London vegetarian restaurant specializing in South Indian cuisine. Vegan menu available upon request. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine
17A Percy Street (Tottenham Court Road, Tube: Goodge Street)
London, England W1T 1DU
020-7631-3319

Open Mon-Fri 12-3pm, 5:30-10:45pm Sat 12-11:30pm, Sun 12-10:45pm.

First Review by Jemima

Disappointing

2 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Based on the good reviews, I went to Sagar for lunch. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day, but the food was very tasteless. The starter was overwhelmed by raw onion and was dry. My masala dosa had a soggy and bland potato filling although the dosa itself was fresh.
All in all, very disappointing.

Pros: Good choice of menu, Central location
Cons: Bland food

Lunch Box

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

Sagar has the best lunch box take away for £3.50, and you get a curry, dal, rice, roti, and a little salad or raita depending. Vegan or vegetarian.

I always ask for the Channa Masala in the lunch box.

They know me by now! Favourite lunch.

Pros: Great food, Cheap Lunch box take away, Friendly service
Cons: None!

Very satisfying and tasty South Indian food

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

I always enjoy eating at Indian restaurants but this one was especially nice. They have a vegan specific menu which makes choosing what to eat easy and there was lots of choice too. I settled for some Idli, a basic salad, and an Utthapam. I've never had an Utthapam before but found it very tasty but have no reference comparison. I was also eating alone and I felt very relaxed and comfortable there. Staff were really friendly towards me too with time between meals about right. I was there early evening on a Wednesday and it seemed very popular.

Pros: Vegan specific menu, Welcoming and relaxed, Good food

Delicious!

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

Ask for the vegan menu if you're vegan; most important! Went twice while in London, absolutely spectacular. Fresh squeezed juice at one location was delightful. Samosa's are fantastic, as are the sauces.. and the Masala Dosa are excellent.

Great for vegans!

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2013

I've been here twice now and been very impressed, they have a vegan menu with loads of choice! The staff were friendly and helpful and didn't mind us playing a card game while we waited for a latecomer! I have to say the portions are not huge, which was a good thing really as I couldn't have taken any home. The prices are very reasonable, so you can order quite a few things. I would definitely suggest getting a side and starter. I had the dal and it was lovely. Their pickle tray is a bit different to other places I've been, very sweet and quite mild, but very nice for a change. They also label their vegan wines which was very helpful!

Pros: cheap, vegan friendly
Cons: small portions

delicious

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

I arrived quite late so the place was not so full any more. The service was friendly and efficient. I ordered the thali, which was a great choice as you get to sample several dishes. They were all really delicious. This is definitely one of the better Indian restaurants I have been to.

Great South Indian food (not only) for vegans

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2012

A great South Indian veggie place with an extended vegan menu card. Even being a vegan I found it very difficult to choose: various sorts of lentil pizza with sambar (= a vegetable stew) + coconut chutney, masalas, filled dosas (= lentil pancakes), various rice specialties... you name it. In the end I decided to go for a Thali upon the recommendation of the friendly waiter who answered all my questions about the food (and I did have a lot of them). The Thali was extremely delicious. When I get back to London I will definitely go there again, and I highly recommend it to everybody who likes South Indian food or just wants to try it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly service, great variety

Good south indian vegan food with decent prices

3 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2011

We ate some curry and lentil pizza from the separate vegan menu. The dishes were pretty good, not anything really special but good decent priced indian food. The staff was friendly but we would have been more comfortable with less inqueries all the time.

Pros: Vegan menu, Price, Location
Cons: Too eager service, Taste not special

Great

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

Loved this restaurant, It was quiet on the Friday night we went. The food was really nice, service outstanding and the atmosphere was good.

Pros: Great Value, Service great, lovely food

Disappointing

2 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2009

I tried this place for the first time a few weeks ago. I was pleased that there was a vegan menu, but annoyed that their lunch special was not available for vegans. Instead I went for a dosa, and it was without a doubt the worst dosa I have ever had (and I've had a fair few). The pancake was fine but the filling was horrible - soggy potato and lots of carrot. [edited by staff] Makes me shudder thinking about it now. I didn't get a starter but had a taster of my co-diner's starter (she had the much more generous lunch deal as she was not a vegan). It consisted of a rather dry patty and two sauces, one of which wasn't vegan so I didn't try it, the other of which was foul with a horrid lemon taste that didn't complement the patty at all.
My co-diner, who was French and not vegetarian, thought the food was tasty and good value. Hence I will give this place two stars. But I won't eat there again. [edited by staff- see ToS]

Pros: Good value lunch menu for non-vegans, Vegan menu, My co-diner liked it
Cons: Lousy food, Lunch deal isn't vegan, Better restaurants in neighbourhood

Yummy! Go, go, go!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

This is a great vegan/vegetarian restaurant if you like Southern Indian quisine. It's a really delightful place. Fasdidiously clean and very friendly. I was such a pig I went twice in one week.

It's reasonably priced and, more importantly, extremely good food. The staff are lovely and can remember your order without writing things down (I was secretly impressed!). There are a couple of outside tables which is lovely when it's warm out.

If you're vegan (like me) ask for the vegan menu as we have out own one. They make sure if you order things like Papadams, that you know which of the dips are vegan, without you even having to ask.

Enjoy. It's well worth the trip.

Pros: Yummy food, Great staff, Great pricing

spicy delight

3 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2008

i love going into restaurants and not having o explain my veganism. even better when i am handed a vegan menu as was the case in Sagar. I enetered as the sole patron at 6 pm but it soon filled up and waa full when my grub was ompleted.
beautiful lentil doughnuts and pancakes. i wished i han't of gone to red veg for a burger just an hour previously but i was on holiday after all.
recommended

Pros: great menu, friendly staff

excellent thali

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

really nice dosa and good value dinner time thali, great service would go again if lived in london.

Pros: good value, quality authentic food, friendly staff

Decent Place

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2008

Walkable distance from Tottenham Court Rd tube.
Blonde wood and other decor light coloured. Indian music plays in the background except for when the track veers on to Western muzak, different to Cafe del Mar or Air etc. Seven thirty to nine are the busiest times at night I was informed. Five to six it is very quiet and suitable for singles as was the case when I visited.

The menu contains South Indian food. I had vadas for starter, bhaji curry and vegetable pilau for main and mango lassi. The vada ware perfectly crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, perhaps because they were quite big with a very small hole in the middle. The curry was very good although the smashed vegetables contained in it consisted mostly of potatoes. I would reccommend anyone on a diet to order something different to what I did. Ghee was liberally present. The menu did note that it was curry with ghee. The lassi was good. Overall good cuisine.

Service is very friendly. There was only one other patron when I visited, from Columbia visiting London, who often passes through India on the way to Poland for business...When she left it was time for my interview.

Good value.

Pros: good cuisine, good value, peaceful place w v friendly staff
Cons: if staff bored you may have to entertain, veers to type of Western muzak sometimes

Dear Owner and Manager of Sagar - West End: