Serves meat, veg options available. A mix of Indian and Pakastani food. Primarily all meat except for a vegetable biryani, a falafel wrap, and some Indian breads. Dairy used. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Pakistani, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
400 Iberville St
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
504-561-6070

First Review by button
Myszka
Myszka

Friendly staff and very good food!

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

The staff was very friendly. They asked us, if we like it mild or spicy. We ordered spicy and the guy even came to our table and asked if it's spicy enough or too much. The food was delicious! There was a difference between Indian food, i guess that's because they're Pakistani and that's their way of preparing those dishes. If you're a vegetarian and order a Paneer dish, you can truly tell that they're making the paneer all by themselves and don't use convenience stuff. We went there two times and regretted, that we didn't make it a third time! It's a perfect place for people that like authentic cuisine, would give 5 stars if it was possible!

x180x
x180x

Disappointing

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

We were in the Quarter and thought this place would be delicious based off their menu. I've had all these dishes at other restaurants before, and it was terrible here.

My wife and I were hungry, but neither of us could palate the food and had to go elsewhere for dinner.

Pros: Location
Cons: Food
heyheyrenee
heyheyrenee

Vegan Friendly

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

The staff could not be nicer and they are very aware of what items are vegan. I really appreciated the service. The restaurant is just a little hole in the wall but I thought the food was very good. Get it to go and take it to the park for better ambiance.

Pros: Vegan friendly

VeganYUMYUM
VeganYUMYUM

don't waste your time

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2013

This place is a fast-food style place, but we waited 45 minutes for 3 entrees. When we finally got the food, it was just "meh." I wish we hadn't wasted our time here!

Cons: slow, bland
vegancookie
vegancookie

Terrible

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

This place was greasy. The food (I ordered aloo gobi) was spicy and gave me indigestion. It was gross.

Pros: vegan options
Cons: too spicy, loud t.v.
uniquerob
uniquerob

Gooood food, very vegan friendly

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2011

So, the outward appearance is, as others note, sketchy to say the least. But, but! The food is great. Was at a convention in veg-unfriendly NOLA with my meat consuming companions. This place worked for everyone. The proprietor is very friendly, and knowledgeable. All, or almost all the Indian cuisine is vegan -- even the Naan. It does tend to be on the hot side, so be aware. My work companions suggested the second visit, which is rare. They usually follow me somewhere once per trip!

Pros: Excellent Food, Vegan, Friendly proprietor
Cons: Ambiance, Ambiance
sheepshrooms
sheepshrooms

dig it

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

I've gotta say, I was kinda skeptical when I walked into this little hole in the wall. But I was excited to see a statement at the bottom of the menu that all vegetable dishes are vegan or vegetarian (only one dish contains dairy). I ordered dahl and rice, and the server reassured me that it was vegan. It was delicious- pretty spicy but wonderful with the long grain rice. I also had some of my friend's chana and it was really good. I want to go back and try all of the other vegetable dishes on the menu. The people there are really friendly and the place has a reputation for being darn tasty. I encourage you to give it a try.

Pros: dahl, cooks are vegan informed, easy to find- close to canal st.
Cons: a little grimy
jujutsuka
jujutsuka

excited to exhaust menu

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2011

Definitely agree with "shpicy-kins!" but all-due-respect disagree with "dumpy". Yep, it's small but I was impressed that the chairs, tables and even the floors were very clean. The guy taking my (vegan) order was super accommodating, friendly and informative. It's places like this that help us spicy-phobic people start to come around. Yum.

Pros: yummy, informative for vegans, delicious
Cons: small

Spicy!

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

Call this English vegan a candy a** but the food here was shpicy-kins! Oooooh! The owners, Khan family were super friendly and accomodating, and even brought me a freebie for my burned cake hole. It was rather a "greasy spoon" but that didn't bother me and my bro at all, reminded us of home. If you don't eat meat, and don't want to starve in New Orleans, go to Salt and Pepper :)

Pros: lots of options, super kind staff
Cons: spicy
kayellebee
kayellebee

Not Impressed

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2010

There are plenty of veg options, which is nice, but it took sooo long to get our food. When it finally came, it was not very good. I expected more food for the $ and the wait. Then the waitress messed up our check and over-charged us. After explaining it to her twice, she finally fixed it. The atmosphere is that of a truck stop, but the location is nice if you're a vegan in the French Quarter. Give it a shot, everyone else seems to love it.

Pros: Location
Cons: Atmostphere, Service
scubaboles
scubaboles
  • raw

Vegan friendly

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2010

I was pleasantly surprised when I mentioned I was vegan to the fellow taking our order. He stated all the vegetable dishes were dairy and butter free. I felt confident in the chick pea dish was vegan. The guy brought out a yogurt dip to go with the fried veggies ( I believe it was potatoes and onions) for my husband and stated "this is not for you, it's yogurt dip". I appreciated this. The chick peas were satisfying. My husband got a meat dish and he enjoyed his dish as well. Local Indian folks were the main clientele.

Pros: Confident eating vegan food, Good food
elkals
elkals

Much love, much love indeed

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2009

Ok, sometimes it can be a bit greasy, but not enough to cause real problems. All of the veg curries are fantastic. There are usually 4 or so a day. The aloo ghobi (potato cauliflower) and the dal are my favorites. My boyfriend likes the channa (chickpea). Ask for it spicy. Their nan is the best I have ever had and is $1. The somosas are light and flaky and very fresh. I would eat here every day if it didn't mean becoming obese. The prices have gone up over the years. The went from dirt cheap to moderately inexpensive. If you order a side of rice, make sure to order a half order because even that is too big.

Pros: fresh, "substitution" friendly, open late
Cons: no ambience
Guest

Pretty darn good for a hole in the wall

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2008

My hubby and I are vegan, and were please to find this place in the un-vegfriendly city of New Orleans. It's just a little take out joint with a few tables to eat in, but the food is pretty darn good for a hole in the wall. The owner was very adamant that he does NOT use dairy in anything. Try the okra: it's not slimy and is delish.

button
button

Tasty hole-in-the-wall

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2008

This place is a bit dumpy, but the food was tasty and the staff is super friendly. It's also convenient to the touristy center of New Orleans

Pros: Conveniently located, Vegan options, Friendly staff
Cons: A bit Dingy, NO decor