Ruffage Natural Foods

Serves meat, veg options available. Sandwich shop and small health food shop walking distance from Waikiki Beach. Veg except for turkey and tuna. Each day a special plus vegan choices including tofu vegan omelette, taro burgers, tempeh, veggie burrito, chili dogs, chili with rice, and smoothies. Limited seating. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Take-out, Non-veg

SuperDaisy26
SuperDaisy26

Aloha

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

This has been a favorite stop here in Waikiki. Its was conveniently located next to our hotel and the beach. The service was always friendly and helpful. The vegan and gluten free items are clearly marked. We loved the smoothies,taro burger and the tofu scramble. Mahalo :)

Pros: Good food, Fast friendly service, Convenient
Eviecus
Eviecus

Love this place!

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

My husband and I ate here 4 times when we were in Waikiki for one week. I had the vegan burger twice with avocado which was really delicious! I also tried the scrambled tofu with toast and salad (hubbie had vegetarian sausage with his) and another time I tried the tempeh burger. The burgers were really tasty and healthy! I would eat here everyday if I could.

Pros: location, great selection of foods, great value
naoko
naoko

very convenient

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

I went straight to this place to get lunch after arriving waikiki. I had vegan chili bowl with white rice instead of brown rice. It was very good and I went back for dinner as well. Because I could not find better place to get vegan food in walk distance from waikiki, this place was very convenient. I went there again for the brunch on the day after. I wish they had more hot vegan meal choices other than chili, but I liked the combination of chili, avocado and salad very much. Hope there will be more restaurants and shops with vegan menus in waikiki!

MariaDiPisaBrady
MariaDiPisaBrady

My new Waikiki favourite

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

Found this place on HappyCow, and was so happy I did. Went in for lunch one day, that back for breakfast the next. I tried their vegan burger w/avocado and tofu scramble. Plus they have a nice touch of offering "to go" meals airplane ready. I will return!

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

strange asian restaurant disguised as a HFS

3 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

Ruffages has a few shelves of organic sun screen, chips, kombucha a nd chocolate, what it mainly is is an asian restaurant. They were a little short tempured with me on my veggie burrito order (hold the chili, holding the avo and put the rice inside) but they finally agreed and it was a good bite despite being $10. $10 is better spent over at Mary's Organic for her huge spinache burrito (which I just polished off another) I wouldn't go to Ruffage again personally, but if you are young and just want something quick its not a bad hole in the wall

Cons: could be nicer, no parking, no bathroom
Jeffrey Hinkle
Jeffrey Hinkle

I highly reccomend Ruffage Natural Foods

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

This place is an oasis in Waikiki. Was my favorite spot I found, for sandwiches, smoothies, salads, and a decent assortment of staple foods and health products to keep you going. Try the house special smoothie, you'll be stoked! Large portions of very healthy cuisine, and super friendly staff, a must if you're in Waikiki and looking for some great vegetarian/vegan options!

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: closes at 6pm
s_k_
s_k_

Avocado Advocates

4 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

Years ago we spent an overnight in Honolulu. Before leaving we went to a sandwich shop where we had the most heavenly avocado sandwich -- one we've talked about for years afterward.

I couldn't figure out where this place was, but I found Ruffage through various veggie listings and stopped in for lunch. The moment I stepped in, I knew this was the place. So of course I ordered the avocado sandwich (the one with sunflower seeds) again. And it's still as sublime as I remember it.

So, I can't really say anything else about this place because I've never eaten anything else. But they do know their way round an avocado. And though they will specially pack food for flights (by separating the ingredients), I can't imagine a freshly-cut avocado ever tasting better, no matter how separated.

Pros: tasty, friendly, unpretentious
Noanimal
Noanimal

Nice place in Waikiki

4 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2010

During my stay in Waikiki I went allmost every day to the Ruffage cafe. The staff is hard working and friendly, it's not expensive and they have some nice items on the menu. Probably the only place in Waikiki where they have brown rice...

I really love the burrito. If you ask for it, they can make it vegan and gluten free. Great! They can also make the sandwiches with gluten free bread.

They also have a corner where they sell some organic food supplements. They opened a second place in Waikiki in Nahua Street with allmost the same menu.

The map here on Happy Cow does not point to the right location, you have to walk further down Kuhio (walk east, leaving Honolulu behind you) past the Pacific Monarch and than it's on your right hand side. Enjoy!

Pros: good price quality level
Cons: menu is a bit limited
pazsi
pazsi

Whole in the wall with decent food

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

On my first attempt to grab dinner I have failed because they close at 6:00pm.
On my 2nd try the staff was friendly and the vegan burrito was great. What I did not like was the run-down appearance of the place. Dirty entrance door makes me unsure about how the kitchen is being kept. Cleanleness is not a matter of money...

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, acceptable value
Cons: dirty doors, paper & plastic , needs some touch-up paint
yogagirl105
yogagirl105

delicious

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2009

had the tofu scramble, reasonably priced for waikiki and super nice staff - would definitely visit again!

Miss Chris
Miss Chris

Lifesavers in Waikiki

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2009

After two weeks on the islands, we were thrilled when we walked into Ruffage. Even though their menu didn't indicate they had a veggie dog, I ended up with two that I asked them to put their vegan chili on. Even though I was famished, I wouldn't have ordered two if I'd known how huge they were. My boyfriend ordered the vegan burger avocado and a side of their delicious chili. The delightful owners were amused by our large appetites but understood as they later told us many vegan families have found them after struggling to find vegan food in Honolulu and they all did the same; ordered way more than folks usually would.

We went back the next morning for breakfast and they were happy to see us and full of smiles. We talked with them more about the pace and found they took it over from his uncle about a year ago and have really enjoyed getting to know all the locals as well as flight crews that frequent the place. Joseph and Curyn made such a difference after the several food let-downs we'd experienced in the two weeks prior. We took our food to go and rode our rented bikes a couple blocks down to the beach where we enjoyed the tofu scrambler, fruit smoothie.

We will definitely go back to Ruffage anytime we're in Waikiki!

Pros: Casual, Vegan-friendly, Super nice owners
Cons: A little pricey, Simple fare
congahead
congahead

YUM

4 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2009

If you are struggling to find good food in Waikiki look no further.

I stumbled across this place while searching for good vegetarian food.

I tried it and then have gone back about 8 times so far in about 5 days. Food is great and the service is 2nd to none.

you should visit this place. Try the house special smoothie.

Chijou_no_seiza
Chijou_no_seiza

Alright.

3 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2009

I found this place through HappyCow and my boyfriend and I decided to eat there yesterday. Since we are both vegan and it was only a short walk from our hotel we walked down for lunch. I had read the reviews and thought it sounded good but I was left disappointed.

I ordered the "Vegan Burger Avocado", because I read it was the tastiest: it was a microwaved Boca burger on wheat bread. The avocado was delicious but this was NOT a burger. I hate boca burgers, and for a "natural foods" place I would have thought they would have freshly made their own patties or buns but they did not.

My boyfriend got a Taro burger, which like mine, was a microwaved frozen burger on sandwich bread. We both agreed it was SO much tastier and the avocado was also delicious on his sandwich.

These sandwiches did not come with any sides so we ordered a salad which was iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots, sprouts, a few tomatoes, and what tasted like Wishbone Italian dressing.

If you don't have anything else to eat I would recommend going there, but we found some vegan sushi in a grocery store a few days ago which was in my opinion a lot better and less overpriced.

At around $20 for the whole meal, I thought they were making a good profit off our frozen and cooked sandwiches. They did serve our meal fast but why shouldn't they? It was frozen food anyway.

They were really friendly and did answer our questions fully, but for someone who has eaten at really great vegan burgers for the same price, I had much higher expectations.

Pros: Vegan Options, Friendly, Location
Cons: Not fresh, Expensive
sophiaflute
sophiaflute

a gem

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2008

I was so happy to find this place on Waikiki beach. Just had a smoothie and tempeh avocado burger. The smoothie was great, tasty. The burger was delicious, fresh bread, avocado just perfectly ripe. Very friendly staff. A little pricey but worth the money for healthy food around here. Everything here is pricey.

jdame
jdame

Excellent little hole in the wall

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2008

I had the Vegan Special which was very filling and tasty. Friendly staff and comfortable seating made the place very enjoyable.

Pros: Vegan Selection, Location
Cons: Selection is small
Guest
Guest

Yes, Relief to Find in Waikiki

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

Nice sandwich shop. The owners were very friendly when we went in and gave us samples of vegan chili. My husband had a taro "burger" and I had an egg salad sandwich which was loaded with tomato, onion and sprouts. They had other vegan and vegetarian options. Generous portions on good bread. It's very casual and a huge relief in Waikiki, where finding a vegetable seems difficult sometimes. We also had fruit smoothies which were excellent, just fresh fruit, ice and a little honey. Could easily be made vegan. I'll be going there again on my next visit.

Pros: casual , healthy options, relief in Waikiki
bcveeg
bcveeg

A Relief to Find in Waikiki

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I have just recently visited Ruffage and found the staff super friendly and accommodating to my vegan needs. I had the Avocado/Tempeh burger that someone else had raved about and it was delicious. Even though the term burger is used, vegan bread is replacing the bun. The vegan bread was so flavourful and fresh, along with the fresh veggies and tempeh, it was the best one I've tasted. I also had the Veggie Burrito at a later date and because I don't eat cheese they threw in some brown rice. I found for the most part, that I got value for my money and could have easily eaten there for most meals. Even my non-vegetarian friend was impressed.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Good value
Cons: Closes at 6 pm
yogagyrl
yogagyrl

• raw

so happy to find

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2007

Only been here one time...so far...had a good smoothie with extras thrown in. It was so nice to find this place, in Waikiki it seems that the restaurants are catering to the "big eats" American mentality. Being a raw foodie, finding real fruit smoothies with (some) organic fruits is awesome.
They sell some other supply type things like bee pollen, nuts/dried fruit...and some other dry foods.
I read the other reviews about service, etc...in my opinion, the owners/operators are super casual, and having that attitude as a patron makes the perfect fit!!

Pros: fresh, healthy, helpful
Cons: a bit pricey
Deetdeet
Deetdeet

Save your money

1 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2007

I went in today with a co-worker. As we are both waitresses, our geniality to food service workers knows no bounds. I ordered a soup and sandwich combo. I said, "soup" twice. I know that he heard me because he pointed to the big board which shows the sandwiches eligible for the combo and says, "you can pick any of those sandwiches." When my sandwich came there was no soup to be found. After I had finished, I approached the counter and said, "I actually wanted to combo...so, can I pay the difference and get the soup?" The man started making a big deal out of it, saying that I had not said soup and that I should have in the first place if i wanted it. I said that perhaps he had not heard me, but in any case I would like to get the soup now. He was exceedingly rude and condescending about it, until I said, "never mind, I didn't think it would be a big deal to give you more money and get what I ordered, but forget it." ( I did not immediately notice the price discrepancy because my friend paid for both of us.) His wife came over and told me not to mind...it was just how he was. I used to frequent this establishment every day about when I first moved here 5 years ago. I intended to resume my daily patronage, as I am now employed in Waikiki, but now I will never set foot in there again to give money to such a stupidly pride-consumed man who is more concerned with being right than his own economic vitality.

ShiraM
ShiraM

Good little place

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2007

I had a hawaiian taro burger there that was really good. They have minimal seating, so you may want to order to go and bring your stuff down to the beach to eat.

Pros: helpful staff, good location
Cons: tiny, limited selection

Dear Owner and Manager of Ruffage Natural Foods: