Sage Organic Vegan Bistro

Opened Mar 2011 by owners of Millie's restaurant and bought by KindKreme in 2012, this vegan food restaurant serves daily lunch and dinner plus weekend brunch. The only non-vegan item is honey, which is used in a few sauces - ask. Causal decor with large windows and shares the same space as KindKreme raw ice cream shop. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Mexican, Take-out, Juice bar

First Review by gr8vegan
Mike Weinberg
Mike Weinberg

Honey is not vegan, so neither is Sage!

2 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

I patronize only 100% vegan eateries, because I don't want to be around people hurting (eating) animals, I don't want to have to worry or ask about "hidden" ingredients, and I believe in using my limited dining dollars to support brave vegan restaurateurs. I've enjoyed Sage in the past, but now that I know some of their sauces include honey, I'll stay away. I've also read KindKreme's rationale about why they use "humane" honey, but the financial interest of the owners' beekeeping father-in-law makes it suspect. When Sage/KindKreme become 100% vegan, I'll return.

gabbyrox7
gabbyrox7

They Can Do That With Fruits and Veggies???

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2014

Sage has everything I ever wanted in the world in one cool, collective cafe. After taking full liberty of sampling every glorious flavor of raw iceKream they offered I finally settled on a brownie Sunday adorned with maple and chocolate Kream and salted caramel topping. I was shocked that someone in this world could create something this magnificent. It was so sinfully rich and delightful that I was tempted to get another because I couldn't believe what magic just graced my lips. I then took a dive at their special of cauliflower hot wings and was pleasantly surprised at this common bar food turned veg. All in all, great sweets, eats and friendly faces.

grantxvx
grantxvx

Pleasing to All Types of Vegans

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

We went there with healthy vegans as well as junk-food vegans. Everybody was pleased with their dishes. The food seems healthy and whole foods based, but not douchy. Nice atmosphere and we some someone famous there?

Chia
Chia

Okay

3 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

I had read about this place on Happycow, and went there when it first opened and later on as well. Here's my Sage Organic Vegan Bistro review update.

The menu by the original owners was better; now it's okay. It offered a varied, international mix of dishes. Went back again twice since Sage was bought by the owners of KindKreme, and the menu wasn't the same anymore. Now it's more like modern vegan food combined with California Mexican flavors. The food tastes is good, but I miss the original menu.

The space is small, and the vibe is relaxed though when it's busy it feels loud and a bit too tight. Shares the same space as KindKreme, so it's convenient to grab raw vegan ice cream for dessert.

Pros: tasty food
Cons: needs better ventilation
earthville
earthville

An instant favorite!

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

Wow... We are extremely impressed with Sage!

It is rare to find a place that gets so many things right. We loved everything we had, and Sage offers a menu so extensive and so enticing that we'll have to return dozens of times to try everything that looks appealing.

We loved the jackfruit nachos, root vegetable tacos, reuben sandwich (best we've ever had). The butternut squash ice cream was divine. Fresh juices and smoothies were great.

Service was excellent even though the place was completely packed.

And, considering the quality of the food and the generous portions, the prices were surprisingly reasonable. (We've certainly paid a lot more elsewhere for food of lesser quality and/or smaller portions.)

After we stuffed ourselves, we had a pleasant stroll around the lake two blocks away, a good way to burn off a few calories from a great meal — or at least rationalize the dessert ;-).

Enjoy!

Pros: huge menu of delicious organic, vegan fa, excellent service, reasonable prices
Ryan MTB
Ryan MTB

Great Food

5 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

Delicious food and warm, inviting staff and atmosphere. I especially dig their hot apple cider- amazing! Other favorites: root vegetable tacos, plantains, samosas.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Vegan junk food too if you want it
Cons: Not completely vegan (honey)
ronitw
ronitw

Good Food

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2013

Had a nice dinner, I love ravioli and theirs is great. We will be back to sample more.
Word of caution: I emailed and asked whether all food was vegan, and the answer back was "Yes everything on the menu is vegan except for we have honey for tea and two of our flavors of ice cream". Fair enough. The waiters did not know this and assured me that everything was vegan.

Pros: Good food
pgnlvr22b
pgnlvr22b

Friendly Yum

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

The staff is so sweet, helpful, and accommodating. The brunch menu is delicious and you can't leave without having a milkshake. I had one with coconut milk and pumpkin pie icecream...out of this world

Pros: Friendly Staff, All Vegan, Great Food
Cons: Price, Kind Kreme uses honey
TheVeganAbroad
TheVeganAbroad

Best brunch in LA

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

I love this place. Recently went for the second time after fantasizing about the Benedict Arnold I had there about a year ago. Unfortunately the Benedict Arnold is no longer on the menu, but there are still a ton of amazing dishes to be had.

On this visit I was able to try from all my friends dishes. We had: Chilliquiles, potato tacos, chia french toast, and the spinach avocado and walnut sausage florentine. Everything was amazing, except for the florentine. I wasn't a fan of the fake sausage. It was too mushy, not a fan of the consistency. The french toast was sweet and delicious but the real standout was the chilliquiles! Sooooo yummy.

The staff is really friendly and the ambiance is very bright and open. PLUS, if you're not full after all the bomb food, they have a little vegan ice cream shop right when you walk in.

I visit Sage every time I'm in LA and never regret it.

Pros: Delicious food, vegan ice cream shop!
Cons: pricey
dancingvegan
dancingvegan

Seriously & Excruciatingly Superb/Exciting Food!!

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2013

I had brunch here a couple weeks ago and was quite pleasantly surprised when I bit into my Sweet Dumplings appetizer. The taste, texture and presentation were exquisite. Then I bit into the Tex Mex Chimichanga Egg Rolls appetizer and knew I was in vegan heaven. Gourmet vegan food at its best.

Since I am a vegan baker myself and eat enough of my own delectable delights, I did not partake in KindKreme's desserts, but maybe next time.

I will tell you that it is very hard to find. I never saw a sign for Sage, but I did see a KindKreme sign and just passed it by not realizing it was in the same building. When I walked in and asked if this was Sage, the friendly counter people said it was. It is a basic & funky type of atmosphere with an up and downstairs eating area. It is very casual and hip with attentive wait staff.

No matter where you live, if you are a vegan, vegetarian or vegan/vegetarian-curious, you HAVE to go to this place!! I have been a vegan since 1997 and have never tasted such flavorful cuisine.

Bon Appetit!!

Updated from previous review on Sunday March 17, 2013

Pros: Exquisite Food, Reasonable Prices
Cons: No Evident Signage
JcRodriguez
JcRodriguez

Nice

3 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

I went first time with new friends, I like it, food excellent. But one staff member was not friendly at all, kind of hurry up I'm busy... one of my friends left him a note, saying he was a bit rude. Also desserts are a bit pricey.

Pros: good food , nice vibe
Cons: one staff a bit rude, a bit noisy
a woods
a woods

portions are HUGE

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

lots of craftmanship going into this menu. the raw crackers and vegan cheese plate is THE BOMB. cheese is why it was a challenge for me to become vegan in the past. my sweetheart ordered soup and the jerk burger. the soup was a "cup"...it was enough for at least 2 people. he didn't even get to the burger..we both had to go boxes and the only complaint...we were too full to taste the raw vegan ice cream

Pros: healthy, good value, large portions
Cons: noisy, crowded
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

a favorite in los angeles

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

i've taken a few non-veg friends to sage, and they have all loved it as much as i did/do. every dish i've had at sage has been outstanding, and i usually eat there multiple times on my visits to los angeles.
plus, it's about a block away from the echo park film center.

Pros: the food, the location, the staff
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Sage Organic Vegan Bistro

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

Sadly, they wouldn't serve me the fried mac n cheese balls that I went to Sage for. Apparently they don't serve them during brunch, bummer. Instead I tried the TLT sandwich, which is made with tempeh. Let me preface this with, I hate tempeh. So why did I order it? The waiter assured me it was great and that I'd likely like it, he was right. The tempeh didn't taste like typical tempeh, and the sandwich bread was a croissant, yes a croissant...yum! Overall my sandwich was really good, so good that I actually ate tempeh. I recommend the sandwich to tempeh lovers and haters alike.

Guest
Guest

One of the best vegan places

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

In my visit to L.A. I came here twice the food was so good. I had the spinach ravioli and it was to die for. The raw tacos too are especially good. Great food/service/atmosphere. Coming back for sure.

Pros: Variety of meals, Friendly
lstorey2
lstorey2

organic Vegan

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

Stopped in for lunch the only thing better than watching the locals come and go was the food. Grilled vegetable sandwich with the horseradish sauce was amazing. A little too much oil used in grilling veggies but that is mostly because we have pretty much stopped using oil in cooking, So now a little goes a long way, but overall that did not detract from the meal. The salad with balsamic vinagarette was also very good. Very nice casual dining with some outside sidewalk tables available.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: need additional wait staff
Gobbledock
Gobbledock

The most incredible vegan brownie sundae!

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

I've only eaten at Sage once, as I don't live in LA, but OMG this place is absolutely incredible! If I remember correctly I had the Soul Bowl, which was a tasty mix of black beans, quinoa, deep fried mac and cheese ball, and the most delicious horseradishy sauce I've ever tasted.. My partner had the Hawaii burger which was also one the the best burgers I've ever tasted. For desert we shared the brownie sundae with salted caramel sauce... drooollll!!!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I dream of heading back to LA one day to eat here again...

Stevie Y
Stevie Y

Sadly, not very good

2 Posted on 02 / 29 / 2012

I was extremely excited to try Sage for dinner. I can say that the space was open and inviting and the menu descriptions furthered my interest. However, the food was ultimately clumbsy and underwhelming. I endured either bland or bizarrely seasoned plates. When I ordered the ravioli, the server asked if "I like spicy". I said "great" - later I realize that this was his way of telling me that customers often complain about the odd usage of herbs in the dish (no heat, just awfully designed flavor). Overall, the menu reads better than it actually looks/tastes. I want to make it clear that I adore comfort food (I'm NOT a foodie snob). That said, Sage is pretending to be upscale, while offering sloppy creations best served to the excited palates of newly transformed vegans on college campuses. If the food was great, the prices would have been fine - EXCEPT for the extremely overpriced vegan icecream. I'm sorry to say it, but KindKreme is just not that special. This is not sent with malice. I support all things vegan. Hopefully, Sage either turns into a coffee shop or imports new talent into the kitchen, thus creating a more positive identity.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Food, Seasoning, Flavor
tutivera
tutivera

Less than fair

2 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2012

I went to this bistro guided by reviews in my app... I was disappointed... the food was average and for expensive... we order different plates... I tried them and they were less than fair... I've been in better restaurants... however, I aplaud that they are offering options for vegans in the area... The places is starting we will have to give them some time to improve the menu...

Pros: Clean place
Cons: Poor flavors, no parking, expensive
alyssa
alyssa

One of the Best Veg Restaurants in Town

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2011

Sage is one of those restaurants vegans wish was in every neighborhood -- fresh, homemade food served by hunky waiters in a casual but attractive setting. A group of us finally made it over there this afternoon and were completely satisfied, even the carnivores. I was intrigued by the Tuna Melt and was not disappointed. It was made with shredded jackfruit and and piled high on toasted olive bread with veggies, special sauces and even avocado. I appreciated that they just used veggies to stand in for the tuna instead of processed soy. I even found some sunflower seeds in there. The German potato salad that accompanied it was very tasty as well. It was such a large plate that I ended up taking most of my meal home. Others in the group got the Street Tacos, the Bacon Chili Cheeseburger, the Southwestern Burger, the Pesto Croissant Club Sandwich, and the baby got her Mac n' Cheese on. The spicy pickles on burgers were amazing! I was thankful my husband is not a pickle person so I got to eat his. We were too full to get ice cream but I got a Baby Cakes chocolate chip cookie to go. All in all, a very satisfying and relaxing meal.

Pros: very fresh, good prices, nice atmosphere
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

A++++

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2011

Gourmet vegan cuisine in a relaxed, casual setting. They serve lunch, dinner and do brunch from 9a-4pm Sat & Suns. The menu selection is amazing. It's the kind of place you could keep coming back to b/c you'd never get bored. Sage makes me wish I lived in L.A.!

As for specific menu items, the spinach quesadillas are fantastic. The burrito mole had no mole..it was more of a red pepper sauce. It was good but false advertising if you were expecting a typical thick, dark brownish red mole sauce. For dessert, deep fried black bean and fennel ice cream served with plantains. I ordered it for the plantains but found the icecream to be mind-blowingly awesome. Where else in the universe can you get this dessert? If the 'special' desserts on the menu don't appeal to you, you can order from the ice cream counter up front.

If I'm going to be really picky my only complaint would be that they close down from 4 to 5pm on the weekends. We got there just in time at 3:30pm. They started turning people away at 3:45pm. There was a steady stream of disappointed faces heading out the door. I understand u guys open early on the weekends but if there's any way you can stay open while you're making the transition to the dinner menu that'd be a bonus.

emilc
emilc

Delicious!

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2011

Wow- what a great little place! The food was excellent, and the prices were reasonable, too. This place offers so many various options, from brunch foods, to burgers, to pastas, to other exotic entrees. They also have a wide selection of dessert and "ice cream". A vegan's dream. The food was very good (loved the succotash!), but some dishes were quite spicy, so ask for things mild if you don't like the spice. The service was friendly, too. Definitely two thumbs up!

Pros: Delicious food, Many options, Dessert
Cons: Parking can be tricky
giegie
giegie

Loved it!

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

So good, I had the raw tacos and my my friend had the breakfast burrito. Both were delicious and fresh. The French Press coffee was great also. Really wanted ice cream but was was too full, next time for sure!

Pros: delicious, friendly staff
JesiDi
JesiDi
  • raw

The best!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

I am amazed by this place! One of my favorite places for dinner. I love their mac & cheese balls!! Their ice cream is phenomenal!! Great service and quick with the turnaround.

Pros: Delicious food, Great Service , Great desserts!
darlingviolettas
darlingviolettas

An Echo Park vegan place to call our own!

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

Besides being stoked at the fact that there's now a local Echo Park vegan restaurant...it's also INCREDIBLE food. Highly recommended for a date or if you just want something different than your average vegan spots. The food is gourmet, equivalent to Flore or Elf or Real Food Daily. They have items on the menu I've never had anywhere else..everything tastes fresh! The staff is super friendly and helpful.

They also have a vegan ice cream bar with mostly almond or coconut based milks...not soy!

After you go there..head down the Echo Park Lake for some croquet !

Pros: Gourmet, unique menu items, atmosphere, price
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Yummy brunch

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2011

We went today for a late brunch and I wanted everything listed on the menu. It all sounds so good! And the ones we did order tasted so good. I got the smoked macaroni and cheese with biscuit & gravy and walnut sausage. I chose the side of roasted rosemary potatoes. So so tasty. Dirk got the jackfuit chorizo burrito which was fantastic although it was a bit spicy for me. He got the side of fruit which was very fresh. I also had a mimosa while Dirk got an iced dirty Chai. To finish it all off, we got a waffle ice cream sandwich from Kind Kreme. Yes, ice cream between waffles! OMG! I can't wait to go back and try more items from the menu.

The space is open and clean with Kind Kreme in the front corner, so it's easy to check out their stuff although their menu was given to us along with the Sage one. The service was very friendly as it feels like a neighborhood place. Our only issue was that it was sort of loud as the sound carries around the room.

Pros: fabulous brunch options, Kind Kreme inside, friendly service
Cons: a bit loud
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Probably the best vegan food in Los Angeles

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

I had an amazing meal here a few days ago. Chef Greg is talents beyond words. The french grain bowl took me to that scene in Ratatouille where the food critic takes a bite and crys. My first bite took me to France. It was the slowest I've ever eaten a meal in my life, savoring every bite. The hot chocolate was pretty amazing, too! There is a KindCream Ice Cream parlor inside which makes this place quite a treat.

Pros: French Grain bowl

Dear Owner and Manager of Sage Organic Vegan Bistro: