Rupp's Vegetarisches Pub

Irish Pub serving vegetarian and vegan food. Previously named Rupp's Vegetarisches Cafe (April-October Sun closed). Price: Moderate more-less
Viennese

megs828
megs828

Cheap good food

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2014

We ate dinner at this pub while visiting Vienna. It definitely has a pub feel to it...small and dark. The menu was in German so we picked the first food that we recognized which were the veggie burgers. The burgers were big and good, without feeling too unhealthy. The price was very cheap. The waitress was nice enough.

Pros: Cheap food
Cons: far from city center
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Vegan weinerschnitzel!

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

We visited some non-vegetarian friends in Vienna recently and they had never heard of this place. We were all pleasantly surprised by the cozy and welcoming atmosphere upon entering. The beer was decent, but the food was fantastic! The tomato soup was just the thing on a cold night. And we were so happy to have weinerschnitzel in Austria (made with seitan)! Our friends enjoyed their goulash very much as well. There was a good variety of vegan dishes, clearly marked on the menu. The price was quite reasonable. They have a huge variety of whisky available, though we did not try any. All in all this was a perfect place for dinner and drinks!

Pros: vegan weinerschnitzel, great atmosphere, good value
Cons: limited beer variety
kennyp353
kennyp353

Hotel California - You'll Never Leave

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

725 whiskies, and all food vegetarian? This is my Hotel California. Tonight's new waitress was pretty but rude with no knowledge of whisky nor was she a vegetarian, but she'll be gone soon enough and this magical booze library will live on.

Pros: Whisky, Fast Food Veggie
Cons: Service

pocahontas
pocahontas

vegetarian-hard rock-pub ;)

3 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

comfy, chill-out zone, with books and games, friendly service
most dishes contain gluten!

Pros: vegetarian/vegan food, friendly service, heavy/fast food
Cons: gluten, heavy/fast food
HappyMadmax
HappyMadmax

super genial!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

Schmackhaft und freundlich mit großer Pickenbleibergefahr ;-)

Pros: great food, non smoking, whiskey selection
Cons: smoking area next door
Fiumara
Fiumara

Cool atmosphere!

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

Very good food, big portions. Cool service, cool atmosphere!!

Pros: big portions, nice atmosphere
piratechick
piratechick

yummy, yummy food

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

Went there with some friends for drinks, stayed for the food.
A friend ordered the Nougatpalatschinken, and they were amazing. I myself was totally smitten with the vegan cheese toast. That was seriously one of the best vegan cheeses I ever tasted.

Pros: lovely pub atmosphere, huge selection of whiskies, great food
Lucinda_Vienna
Lucinda_Vienna

Irish pub with vegan influences

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2012

This is one of my favourite vegan friendly places in Vienna.
Great vegan food , beer and pub atmosphere. Very relaxed place with friendly staff and locals. Can recommend the delicious Spezial Doppeldecker , Gulasch, Wienerschnitzel, Apfelstrudel and Nougat Palatschinken.

Actually iv just convinced myself to go there again tonight :-)

Pros: Mostly vegan, Relaxed atmosphere, Easy location
kfpixie
kfpixie

Open on a Sunday

3 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

I went here mostly because it was open on a Sunday. The decor was interesting but service was SLOW. Tonight there was only one person working the bar and the tables, so that's why. Don't know if it's always like that but be prepared just in case! The food was pretty good -- I liked their selection but it didn't knock my socks off, if you know what I mean. If I go back I'll probably try something else on the menu but otherwise, a decent meal, especially for a Sunday when almost ALL the other veg restaurants are closed.

Cons: slow, small
Veganismo
Veganismo

Great vegan eats

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2010

This was a great surprise! At Rupp's, my wife and I were met by a very nice barkeep, who showed us an English menu. They have tons of vegan options.

The bratwurst appetizer was great. The best vegan sausage I have had to date. And it came with some outrageous Germanic bread. Then we had some goulash, which was very delicious (caraway seed flavor). This also came with more wonderful bread. We ordered some local dark beers, which were great.

Sadly, we were too full to try the vegan nutella crepes (we have not forgiven ourselves for this). I can't wait to get back to Vienna to try them, and more, at Rupp's. Ambiance is cleaner, quieter, and more civilized than USA bars in general. Very nice!

Pros: Great food, Helpful, friendly staff, Nice environment
Cons: A little far from center of town
andrea
andrea

Totally Unique

5 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

We were brought here two years ago by our Viennese friends and still talked about that meal. We recently returned and the first thing we did was go to Rupp's. We had to sit at the bar since there was a huge whiskey tasting going on. This is a real Irish pub that happens to be vegan (mostly). Three of us got the Doppelburger (a double fried-seitan burger). So fantastic. I shared the burger and kraut goulash with my husband. It was really good. I'm the most sauerkraut-loving American I know; it must be the Austrian ancestry. We got the chocolate palascinta (?) and apple strudel too. It was so great to have vegan strudel.

We rudely ditched our friends the next night so we could eat there again (Kidding!). I got the veggie burger, which is truly the best veggie burger in the world. Prices, especially for the burgers (4.70) are great. Beer selection is great too. Funf oder sechs vom fass! (5 or 6 on tap)

Don't walk past it, see the green sign in the window --Vegetarisches Cafe. The people all seem to speak English too.

Pros: Food specialties, Prices, Beer
wildfang
wildfang

A unique place worth more than one visit

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2009

Rupp's is a lovely place worth a visit or two.
It's just such a good idea to put together an Irish pub with all its advantages (having a pint, listening to good music, enjoying the atmosphere) with vegetarian, mostly vegan, pub food.
I've been there many times and was always served friendly and had good food at a decent price. The Gemüselaibchen are one of my favourites but the Wiener Schnitzel for instance is just as good.
Don't miss the vegan Palatschinken for desert! (see picture)

Pros: atmosphere, vegan pub food, friendly staff
Powerbex
Powerbex

Irish Bar/veggie resto

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

Heard about this place from a friend. Only got there at 10.40pm and the waitress told us we were still welcome to order food. Atmosphere is like an old school pub, with antique radios and tvs along the sides and old upholstered benches. Small and cosy, with separate smoking room. Place was packed and waitress was alone, but still managed to serve us and be friendly. Menu had a great selection, with many vegan options. Veggie Burgers were Massive, and apple strudel with vanilla sauce very generous. Delicious food and great value for money, with Irish pub ambience and no smoke!!

endlessblockade
endlessblockade

excellent vegan cafe/bar

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

We came here in the evening and had a great meal. it's a cozy looking bar that caters to vegans and has a HUGE selection of whiskeys!
We had the garlic soup to start which was incredible, and inspired me to make my own when I got home. We also had the vegan weinerschnitzel which was also great and very filling. the staff were friendly and i would definitly recommmed for visiting vegans in Vienna!

Pros: garlic soup, nice atmosphere, good service
Cons: none
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Coolest Vegan friendly Irish bar!

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2009

They have a separate room for smokers! Organic beers, awesome original austrian dishes veganized. Pancake strip soup is great, but oily! Everything is mostly fried but its a fun place that you can't miss out on!

Pros: tons of vegan food, organic beer, vegan cheese
matrosin
matrosin

going out local with food

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2008

its like a going out local with food. They got much vegan stuff and a really frienly service. Food is excellent and the ambiente is only nice.

Pros: really nice ambiente, vegan stuff, friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Rupp's Vegetarisches Pub :