Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is lacto-vegetarian except for fish meat. Will accommodate vegans upon request. English spoken. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Middle Eastern, Israeli, Kosher, Non-veg
Via Luigi Carlo Farini 2a (Jewish quarter of town)
Florence, Italy

jesse
jesse

Food Is Clean

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

Ruth's is a decent break from the monotony of not being able to find much vegan food in Florence. Florence is one of the nicest cities in the world, but that doesn't extend to vegetarian food.

As previous posters have stated, the owners and workers could be a bit nicer. The prices are fairly expensive, but on par with the normal price-gouging that is definitely ubiquitous in Italian restaurants.

The food is clean. I had the falafel plate and some pumpkin soup. The soup was excellent and seemed to be made from fresh pumpkins. The falafels were well made - as far as falafels go (I kind of hate falafels to be honest, because they are protein poor) - and they came with pita and hummus and tahini. It was good for what it was.

Ruth's is next to the Florence Synagogue which is worth a visit, costs €6 for entry, and has a museum upstairs.

Pros: Clean food, Interesting location next to synagogue
Cons: Not cheap, Unfriendly owners / workers
Veganismo
Veganismo

No Good

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2010

I went to Ruth's, happy to find a kosher restaurant with vegan options. I ordered the falafel plate and hummus, and was completely nonplussed. The falafel and pita was fine, not great, and the hummus was just about the worst I've eaten anywhere. It was really watery, had no body to it, and lacked flavor. The owner was brusque and rude. I heard one customer ask him what on the menu he recommended, to which he replied "I will not decide for you, you are not a child."

On top of everything, at the end of the meal I took a 5 Euro bill up to the owner to ask for change (which I said clearly in English and Italian). He just took the bill, put it in his tip jar, said "thank you," and walked away. It was sort of a 'fake' misunderstanding, and rather a very obvious attempt to rip-off a tourist.
Updated from previous review on Friday November 05, 2010

Pros: Falafel was ok
Cons: Awful Hummus, Rude owner, rip-off
macrocpa
macrocpa

Vegetarian & Kosher

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2010

Ate here in a comfortable open space w/books and a lot of community postings. If you are vegan, be sure to point out that you do not want dairy w/your falafel, which came w/hummus, tahini, & pita. Good option for vegans and vegetarians

Pros: pleasant atmosphere

Hanna Louise
Hanna Louise

Good Mediterranean-type Food

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2010

Food didn't seem exceptional, but good, much of it vegan.

Pros: vegan options, good food
bookworm123
bookworm123

good safe option but staff could be pleasanter

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2010

I went here once when I was in Florence, and had a salad, with bread and hummus.
The food was great, although it annoyed me that when I asked for water, I was brought bottled water rather than offered tap water, especially as (later) I realised that other diners were asking for it.
My only issue was with the staff. My Italian is rubbish, but I was at least trying, unlike most of the other diners who just spoke English. Two separate members of staff corrected my Italian - not in a nice, friendly way, but in a schoolteacher way. It really put me off, and made me not want to return.

Pros: good healthy food, reasonable value
Cons: not offered tap water, rude staff, a bit out of the way
stephaniebain
stephaniebain

Great choice!

Posted on 03 / 07 / 2008

This little kosher vegetarian restaurant has a great choice of vegetarian (also serves fish) entrees such as couscous and falafel. A nice change from all the Italian food! Great service.

gua
gua

My birtday place

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2007

Every year for my birthday I drag friends & family to a vegetarian palce and this is definetily my first choice. Place is cozy and warm with few tables and very friendly attitude. Just talking to the man that runs the place is worth a visit. Menu doesn't offer a wide variety but dishes are very tasty and everything is kosher. the restaurant is located in the Jewish part of town so you will find some kosher markets also nearby. The restaurant is located right next to the synagogue (one of the most beautiful buildings in town!) at the ground floor of a building that houses Jewish students, they are often downstairs singing and playing traditional music.. amazing experience

Pros: cozy place, story telling staff
Cons: closed on saturdays, small tables
coco
coco

Great ambience

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2007

On our short visit to Florence, we ate here twice and loved it! Food was excellent and the staff very friendly.

Pros: Tasty food, Relaxed surroundings, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Ruths: