Serves meat, veg options available. Vietnamese food restaurant with a large dining room. Offers a separate, extensive vegetarian menu featuring many mock meat dishes - in soup, noodles, rice, and stir frys. Egg rolls are made with rice paper (no eggs). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by veganstraightedge
Chia
Chia

Vietnamese Food

3 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

I had read about this place on HappyCow and was in town (June 2014), so I went in for a look. Here's my Saigon In and Out review.

The place is further up State Street going away from the ocean, a nice walk. It's a very large restaurant with deep interior and slightly dim lighting.

I asked about vegetarian choices, and the server gave me a separate vegetarian menu. On it were numerous choices, most items do contain some kind of mock meat. Not sure if the mock meats contain egg and whey, but I didn't bother to ask. I just wanted to eat Vietnamese veg food!

My family ordered a cold rice noodle dish that came with fried rolls and tofu. It didn't taste like as I had had at other Vietnamese restaurants. The tofu had a salty goey sauce which I didn't like.

We also tried one of the noodle soups, opted for mock chicken option. The soup had a good broth.

Then we shared an order of spring rolls (with tofu). That was okay.

Overall, I would say the vegetarian food is okay. I remember having better veggie/vegan versions at Loving Huts around the country. But, if you are craving vegetarian Asian/Vietnamese food, this is the only option here.

isabeldivine
isabeldivine

Mmmmmmmmmm!

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

They have a menu for carnivores but we get are very own menu four pages long. There are so many options! Everything I've tried has been delicious.

JenniferKoukla
JenniferKoukla
  • herbivore

yummy soup and excellent curry tofu

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

Visited Monday night and the place was quiet so we got plenty of attention. Staff was friendly. Really LOVED the "curry tofu" the sauce was exceptional. The pho had delicious broth and noodles but the faux beef detracted so we just pulled it out. Appetizer was the green papaya salad, very good. Bog portions good prices!

gimmesomegreens
gimmesomegreens

Flavorful, fresh vegan/veg options!

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

I love that they have a complete and separate vegetarian menu! LOTS of options! Staff was excellent, food came out in a timely fashion. Also, some of the staff were knowledgeable about what was in the different sauces and knew what vegetarian/vegan meant (i.e. no fish sauce on vegetable dishes). I got the veggie pho and fresh tofu spring rolls for an appetizer and everything was great. I will definitely go again.

Pros: Wide selection , Very fresh, Very flavorful
kristensilva
kristensilva

Worth it!

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2010

At first, I was a bit disappointed after sitting down and looking through the menu to find only one vegetarian meal. Then I asked the waiter if there were any vegetarian items. Much to my delight, he handed me an entirely different menu - the same size as the other one - full of completely veg-friendly selections! It was heaven! They even have soy shrimp, which I tried, and it was deliicciiouuusss. Sure, the neighborhood is maybe not the best part of Santa Barbara, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you come to Santa Barbara and gloss over this hidden treasure!

Pros: food, vegetarian selection, wait staff
Cons: price, location, bathroom odor
veganstraightedge
veganstraightedge

Some of the best noodle soup I've ever had!!

4 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2009

Saigon isn't just a restaurant - it's a place you go when there is merely nothing else to quench your hunger! On a really warm summer day, the vegetable spring rolls are great with their very tasty dipping sauce with peanuts. I love their golden tofu noodle soup with all the additional toppings you'd expect - jalapenos, bean sprouts, parsley, etc! Add some Sriracha and assorted other chili sauces and it's a delicious, easy, meal that will fill you up. A bit pricey - but worth it if you've got the extra few bucks to spend.

Pros: Excellent service, Great atmosphere, Great taste
Cons: A little expensive