Serves meat, veg options available. Busy Eritrean food restaurant, so book ahead. Traditional decor. Veg choices such as sambussa with lentils, falafel, couscous, hamli, sciro (chickpea puree injera), potatoes and vegetables served with injera. The veg dishes are priced moderately, meat ones more expensive. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Eritrean, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg
Viale Ippocrate, 43
Rome, Italy 00161
+39-06-44242583

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by nicolo96
nicolo96
nicolo96

Nice and unusual restaurant

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

I was expecting something expensive based on online reviews of meat eaters, but the starters were 5€, the veg main courses either 8€ or 10€, with decent portion sizes, so that's quite reasonable.
The menu has a page showing the veg main courses, and when I said I was a vegetarian, the waitress immediately pointed to the veg starters (they make vegan felafels, which is not totally obvious from the menu but which she mentioned).
I took the veg falafels and then a mix veg plate, which let me try small portion of 4 veg specialties. I liked all of it. It was the first time I had any Eritrean (or east-african, for that matters) food and I was pleased. However I have to mention that what they serve as bread, the crêpe-like millet-based "injera" is sour (due to the fermentation), and it's not for everybody's palate. I found it OK and ate it all but then, I've eaten natto before.
The restaurant is nicely decorated with many elements of the Eritrean culture, and the Eritrean-born (I assume, but I didn't ask and I can't tell if what they spoke between them was Tigrinya or Amharic or something else) waitresses are dressed in traditional costumes, and they're very friendly. I think I heard one speak English to foreign tourists but I didn't really pay attention.
The main thing I regret is that there's no purely vegan dessert. If you consider honey vegan, then there's a sesame-based dessert for you.
Also it's not fair that the vegan felafels cost as much as the meat felafels. Or they should at least serve 5 (or 6) instead of 4 for the same price. That would make them vegan friendlier...
Also the south-African wine we had (15€) was quite OK. If you prefer there's Italian wine too.
Overall I spent a good evening and tried new things.
Remember to book in advance, especially during the week-end or summer. I was there during the week, it wasn't packed (they can seat about 60) but still quite active.

Pros: good + exotic vegan food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, vegan friendly staff and menu
Cons: no 100% veg dessert (at least honey), Music a bit repetitive (not loud though), their bread/crêpe not for everyone(sour)

Dear Owner and Manager of Sahara: