Serves meat, veg options available. Mexican food, run by a chef from California. He understands and will cater to all dietary needs. Everything homemade on premises. Little place with atmosphere. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

serrarose
serrarose

Good Flavours

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2015

I ordered a vegan burritto. It wasnt on the menu but the waiter and staff in the kitchen were very accomodating and put it together for me. I absolutely LOVE mexican food and can make a amazing burrito myself when given the right ingredients so this is a tough review. The individual flavours of the food were spot on and delicious. But when you take a tradional chicken/steak burrito and remove the animal products to turn it vegan you're not eating a 'vegan' burrito, ur simply eating a vegan burrito. And this one was dry. Too much rice gave a dry texture and not enough beans or vegies to give more flavour or moisture. And no pico de gallo or guac. I think overall they did a ok job and i would come back but requrest little rice/more beans vegies to try to give it more moisture. And I agree with the previous review. Nothing on the menu says anything about veg/vegan. Would be nice if they offered it as a choice as its a turn off on a menu to not see that available in todays market. Unfortunetly Khao Lak leaves something to be desired for veg/vegan options.

Pros: Very Accomodating staff, They use black beans!
Cons: Menu does not offer veg/vegan main dishes
mikeybutt
mikeybutt

AMAZING FOOD BUT

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2014

REVISED BELOW. the chips n salsa and the burrito I had were exceptional. huge portions and full flavor. very close to perfect Mexican flavors mmmm. BUT. the only option that was vegan on the menu was the chips n salsa. I had to ask the chef personally if he would make me a vegan burrito instead of the chicken/steak as it was listed. he did it no problem and it was amazing and fast. I would have given 5 stars if the menu had simply listed something like "most of these dishes can be made vegan just ask" or even better if there was a vegan option printed :) so 5 stars for quality of food and 4 for not mentioning vegan on the menu :P since this is HappyCow and all. REVISION. I got the tostada salad (which comes with chicken sour cream and cheese) vegan style and it was bad. just bad. I had to knock the restaurant down a star to 3. the chef is the one that suggested I get the salad. it was bad. this was my second day going there so maybe he thought vegans love salads? Just another day being let down by the food here :) oh well.
Updated from previous review on Monday December 01, 2014

Pros: understanding chef
Cons: No vegan options listed

Dear Owner and Manager of Rusty Pelican: