Vegetarian Indian fast food with many vegan options. The dishes are pre-made and kept warm in a glass steamtable. You order at the counter. A combo with 3 curries/dishes, white rice, and bread costs around $8.50 (extra for brown rice). Offers soy yogurt for vegans. There's also a small chaat menu (samosas, pani puri, bhel puri). Casual, clean-lines decor with a large wooden communal table in the center of the dining area. Parking in lot behind or on the street in front. Same owners as Bhahat Baazar, but this location is restaurant only and no Indian groceries. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out
10700 Washington Blvd (Overland)
Culver City, California 90232
310-398-6766

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by gr8vegan
Chia
Chia

Great place to get my Indian fix

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

I had first read about this place on happycow, and here's my Samosa House East review

Since it opened, I've eaten here countless times. I've also been to their other restaurant & store, Bhahat Bazaar and The Samosa House, though I like this location. It's modern, bright, clean, and easy to access. I like the simplicity of restaurant space and decor. It's very un-like other vegetarian Indian restaurant I've been to.

Diners can sit around the large communal table in the center of the room with other patrons and enjoyed their Indian fix.

The steamtable buffet selection features around 10 buffet options (usually 2 will contain dairy, the others vegan). There is also a menu of some snack sides.

I especially like the samosas, which I always get when I eat at Samosa House. They're served with a mint and a sweet & tangy tamarind sauce dip. I also like the naan bread, the jackfruit dish, chana masala (chickpeas), and the eggplant curry. The saag (spinach) dish is a bit on the salty side. The potatoes cauliflower dish is pretty good, but the lentil soup can be salty. The mango chutney, which you can find at the checkout in a little plastic container for 50 cents, it okay.

Parking in the back lot is limited, but there is street parking in front.

Overall, I would recommend Samosa House East for anyone who's in the Culver City and wants a tasty Indian meal.

Pros: nice space, delicious samosas, vegan friendly
rikki
rikki

Incredible Food/Value!

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2010

Fantastic place, we eat there at least once a week. Love the food, and it's an incredible value. Samosa chat is great, and I almost always try their new dishes, but Saag is my perennial favorite (love the jackfruit too).

Pros: Great food, Friendly Staff, Great Value
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

A couple of oil free items, but a nice modern look

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2010

Make sure you tell them you are vegan. I really like the chana masala, it was pretty much the only item that didn't have oil in so all that I could eat with Papadam, but the woman behind the counter was very helpful. The rice is covered in oil so that was a bit of a let down. I prefer Chandni where you can get anything customized, but really appreciated the modern flow to an all veg Indian place. The Combination plate seems to be the way to go, but make sure they don't put yogurt on it. I'd really like to know the ingredients in the dal. Does anyone know if its vegan? I guess I should have clarified that first.

Pros: chana masala is oil free, papadam
Cons: rice is oily, most of the food is oily

Dear Owner and Manager of Samosa House East: