Serves meat, veg options available. Mixed menu with some vegetarian and vegan options. Staff is accommodating to vegans. Also sells carpets. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Turkish, Non-veg
Akbiyik Caddesi, Sultanahmet
Istanbul, Turkey

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by RuthMajersdorf

Great choice for veggies & vegans in Sultainhamet

4 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2014

After putting together a pretty lack luster list of restaurants to check out in Istanbul, I put this "veg-friendly" place on the list based on the reviews here. I am really glad I did. On the surface, it is typical of many of the restaurants on the street. English menu, Turkish food, pizza, pide, indoor and outdoor seating, water pipes, etc. But the place is so much more. They do have quite a lot of vegetarian options but what impressed me was that as a vegan they went out of their way for me. On my first visit, I asked about a dish to see if it was vegan. We settled on their making me a veggie rice pilaf with a hummus starter. The hummus was great and the rice dish was fantastic. They also sent over bread which I could not eat as I saw there was butter on it. So they made me bread with no butter. That is the kind of place this is. They are happy to engage in a conversation about the ingredients and they ask you for details and the chef too if they are not sure of the answer. You can't ask for more than that. I spent a few hours there enjoying my meal and post meal tea. I also ended up having a great chat with another couple that was there on a return visit. This place does seem to bring them back.

I too went back a second time. This is a huge endorsement. I can not readily recall another non-vegetarian or non-vegan restaurant that I have chosen to go back to when traveling. I have certainly gone back to veggie/vegan joints, but the staff here was so great, I just had to come back again. They are all so nice and really funny. On my second visit I had them make a marinara pizza. They were so worried about this and whether or not I would like it as I guess it was a first for them. But they did it and it was good. Again it just speaks to the kind of people they are. They want you to enjoy the food. I even got some food to go to take onto the plane with me. In a town that sorely lacks for vegans, it was a relief and a treat to find a place that cares about you and your meal.

Pros: Great staff, Will alter anything to your needs/tastes

Great vegetarian kebab

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

We have just had dinner at Rumist Cafe & Art. They saw we were a bit cold and gave us two blankets. Really nice! We started with the tomato and lentil soup, and than we had a vegetarian kebab for two. It was delicious and very tasty (it was vegan)! There were many other vegetarian options on the menu, including a variaty of freshly squeezed juices. Best meal in Instanbul so far!

Pros: nice service, fair price
Cons: none

Nice place!

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

Not that many options for a vegan; a Vegetariana or Marianara without cheese or a few variants of mezze platter, but still; the staff is so nice and they do absolutely anything to make you feel welcome, so if nothing else - do have a cup of tea. Also you can arrange your own mezze-platter, for 20 TL.

First vegetarian experience in Istanbul

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

This was almost next to our hotel, and we where very hungry. Started with the mixed mezze which was very good. Almost a meal onto it self. Then 2 vegeterian mean courses which left us with no room for dessert.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Rumist: