Sagar - Covent Garden

This small vegetarian South Indian restaurant offers a vegan menu. Serves nut-free, wheat-free and onion & garlic-free dishes. Try the early dining offer of around £6-7 for papadam and pickle, raitha, 2 curries, rice, bread and dessert. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine

vegan_for_life
vegan_for_life

Good food

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2015

I have been here a few times with vegans and omnivores. All have enjoyed their meals.

There is a separate vegan menu, which makes it really easy. And staff get it i.e. they're very clear about what is and isn't vegan and why.

The food is good, Indian food. The platter with small bits of lots of different things is particularly good. The lemondade is very nice. I've never tried the desserts, so can't comment on them. I would really like them to make a vegan peshawari naan though, I do miss them since I became vegan.

The food is served very quickly. Staff certainly aren't rude, but they're not particularly friendly either.

Pros: Vegan options, Good food, Quick
Cons: Small-ish, Staff not particularly friendly
konlish
konlish

Food was nice

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2015

Nice romantic setting. Good food. Chef understands what is Vegan.

Pros: Vegan options, Good Food, Nice portions
Cons: Non-Vegan options
sglcklch
sglcklch

Good food, prompt but cold service

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2015

My partner and I came here for lunch. The place was very busy and the only table left was the one right behind the front door. No biggie. Staff was quick to take our orders and deliver them to the table despite their impersonal attitude. They all seemed a bit surly for some reason. However, as a seasoned Indian restaurant goer, I long ago came to realize that this was just the way it was and stopped making much of it. Food was pretty decent, prices reasonable. One star taken for the service.

Pros: good food
Cons: unfriendly staff

Hw123
Hw123

The food was really good and reasonably priced.

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2014

I actually found this restaurant through yelp at first while hanging out in Covent Garden. A decently-sized Indian restaurant. I ordered the Aloo Ghobi and I asked to do it less spicy, which they accommodated. The food was really good and reasonably priced.

Really important!: This place is vegetarian - not all vegan! Make sure to ask whether items are vegan before ordering if you are vegan. I didn't realize this until this morning when I looked on the website. Yikes!!

Pros: Good food, Inexpensive , Good location
Littlething
Littlething

Nothing special, slow service

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2014

I came here with my boyfriend during our one-week trip to London. We thought the food was good, but nothing special. We do frequently visit Indian restaurants at home (Gothenburg, Sweden) but we found the menu at Sagar a bit confusing. They did have a vegan menu which was a plus, however we didn't understand that you had to order the rice on the side, for example. The staff wasn't very helpful in explaining how to order either.

The staff wasn't very welcoming or service-minded. The food came out slowly, even though there were only 5 tables to be served. One table even left after not having received their order after 40 minutes.

There was nothing wrong with the food, but I think we would have had a better experience if the staff was a bit more service-minded and helpful with the ordering. I might be willing to give it another chance and order the thali, so I can try a "proper" dish without having to try to compose it myself.

Pros: Well prepared food, vegan menu , lot's of choices
Cons: Slow service, unwelcoming staff
Anyaaa
Anyaaa

Sagar

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

Everything was delicious. The portions looked a bit small but in the end we could barely finish the whole plate. Staff was very friendly and helpful and also the service was really fast.

Pros: Friendly staff, fast service, Excellent food, Good price
Pamina
Pamina

Nice visit!

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

Sagar has a separate vegan menu available, which makes visiting this restaurant as a vegan totally comfortable and easy. Service was very friendly and I also liked the light, wooden interior.
I chose the Rava Masala Dhosa which was a large meal and very nice, although for my taste it could have been more spicy!
I paid about £6 for my dhosa - I think that's a very good price considering the location.
I will definitely visit here again when I go back to London!

Pros: Good location, Friendly service, Separate vegan menu
Cons: Could be more spicy
Miggi
Miggi

Vegan Menu, Thali and Dosa

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

Ask for the vegan menu. Fab to have a whole Thali option without asking for things to be left out. Tried some starters we had never heard of which came with lovely sauces. Dosa was great too. Everything had good flavour though we would have liked some spicy options as well. Decor and atmosphere is good, laid back but modern, nice mix of clientelle.

Pros: vegan menu, thali option
Cons: spicy options would be nice too.
wyrd
wyrd

A pleasant evening

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

Tonight I had dinner at this small and quiet restaurant close to Covent Garden. The staff was extremely friendly, and I paid around 15 pounds for a starter (two big samosas), a main dish (a kind of chapatti with potatoes and peas with a couple of different sauces), and a (mango) lassi.
The service was quick, the food was good and tasty, the toilets were clean... I have nothing negative to say about this restaurant! :--)
Updated from previous review on Friday April 26, 2013

Pros: Good & good-value food, Quick and friendly service, Central location
MelissaMouse
MelissaMouse

Very Tasty

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

An intimate and relaxed restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable staff. I went on my own as I am away for work, but was made to feel welcome and did not feel uncomfortable at all.

The food was absolutely delicious and good value for money. I had the chana masala, rice and papadams.

The vegan menu on offer boasted a exciting range of new foods including pancakes, pizza as well as some interesting curries. I could not decide so was offered recommendations by one of the waiters.

Pros: Delicious , Friendly, Affordable
pefff
pefff

Cheap and delicious food!

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

I visited Sagar with a group of 8 friends for my birthday. It was very easy to book on the phone. Not all of my friends are vegetarian or vegan so I was slightly apprehensive about bringing them to a fully veggie restaurant. Everyone enjoyed their food very much!

Sagar have a separate vegan menu so be sure to ask for it!
I had the samosas to start which were enormous (there were 2) then the sambar with boiled rice and the mango sorbet to finish. Lots of my friends had dosas which were ENORMOUS. I was very pleased with my food!

The prices are very reasonable, my food came to around £16 with a drink, extremely good value for the centre of London. Service was a little slow at first but they were very attentive, I can understand having a large group of people to cater to is intimidating, especially when the restaurant was quite full.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Separate Vegan menu
Cons: Slowish service , Only one Vegan dessert
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Good food, excellent value.

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

Indian food is rarely one of my first choices when it comes to eating out, however Sagar is very much an exception. Excellent staff, a vegan and gluten free menu available on request and wines labeled as veggie or vegan. The food I had was lovely and the price very reasonable for anywhere but amazing for central London. Very much looking forward to going back.

Pros: Excellent Staff, Good Food, Great Value
Cons: None spring to mind
wildfang
wildfang

Tasty Indian food at affordable prices

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2013

For this location Sagar offers very tasty food at quite affordable prices. We didn't know there was a special lunch menu at 5,95€ (!) and thus ordered something from the menu which cost more but was also delicious and better than what you get at many omnivorous Indian places. The staff were also very friendly even though we were there at lunch time rush hour and had a toddler with us.

Pros: Delicious food, Freshly squeezed orange juice, Friendly staff
Cons: vegan food not clearly marked
Fer
Fer

Indian close to theatre zone

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

An indian restaurant with two floors. Good and abundant food. Affordable price. Quiet ambience. Good service.

Pros: Affordable
Cons: Only indian food
lachat
lachat

Great food, Great service

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

South indian vegetarian restaurant next to covent garden. They had an all-vegan menu on request. Food was very tasty and medium priced. Service very good and welcoming, I tried to order dishes which didn't match well together and the waiter told me straight away even though what he proposed cost less. My omnivorous friends loved the food as well !

Pros: Vegan menu, great food, great service
castagnetta
castagnetta

YUM!

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2012

My husband and I were really hungry and stumbled upon Sagar Covent Garden, by pure chance, with a little help of our Happy Cow phone app. We were given the Vegan menu, which really spoilt us for choice. Interiors are very tidy, waiters very attentive and help you decide what to eat. Not realising that we would be served pappadoms to start with, we ordered a starter of Potato Bonda followed by two vegan Thalis, served with rice and pooris. For drinks we had fresh lemonade. It was all too much but we finished it anyway as everything was delicious, very tasty, lots of different spices and flavours. It was certainly one of the best meals we've had out in London, for a long time! Also it was encouranging to see lots of Asian families, which is usually a good sign. We ate a lot, drank a lot, but were fully satisfied and paid about £40.00 which for this part of the world isn't bad at all. Will be back asap with friends too!

Pros: Very Nice Vegan menu all yummy!, Attentive service, Not too expensive
Cons: There isn't a Sagar closer to us
ELyzab
ELyzab

Lovely food in a handy location

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2012

The service was friendly, the waiter brought me out the special vegan menu and told me when I had order too much food!
The food was lovely although the portions were too large for me so I did have to leave some. The vegan thali was lovely, but definitely a man sized portion!
The cost was reasonable, especially she y ou consider the location.
I will return!

Pros: Service, Price, Taste
s_k_
s_k_

Quality without fuss

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

This is a quality veg Indian place. The food is tasty (we had some
bhel puri, a masala dosa, and the mixed uthappam). It's simple and
plainly done. It's not too expensive. The food is substantial
without being excessive.

One star off because I would have liked to see more VSinteresting thali
options.

After several medicore experiences at well-known Drummond Street
restaurants, I have no intent of returning there. Places like Sagar
are a huge step up from them.

Pros: good basic food, filling, not too expensive
rjmehra
rjmehra

Vegan Indian items are hard to find elsewhere!

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

It's nice to have a Vegan thali.
My gripe though is that the vegan thali is not covered by the theatre deal, so the vegan option ends up as ~£15 instead of ~£6 for the veggie one. Considering you get almost exactly the same, with some subtractions, some additions, it feels a bit unfair.

Pros: Quite good quality Indian food, Good location, Not expensive
Cons: Veggie/Vegan disparity
Riot Vegan
Riot Vegan

very good

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

Those buddies have a special vegan menù full of nice stuff. We ordered loads of stuff and the waiter told us friendly to stop as it was too much lo eat for a couple which was something professional we really appreciate. Food was delicious indeed. Nice place very near Covent Garden!

Pros: very friendly staff, in the center, unexpensive
IanEiloart
IanEiloart

Great veggie option in the heart of Covent Garden

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2011

Really good south Indian vegetarian food, and great value for money. Ask for the vegan menu, if appropriate. They even know which of their wines are vegan!

Dear Owner and Manager of Sagar - Covent Garden: