Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op

Cooperative market providing selections in deli food, fresh produce, vitamins, supplements, bulk staples, chilled and frozen food, personal care products, natural products, and more. more-less
1900 Alhambra Blvd (S St)
Sacramento, California 95816
916-455-2667

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by kilat1
warmstorage
warmstorage

A stable constant, but...

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

I've been going to the SNFC since the late 80s. I used to walk by on a nearly daily basis, as I attended Sacramento High School (before Kevin Johnson bought the second oldest high school west of the Mississippi River for self aggrandizing political propaganda.) But I digress.

SNFC is a solid, old-school style food co-op. They have a legitimate option for being a co-op *owner*: the optional owner worker program. So you can pay for a membership, never work, and treat it like Safeway, or you can actually work to pay for your membership. (Unlike an almost totally fake co-op like REI, where you're just paying for a membership like Sam's Club or Costco.)

Anyway, the store. It has evolved a lot over the years, and is now a reasonably solid small-ish supermarket with a good selection of natural, organic, and harder to find vegan and non-traditional grocery options.

Is it kind of expensive? Sure. You're paying for more ethically sourced products, at a co-op, with a staff union -- and that's not free. But on any given day, an actually ripe, organic tomato might not be that much more than at Raley's or Safeway.

Great bulk section.

Unfortunately, I don't get there as much as I'd like: it's not super close, and I have a Sprouts closer that has a lot of vegan products (and super cheap produce, albeit kind of B grade.) But it's one of those places I know I can get certain ingredients and products at (like the large tub of Earth Balance) without just having to hope that Raley's might be carrying it.

Parking is atrocious, and always has been, to an almost comical extent. This is a place you want to ride, walk, or take light rail to.

SNFC is well worth supporting, and it'll be interesting to see their new location (as I understand it, being built now.)

Pros: great bulk options, good product selection, righteous
Cons: slightly expensive
emmpower
emmpower

Hit and miss

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

Half of my experiences at the Co-op suck.

Most of the time the deli employees treat me like I'm either A) a magician who specializes in invisibility without knowing it or B)a real painful zit on their behind and they can't wait until I leave. I've seriously experienced employees looking at me from the hall behind the deli (and no one out at the cases to help the customers) then meander out into the deli area and take their sweetest of time until they ask me if I want anything. It was like I was in the Twilight Zone, it was nuts. I swear I've never mooned these people, insulted their singing, or smelled really bad in their presence so I just don't get it.

Stuff here can be ridiculously expensive. People always say "packaged food is more expensive than buying the ingredients and tossing it together yourself" which, yes, is true about most things but I am pretty certain that I was charged nearly $3. For a tomato. In the summer. Don't even get me started on trying to buy a bell pepper in this place. You'd have to win the lottery if you planned on making stuffed peppers for dinner for the family if the Co-op was the only place you could go.

What do I like? Some of the cashiers make me so happy that I go through their lines on purpose. They're that nice! Apparently I'm not so nice because I can't remember their names right now, haha.

Buying in bulk here helps a lot. They sell bulk apple cider vinegar and Dr. Bronners soap which are bulk section treats. They have a great variety of herbs and spices for teas, medicine, and tastiness.

They sell my Rudi's spelt bread here for a fair price.

VeganporVida
VeganporVida

could be better...

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

Love the coop but absolutely despise their lack of customer service, when a staff member doesn't know what a GMO is, there is a MAJOR problem! Plus the deli selection hasn't changed much since the 80's.

Pros: Organic, Local, Fresh
Cons: BAD customer service, Too expensive, not enough variety
  • a woods a woods

i have yet to experience the co op yet if they don't know what GMO means ...that's scary!

Great Store

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2011

Best option for vegetarian and vegan grocery items. Huge selection of anything you could want, condiments, mock meats, tofu products, breads, boxes, supplements, etc. Stuff you can't find anywhere else.
It is always packed, so I don't bring my kid or it is too difficult to maneuver the cart and the child.
Deli was okay, sandwich was not worth the price, Subway is more satisfying. Salads looked good, will try those next time.
Updated from previous review on Friday December 03, 2010

Pros: Great Selection
Cons: Busy, Disappointing Sandwiches
PeppermintStarlight
PeppermintStarlight

Awesome!

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2011

This is one of my favorite stores ever. They carry loads of vegan and raw grocery items. They always have several vegan meal options in the deli (along with desserts like vegan cupcakes), so it's a great place to stop for lunch or dinner. In my experience, the food has always been delicious. They have a nice indoor dining area near the front of the store, a water tap where you can fill up your canteen or a glass, and pleasantly clean bathrooms, making it a great place to refresh if you've been out and about on a hot (or cold) Sacramento day.

Pros: Great variety, Produce is 100% organically grown, Supports local farms
Cons: A bit pricey, Not exclusively veg*n

SNFC great store

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2011

Been going to this store on/off for the past 18 years. Beautiful selection of various veggies.

Pros: Organic Veggies, Specialty items, Bulk
Cons: Prefer vegan store, Overpriced
jive
jive

A Store To Remember

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2010

I have been to this store many times. The fruits are always fresh and the vegetables are always ripe and ready to go. This store is not exclusively veg*n, but it is exclusiveley the best soures of vegan and vegetarian products that i have ever found in the Scaramento area. The staff are always ready to help a customer and answer questions regarding ingredients and alternatives.

I personally like this stores location, it is located only one block south of the 29th street lightrail station, and any number busses that also stop at that station. No matter where I am, I'm never too far from my favorite store.

Sacramento Natural Foods is my favorte store because they have many veg*n products that I cannot find elsewhere, including: 6 kinds of vegetarian gravey, more than 3 kinds of vegetable pot pies, twice as many veggie-spanish dishes as any other store i have ever seen, and more kinds of veggie soups and dinners, and suppliments, and hygiene products than i could ever count. In short, this is simply the best store out there and i would give it the highest rating possible.

Pros: great selection, wonderful location, helpful staff
Cons: sometimes expensive, always busy, small parking lot
kilat1
kilat1

Great deli!

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2007

Not many veg options in the deli, but the ones they have are excellent. Lots of great prepared food as well

Pros: great sandwiches
Cons: few vegan/veg options

Dear Owner and Manager of Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op: