncookie
lemoncookie

Vegan Fun

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2014

I really like Samphire Brasserie. It is a friendly restaurant, open for brunch/ lunch and dinner. It has quirky decor, which gives the place a unique and comfortable character. The food is tasty and freshly made. The menu has vegan fun remakes, inventive fake-fish and chips, not-chicken in a bucket, etc. They also do gluten free and raw food options.

Pros: Most of the food is Vegan, Gluten Free marked, fresh and tasty
Cons: why not go all vegan? seems like you are close, go
Trudiecole
Trudiecole

The best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to.

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

I had the privilege of eating at the Samphire Brasserie on Saturday and I was thoroughly impressed. The food was delicious. I like lentils and that kind of thing, but it was a treat to be able to choose dishes such as fish and chips and chicken drum sticks. The ambience of the restaurant was charming and despite choosing 'fast food' style food, it still felt relatively healthy (the cauliflower buffalo wings were particularly nice), and didn't feel over processed.

The fish and chips were something else. Why have I not had this before, why don't other restaurants make these? Amazing!!

As a vegan, choice can be limited even in totally vegetarian restaurants - but not at the Samphire Brasserie where practically everything is already vegan or can be easily veganised.

The service was perfect, attentive but not overpowering. It felt as no request was too much to ask. My infant son was welcomed and had a meal created for him.

The portions were generous and the price was very reasonable. I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough. My only quibble is that it's so far away so I can only visit on holiday.

Pros: Innovative menu, Good value, Great service
RoseVonVegan
RoseVonVegan

Really impressed!

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

Lovely food!

We had a vegan breakfast when we arrived in Plymouth. That was lovely and tasty. That evening we took my parents out and enjoyed the FREE CORKAGE on some alcoholic drinks brought in - and a free hot drink (tea or coffee) at the end because we had booked a table. They also gave us a jug of free tap water with cucumber in when we arrived. That is really friendly - both to us and the environment! ;)

The food was lovely. They make their own vegan cheeses, which are worth trying either separately or in something. My dad especially was thrilled with his burger and loved the tempeh we had as a side. My mum enjoyed her tart and my boyfriend and I enjoyed our rather filling fish and chips. Chips were very good here, and the fish was homemade with seaweed and soya protein and in cider batter. The brownie and caramel cheesecake we had after were both to die for...

The girl serving was in an amazing, friendly and helpful mood all day! No idea how she keeps it up but it was nice to be served by someone so happy and friendly (even if my mum and I feel weird about someone calling us madam ;) ).

The only thing that was a bit odd about this place was the decor. It was quite folksy café-ish, so I was expecting a certain standard of food. But it was actually really, really good with great service and presentation. It is not like it is shabby, it is just not as high class as the food, presentation and service. It isn't unclean or anything. I'm just saying that the food is more fantastic restaurant than café standard.

One little detail we loved: fresh herbs in pots on the table. So much more appropriate than dead flowers! There was also an unobtrusive collection of animal rights, veg*n and local interest leaflets and booklets downstairs outside the toilets. It made me feel more welcome and at home. ;)

We came here because Veggie Perrin's was shut, but I think we actually had a better time here than we would have had there. Both are excellent, but for me, this place slightly has the edge.

Pros: yummy food!!!, friendly service - free jug of water as you walk i, homemade vegan cheese and fish (not together!)
Cons: decor is fine, but not befitting the fantastic foo

Kevster
Kevster

Enjoyable trip to the Brasserie

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

I was pleased at the variety on the menu when i dropped in on a lunchtime. Having an all day vegan breakfast option is always a good start for any cafe i think.

The smoked tempeh, 'black pudding', oyster mushrooms and vine cherry tomatoes added a little something extra to a breakfast i might usually cook at home.

In a few weeks i'll be making a trip to try an evening meal, check out their menu online.

PS Try the Hot Chocolate! Best i've had in years.

Pros: Friendly/interested in feedback., Interesting and delicious, Central location

Dear Owner and Manager of Samphire Brasserie: