CLOSED: Saf Akatlar

Organic restaurant located inside a large sport complex. AUG 2013 REPORTED maybe closed/shut, please someone and find out, then let happycow know. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Turkish, Beer/Wine, Juice bar, Take-out
Cumhuriyet Cad. 4/8, Akatlar, Besiktas Istanbul (Club Sporium)
Istanbul, Turkey TR 34626
+90-212-2827946

Open daily 8am-1am.

First Review by Laudi
twinkle
twinkle

Raw food in Istanbul!!!

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2012

I love raw food but find preparing it at home too labor intensive, so it is always a treat to go to Saf. The restaurant space is shared with another restaurant (not raw) and its not a very busy place. The waiters are bored and it is not exactly atmospheric to eat at a sports center... not to mention the location is a pain to get to. But for me it is always a pleasure. The food is very well prepared. Although the portions are not so large, the food itself is nourishing and satisfying. The last time I was there, I got the tasting plate. It didn't look like a lot of food, but the variety was good and I liked all of the dishes. My friend wasn't interested in eating raw, so it worked out well for us that the restaurant is shared.
If you are willing to go out of the way for a well-prepared raw meal, then its worth it :)

Pros: Tasty!, Well prepared, Hard to find raw in Istanbul
Cons: Out of the way, In a sports complex
xkillerx
xkillerx

Here we go again

2 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2012

I reviewed this place once already but the text dissapeared? oh nevermind. I don't mind trashing it once again.

This place is supposedly the sister-act of the world famous SAF London. Well, maybe both TWO pages of the menu of it. The rest is not vegan to say the least. They are not a stand alone SAF, they seem to be working together with some other completely non-Saf-like restaurant. or snack bar.

The food is very well decorated and arranged, and it's of high quality. Sadly the portions are minimal and the prices are jacked up.

I guess this is a place for the people who come out of the posh gym it belongs to for a quick healthy snack. You know, bio, organic, rawfood, fair trade, and other fancy labels. Nevermind I would actually like to E A T.

Dont waste your time and money on this one.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 30, 2012

Pros: arrangement, high quality food
Cons: tiny rations, high prices, makes a joke out of SAF
magpiefaerie
magpiefaerie

Wow!

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

A friend and I trecked out to the middle of nowhere where this posh gym and restaurant are located. It was entirely worth it. Not only were we served food that I haven't the faintest idea how to make, the top quality ingredients and abundance of cashews (I love cashews!) in the dishes we chose made up for the high (for Turkey) prices. I couldn't even afford to eat in a place like this back in England. Many of the meals are raw, or at least cooked below 48 degrees and the food is basically gourmet, but with big enough sizes to fill us up completely. They make their own cashew humous and cashew cheese - and they have vegan ice-cream and chocolate torte - heaven!

Pros: Amazing food, Completely vegan, Good service
Cons: Expensive, Far away from the centre of town, No public transport
Laudi
Laudi

Great Food

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2010

In my opinion, this restaurants offers the best vegan food, I've eaten in a restaurant EVER. Getting there is kind of an adventure (take a cab :), costs almost nothing and saves you some time climbing hills after a relatively long ride in the subway), but if you reach the place, you will be pleased with the food offer (ask for the menue in English :)), and the quality of the food. Try the vegetable sport drinks, the risotto and the burger. Unfortunately the staff was a bit unmotivated, otherwise I would have stayed longer and spent even more money - the prizes are a bit high but the delicious food is worth every TL.

Pros: Excellent and Healthy Food, Great Choice of Food, Unique drinks
Cons: Staff is a bit unmotivated, Prize are a bit high, Location is not easy to reach

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Saf Akatlar: