Vegan restaurant located in Kamakura 4 minute walk from Hase station. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, International

NinomaeJyuuichi
NinomaeJyuuichi

Way overrated...

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2015

I was very disappointed coming here. After deciding to walk from Kamakura station instead of taking the train to Hase we worked up quite an appetite before coming here. First was the wait, we had to wait about 30 minutes to be seated here on a Sunday afternoon. Luckily we arrived later, so we could pay for the afternoon cafe lunch prices instead of the lunchtime prices (which were still extraordinarily expensive). My partner and I had the mabo tofu sorghum pasta, which was very bland and tasteless. My friend however had a coconut curry which he raved about (but maybe he was just being polite). Though having to pay 1800en for each dish (not including a drink or desert) I would have expected more creativity from the pasta dish. The best thing about this place is the view, and the decor inside the little cafe is very well done too. It's a shame though the food here didn't live up to our expectations as we had eaten at the Sri-Sairam before which was very good. My partner and I both left disappointed with a dent in our wallets. Would not come back here and would probably try something else around the area next time. Basically you're paying for the view here. I didn't try any of the deserts though since I felt I had paid enough here.

On a side note there was a little independent tofu shop just around the corner with some good tofu :-)

Pros: Ocean view, Nice decor
Cons: Too expensive, Bland food, Small so may have to wait for a table
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Wonderful place to chill and refill

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2014

We've known about this place since when it was opened since it's not far from where we live, but we had been avoiding it because from what we could tell (we even called them once), they didn't appear to use organic ingredients and we try to stick to organic, particularly in Japan.

Yesterday our curiosity got the better of us and we gave it a go. So glad we did! Firstly, they do appear to use quite a lot of organic ingredients as was apparent both from the menu and from the waitress's assurances - so one big barrier removed right away.

The character of the place is also enough to charm the sock off anyone.. literally, as you'll be taking your shoes off if you want to lounge on their beachside deck. The building looks to be a renovated house and is finished with natural ingredients and bundles of good taste. Part of it is air-conditioned, the other part is outside and faces the beach (and an admittedly heavily trafficked road).

The waitress who served us was as full of charm as the ambiance - smiling, knowledgeable and polite. The menu is not large but entails some lunch sets, about 5 cake options (all vegan - yay!) and just enough interesting drinks to keep us entertained for at least a while. We tried the banana variant of their house brewed amazake (fermented rice drink) which was truly divine, and some grain coffee, which was prepared in the style of a well brewed real coffee and hit the spot just great.

We didn't try the lunch offerings as we weren't so hungry but will be back to check those out for sure as they looked wonderfully varied and satisfyingly voluminous.

One thing I will say - it's not so cheap, so if you're on a budget you may want to keep an eye on the prices. But it's Japan, it's (hopefully) mostly organic and it's got a view right onto the ocean, so I guess that's to be expected.

Pros: use mostly organic ingredients, gorgeous ambience, well designed menu
Cons: why not publicly use the word 'organic'?, a bit pricey, menu isn't extensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Sairam: