Sage Organic Vegan Bistro...

The 2nd Sage restaurant which also houses Kindkreme (raw ice cream, vegan soft serve). Menu here is more extensive than the Echo Park location. Large space with full bar. Food is all vegan except for honey in a few sauces & dips - vegans to ask. Has sandwiches, grain bowls, tacos, pizza, various starters and salads plus fresh hot pretzels. Honey is also used in some of the ice cream (labeled) as well raw honey for sale. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Pizza, Mexican, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
4130 Sepulveda Blvd
Culver City, California 90230
424-228-5835

Open Mon-Fri 11am-11pm, Sat-Sun 9am-4pm, 5pm-11pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Chia
Mike Weinberg
Mike Weinberg

Honey is not vegan!

2 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

I patronize only 100% vegan eateries, because I don't want to be around people hurting (eating) animals, I don't want to have to worry or ask about "hidden" ingredients, and I believe in using my limited dining dollars to support brave vegan restaurateurs. I've enjoyed Sage in the past, but now that I know some of their sauces include honey, I'll stay away. I've also read KindKreme's rationale about why they use "humane" honey, but the financial interest of the owners' beekeeping father-in-law makes it suspect. When Sage/KindKreme become 100% vegan, I'll return.

brandalock
brandalock

Great space, lack luster service, mediocre food

2 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

I live in Culver City and was SO excited when Sage opened up. I have been back here at least six times, trying to give this restaurant another chance and I have to say I always walk away a little unimpressed (which KILLS me to say because I always want to support Vegan restaurants as much as possible so I hope they can improve)

The fish tacos aren't too bad, and some of their dinner entrees are ok too, but nothing I am over the moon for. Also, their beer selection is a bit dull at best AND they do not provide ABVs which I think is very irresponsible. The worst thing is EVERY time I have been to Sage the beer I order is ALWAYS out, without fail. It has actual become a joke between my husband and I every time we go to try to give this place another chance.

Lastly the service is pretty poor. The waiters seem very uniformed about the food they are serving and they are pretty slow.

I hope Sage can get their act together since the space is so cool and could be such a great place to make as a part of our vegan regular rotation.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 20, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 20, 2014

Pros: Location, Ambiance, Space
Cons: Service, Beer selection, Mediocre food
Kelsurfs
Kelsurfs

get here now

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2014

This place is awesome. Staff are friendly and make this place that little bit collet than it already is. The food is awesome you want to come back doting the taste everything. It's a shame I live in Australia

Pros: food - variety, beers - lots of choices
Cons: if you come after 6:00 parking is a bit tougher

Gabe
Gabe

5-star food, 1-star service

3 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

My wife and I were both blown away by the food. The club sandwich was incredible, and they probably have the best vegan ice cream I've ever tasted. The service was not as impressive.

About 15 minutes after being seated, we were matter-of-factly informed by our waiter that he had forgotten about us. No apology, no attempt to correct the oversight. He continued to forget about us for the next hour and a half, and the rest of the staff seemed only slightly more helpful. The restaurant wasn't even half full. Only come if you're not in a rush.

Pros: Huge selection, Amazing sandwhiches, Amazing dessert
Cons: Parking, Indifferent servers, Slow
zoonoises
zoonoises

Brunch, Two Days in a Row!

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

My friends were in town, and were excited to try every vegan restaurant in LA. Sage was top of the list. We went for brunch, and it was so amazing we went again the next morning before their flight out. We tried as many plates as our bellies could handle. Everything was tasty and worth the bucks. Along with the dishes, we also got a few samples of the KindKreme. Yum!
-Go Green Salad, Burrito Mole, Gluten-Free Spinach Potato Quiche, BLTA, Gluten-Free Biscuits and Gravy, BLTA Pizza, Orange Strawberry Banana Smoothie, Blueberry Strawberry Coconut Milk Smoothie, Green Tomato Bloody Mary.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Beautiful Location
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

large new space

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

Dirk and I finally checked out the new location with another couple on a weeknight. We arrived at 7pm and it was mainly empty which gave me a good chance to look around. The new location is spacious and thoughtfully designed. The outside patio is inviting and the interior is sleek with wood and metal finishings. The patio was packed by the time we left after dinner.

As for the drink and food, there is more available here than in Echo Park. There's a separate pizza menu and the beer on tap is posted on chalkboards (I got the chocolate stout). There is a separate cocktail menu as well as a couple of wines too. Our friend asked if all the alcohol was vegan and the waitress said yes. Then we noticed the honey beer listed on the wall and inquired about it. Yes, it's actually honey. That made us question the food as well. We found out that one of the dips for the pretzel has honey in it. Upon further inquiry, we learned that some sandwich dressings like the maple BBQ also contain honey. Kind Kreme has always labeled which flavors contain honey, but these items on the menu were not labeled at all and since they claim their menu is vegan and we have frequented their location in Echo Park, we would not have found this out unless our friend had inquired. Also, when we asked about it, the waitress started to defend their use of honey, but we told her that we are all vegan and do not want any in our food. She was able to swap out one of the pretzel dips for us. Vegans beware.

Except for the honey issues, we had a nice dinner. The service was attentive and we ordered the butternut squash ravioli which was divine as well as the chipotle sandwich which was decent, but not great. Our friends enjoyed their meals as well, a pesto greens bowl and a different ravioli dish. We got the espresso cheesecake and the brownie cheesecake for dessert. Both were tasty, but the espresso one was a step above.

Pros: nice large space, extensive menu, beer and cocktails
Cons: uses undisclosed honey
JaniceStanger
JaniceStanger

Love this restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

I tried Sage for the first time with my daughter and her friend. I got the pierogis, which is one of the most outstanding meals I ever had. The texture of the pierogis was so firm and satisfying, the filling and sauce were delicious, and the bed of kale healthy and tasty. My daughter and her friend loved the pizza they shared. The service was excellent and food came promptly after being ordered. I will definitely be going back. I want to try everything on the menu, pretty much, but it will be hard not to keep reordering the pierogis. What a dilemma!

Pros: extensive menu, good service, great food
Cons: parking lot can be crowded
Chia
Chia

Large space, good food

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

I saw on happycow that this place had just opened up (this month!) and had to come by to try it with my girlfriend. Was just here, and here's my Safe Vegan Bistro review + KindKreme review.

First, the savory part. The menu is very extensive with lots of classic modern vegan cuisine - bowls with either quinoa or rice with veggies and different dressings, vegan cheese pizzas, sandwiches, tostada and tacos, and some interesting appetizers.

My friend and I got a few things to try. The breaded eggplant pizza looked and tasted good & savory though the crust was burnt ($12-13). The jackfruit street tacos came with side of rice and beans; that was all right though jackfruit has a sour taste so I'll definitely get a different taco next time ($11). The fresh hot pretzel was heavenly; it came with 2 savory dips and 1 sweet one ($10).

You could also get fresh pressed vegetable juices as well large range of smoothie choices ($6-9).

The desserts are laid out in glass cases at the front by the entrance. There are cakes and cookies as well a large range of raw ice cream, some vegan some with honey. Honey is the only thing that's not vegan inside this restaurant.

The space is huge for a vegan restaurant. Simple, contemporary Southern California vibe. Gets noisy inside but you could opt to dine outside. Overall a good place get vegan food.

Pros: vegan soft serve, tasty food
Cons: desserts more pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Sage Organic Vegan Bistro and KindKreme: