Rutherford Pancake House

Serves meat, veg options available. See website for the vegan menu choices: vegan pancakes, French toast, and a couple more. Casual, family friendly atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg
40 Park Ave
Rutherford, New Jersey 07070
201-340-4171

Open Mon-Sat 7am-3pm, Sun 7:30am-3pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by MikeyMike
shelville
shelville

Great Breakfast

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2014

Recently had the tofu scrabble, of which there are two to choose from, wonderfully filling. I also recommend the French Toast.

Great service!

Pros: Many choices, Reasonable prices
HannahP96
HannahP96

Absolutely Outstanding

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

We ate here twice in one weekend, once having breakfast dishes and once having lunch dishes. The vegan challah French toast is stellar--three huge, thick slices, just brilliant. We also tried the Popeye tofu scramble, which was delicious, as well as a side of vegan sausage (also yummy). For the lunch we had the supreme veggie burger (the kind of burger that's more like a veggie patty, not a soy burger) with sweet potato fries, and a seitan parmesan sandwich with fries. The french fries were well-done, browned and crunchy, EXACTLY how I prefer them, and I didn't even ask--I guess that's just how they do them. Perfect. Beverage-wise, they had lovely fresh-squeezed orange juice, and a genuine NY-style chocolate egg cream (essentially chocolate soymilk with seltzer, frothed up a bit). Everything was outstanding, the atmosphere was charming, and the staff was nice as could be.

Pros: Fantastic food, Small town charm, Fair prices
s144799
s144799

The best veg friendly diner I know

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

This diner has THE MOST veg options I have EVER seen in a diner. Veg pancakes, veg french toast, veg Challah French toast, veg waffles, 4 veg tofu scrambles, and lots of veg lunch options. Travel from Philadelphia suburbs there because I enjoy it so much!

Pros: Lots of veg lunch options, Friendly staff
LindaLeenig
LindaLeenig

Our favorite spot!

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

Since we live in Rutherford and I work right off Park Ave, this is a place that we frequent often. Our family is composed of 3 vegans and 3 meat eaters; that's what makes this place so easy for us; there is something for everyone! The food is always fresh and there are always specials to tempt you. Nice service and the management team is always great!

Pros: friendly people, good food , vegan and non vegan fare
Cons: busy on the weekends, parking can be an issue
Ethan
Ethan

The Best Vegan Diner Food, ANYWHERE!

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2012

I've been to The Rutherford Pancake House about 5 or 6 times now and it just keeps getting better. There is literally not a single vegan item that I've tried that wasn't amazing.

Their breakfast/brunch fare is to die for. Their Tofu Scrambles are wonderful a mild. Their pancakes are just what diner pancakes should be; Oversized and full of flavor. The owner, Spiro, actually MAKES HIS OWN VEGAN CHALLAH BREAD and then slices it to make his vegan challah French toast. I recommend the variety that is stuffed with "sweet cream" and topped with fresh strawberries and served with vegan butter. Their waffles are great too. And your coffee-- which is delicious-- can be served with soy or almond milk!

Their burgers and sliders are homemade- not from some pre-processed plant as suggested by a previous review. I've confirmed with Spiro that he makes these by hand, individually. Their Seitan Marsala is delicious, as it their vegan Moussakka.

If you're craving dessert, there's an insanely rich vegan chocolate lava cake. Spiro makes his own vegan Cheesecake; it's light, fluffy and tastes so much like the real thing, it's erie.

I've lived in New Jersey for nearly 4 years and it took me 3 1/2 to find this place. All I can say is, it's the best kept secret in the entire NYC metropolitan area. Folks from The City take the train out on weekends to come here, and there's good reason to; It's the best vegan diner food, anywhere.

But for the fact that it's not 100% vegan, I cannot give it the 5 happy Cow rating it really deserves.

Pros: Exceptional Food, Extensive vegan menu, Delightful service
Cons: NONE

Jett Setter
Jett Setter

Pancakes - not just for breakfast anymore

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2012

Nice restaurant having something for everyone.

The veggie burger I had was very good (seems like all veggie burgers in NJ are from the same manufacturer - they are all the same makeup - still good though).

Clean and comfortable inside. Has a dining bar in the back with seating for about 1/2 dozen. Tables and booths available. Welcoming atmosphere.

Price for food is average, not too spendy. Home style food. Great value for the money. You won't go away hungry.

Wait staff friendly and efficient.

Parking - not so good. Street side parking is metered and serves many other businesses in neighborhood. May be in for a little walk, but what can they do about that....

Pros: Value for your dollar, varied menu, home style food
Cons: Parking
BlackbirdVegan
BlackbirdVegan

Great Food, Lots of Vegan Options

4 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2011

The Rutherford Pancake House has a nice atmosphere and a lot of vegan brunch options. They have a variety of vegan tofu scrambles to choose from (I recommend the Vegan Roman). They also have vegan pancakes, and sometimes changing special flavors of vegan pancakes including red velvet, cranberry orange, and chocolate, among others. If you're looking for lunch options, they have vegan pizzas, vegan quesadillas and other vegan tex mex, a veggie burger, and some other choices. Everything I've gotten here has been really good! I've never been disappointed. Their fresh squeezed orange juice is also really good and if you order coffee, they do have soy milk if you ask.

Pros: many options, great food, good atmosphere
Cons: no evening hours
Amanda R
Amanda R

Among the best you'll find in NJ

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2011

This is a GREAT place to take your non-vegetarian family for breakfast or lunch. They have several tofu scrambles (the Vegan Popeye is great) and vegan pancakes and sausage for breakfast. They also have vegan burgers and a few sandwiches, and now they have vegan pizza and TexMex (nachos, quesadillas) with Daiya cheese. They'll put Daiya on anything if you ask for it. It's a great find since NJ is lacking in vegan options, especially in our diners.

The menu is a little hard to navigate on your first time, so just ask for the things I said.

Pros: Great food, esp for a nonveg place, Friendly/helpful staff, Good value
Cons: Not too many choices, Vegan menu not perfectly defined, Closes at 3 pm every day
traciebee
traciebee

I love the Rutherford Pancake House.

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

I love the Rutherford Pancake House.

If you're vegan and have non-vegan friends and family members (or vice versa), this is the place to go. They have amazing vegan and non-vegan options. The food is delicious, the portion sizes are large and the price is great. And the staff is always so friendly and accommodating.

If you're in the Rutherford area, definitely check this place out. The only downfall is that they're only open until 3pm, so make sure you get there early!

Pros: friendly staff, amazing food, great value
Cons: hours
NicoleF
NicoleF

Great for vegans and non vegans

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2010

My family has a hard time finding places to eat. Rutherford Pancake House makes it easier for us. The meat eaters in my family can have their meat and we can have out vegan dishes. We all agree that all the dishes we had there are fantastic. They have a lot of vegan options and some great vegan specials too. I just wish they were open more hours.

Pros: Quick service, helpful staff, good value
Cons: open more hours
onlyahuman
onlyahuman

A pleasant surprise!

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

Rutherford Pancake House is like the old fashioned feel of a pancake house you went to as a kid. The difference? A pretty good selection of vegan selections mixed in with the non-vegan items. The veggie sliders and tofu scramble were great and I can't wait to go and try more! This is the transitional future of vegan dining. I hope more restaurants pick up on the popularity of this place and adapt a vegan menu as well! I only wish they were open 24 hours! (or at least for dinner!)

Pros: vegan menu!
Cons: hours
MikeyMike
MikeyMike

Great Place!

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2010

Great vegan pancakes and scrambles. Get the Vegan Roman Scramble... AWESOME! Buy on the weekends though, but that's to be expected.

Pros: great food, Friendly staff, not expensive
Cons: long waits on the weekends

Dear Owner and Manager of Rutherford Pancake House: