Vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring South Indian cuisine. Vegan menu available upon request. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine
157 King Street, Hammersmith
West London, England W6 9JT
020-8741-8563

Open Mon-Fri 12-3pm, 5:30-10:45pm Sat 12-11:30pm, Sun 12-10:45pm.

First Review by aclasse
Jasminevegan
Jasminevegan

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

This place is 100% veggie with a separate vegan menu.

Prices are reasonable considering it is located in London.

Food is fantastic, would recommend to anyone.

Pros: Lovely food, Reasonable price, Friendly staff
Chrono
Chrono

Good vegetarian and vegan curries

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

All veg restaurant,with a delicious and extensive vegan menu. Have eaten here twice, a great masala dosa and a variety of curries. Lovely

Steffi Giraffe
Steffi Giraffe

Not impressed :(

2 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

I was excited to be going to an Indian restaurant that was actually fully vegetarian for a change, but my excitement soon waned when I saw the menu. It disappeared completely when I finally ate my meal.

It seemed like pretty much every dish (at least the vegan ones) were based around the same thing - a wheat, rice or corn item, some potato if you wanted it and the same sambar and chutney. A lot of carbs and not much flavour.

Usually the dishes are the same across Indian restaurants and I ordered puri with chickpeas, expecting the same delicious feast I was used to. It turned out to be rock hard flavourless hollow balls made of some kind of flour and a few chickpeas floating in a COLD clear liquid. It was inedible and if someone else hadn't said they would pay for the whole meal regardless I would have asked if I could not have to pay for that.

I am not someone who likes to say negative things about places (I came on here to write positive reviews) but I was so disappointed in this place I felt I should be honest. I have never had a problem getting vegan food in a regular Indian restaurant (and indeed they even have more choice for vegans than Sagar!) and have had far, far better meals in ones that also serve meat, sad as it is to admit that.

Cons: Only one (basic) vegan dessert, Unimaginative, samey, boring food, Less choice for vegans than usual!

inkiuk
inkiuk

Good variety and delicious

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

We went to this restaurant on Friday as in the area and fancied Indian food. Lots of choice we had the mysore masala dosa and a thali plus starters! The dosa is so light but filling we couldnt finish all the dishes. Want to return to try the Indian style pizza!

mannschaftpag
mannschaftpag

Fantastic Dosa

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2012

Spent a fair amount of time across India and got the best Masala Dosa here that I've had outside of Kerala.

Love this place, just wish it was in my part of town.

shirley1
shirley1

A gem

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2011

We found this restaurant by asking people in the street where we could find veg food and they directed us to Sagar.
They are a vegetarian restuarant but they have a vegan menu which was very extensive.
I started with the dahl soup which was a delight, we then shared a masala dosa and a cauliflower and potato curry which had loverly flavors.
I would vist Sagar again whhen I am in London.
I live in Canada

Pros: good food, not greasy, good helpings
Dharam
Dharam

good value

3 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

This was a good surprise, we had dinner and its have a great service and the food are good. the dishes are ok, not big but the value its ok.

Pros: location, all vegetarian
Cons: size of the dishes
amsy
amsy

good stuff

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

Better than the usual indian restaurants that only have greasy spicy vegetables on the menu. Sagar (which is a vegetarian restaurant) has more to offer and has a vegan menu as well as vegetarian.

Pros: good food, speedy service, serves alcohol too
Cons: no vegan desert
francescabox
francescabox

Great Authentic Food

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

I went there 4 times last week, with husband and same friends (not vegan).They've a Great Vegan Menù. The staff is very helpful and they have a really Great South Indian Vegetarian food. The Paper Masala Dosa was relly amazing! I love their Utthapams for lunch and my husbsnd (vegetarian not vegan)loves the Great and very cheap Lunch Special (£ 5.75). I definitly raccomend it. Lovely place with great food.

anne
anne

Good Food

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

I met with 2 friends and had a great meal. They're not vegan nut had the veggie menu whilst I used the vegan menu. Good choice of starters and mains although didn't have a pudding as too full and they didn't look like they had too many vegan ones. £50 for 3 which included a bottle of wine - good value. Not sure what previous reviewer meant about 'dodgy area at night' - near 2 tubes and well lit, have never had a problem.

Pros: vegan menu, price, taste
comida
comida

Excellent Indian food!

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2009

A really lovely place, and if my waistline would allow it, I would come here everyday! The vegan thali is HUGE, so I usually order a la carte. I haven't had anything I disliked yet. The potato bondas, samosas, bhajia are all amazing. The staff are really sweet too.

Pros: Vegan menu, friendly staff, wonderful food
Cons: slightly dodgy area
Lucylu
Lucylu

Even my carnivorous brother liked it!

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2009

This is a great little Indian restaurant for vegans who adore the cuisine. My brother and I shared lots of dishes which is a really great idea. It's good value for money. You need to ask specifically for the vegan menu. The staff were really jolly too which always makes for a pleasant meal. But of a dodgy area at night though, but I'd make the trip again.

Pros: extensive menu, friendly staff
Guest
Guest

Good Food

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2008

After a friends recommendation i visited this restaurant to check it out. On being seated we were given our menus. My friend is a veggie and i vegan so i called the waiter and asked what dishes were suitable for a vegan diet. On this the waiter produced a vegan menu which only had the dishes suitable for a vegan. So quick tip, always ask for the vegan menu on being seated, if required.
For starters we had Fried idly and some vadu in a massala sauce with a bhel puri. These were great and quite filling. Four our mains my friend had a vegetarian Thali and i had the vegan one which were different small dishes such as Chickpea curry, salad, potato Curry, rice, and other dishes/sauces. These were both served with a bread, the veggie one a roti and my one with 2 large puri. We struggled to finish these and therefore no room to eat a desert. Well worth a visit and the cost was £44 which included 2 very large bottles of beer.

Pros: Fresh Food, Good vegan choice, Great staff
aclasse
aclasse

Ask for the vegan menu

4 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2007

...if you're that way inclined - I didn't realise they had one until after ordering, but then it appeared. Think it may be a copy of the ordinary one with stuff crossed out, but anyway it might avoid guesswork.

I'd call this a very pleasant South Indian place, attractively priced for an informal meal. It can get busy so booking is advisable.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sagar: