CLOSED: Ruby's

Varied menu featuring roasts made from lentils, tofu, and textured vegetable protein as well as rotis, pizza, veggie burgers, curried potatoes and vegetable. Has gluten-free options. Note that honey is used in some sauces. Opened since winter 2010 and is operated by Ruby Thomaso-Cezette, a vegetarian and former nurse now in her 70s. REPORTED SHUT DOWN FEB 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Caribbean

First Review by Denise Norman
QuothTheRaven
QuothTheRaven

An Honest Review

2 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2012

Well, let me be frank, I volunteered at Ruby's to help her out during a difficult time. I admired her, truly loved her and even called her my "adopted grandmother." We met and hit it off immediately. My husband, brother and myself were frequent customers to the point Ruby even reserved us our very own table. As we are all devote vegans for the purpose of animal liberation, we asked multiple times if Ruby could let us know what was vegan, each time we got the same response: "everything is vegan." It wasn't until I volunteered for her and saw behind the scenes I could see a few falsehoods coming into light.

The margarine Ruby used was Becel original, which contains whey (a milk protein), as well as the "tofu" cheese as she called it was anything but tofu. It was a soy cheese which also contained a milk protein known as casein. My conscious was weighing heavy on me and I truly wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she didn't realize these products had milk ingredients, maybe it was a simple misunderstanding. After much deliberation, I confronted Ruby. She became defensive and very unwilling to listen. When I mentioned that not only do vegans not want to eat these things but people with severe milk allergies can also become incredibly sick, she scoffed and said "that isn't the case". Ruby knew there was milk contaminants in her food, she flat out lied to me.

I terminated my goodwill and left the restaurant extremely angry. I was lied to and deceived. I have not stepped foot in the restaurant since, which was 7 months ago. My conscience has still been heavy and I wasn't quite sure where to turn but I figured I needed to come clean. So I start with this review.

Maybe Ruby has changed and now tells the truth to her customers but I will never trust her again. Be warned, if she is still preaching her all vegan cooking, it most likely isn't so vegan-friendly.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 27, 2012

robocop
robocop

Ruby's is a gem

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

Stuck in Whitehorse on the way to Alaska and had some of the best vegan dinners and lunches I have ever had. I believe it is completely vegan restaurant but you will be delighted.

Wonderful roast and steak like entrees, great soup, vegetable and desserts.

Ruby is a lovely person who enjoys taking care of her vegan guests. You will be very satisfied.

Pros: Ruby puts love into her cooking, All vegan , delicious
Cons: It is way up in Whitehorse, too far away
Denise Norman
Denise Norman

Exciting, and right here in the north...

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2011

I haven't actually been to the restaurant, but they had a booth at a recent gourmet food fair put on to raise money for our local hospital. They provided samples of probably 8 or 10 different items - including items like vegan "bakon", "chicken" nuggets, and other great items that were new to me.

Everthing tasted GREAT, appeased me in terms of my 'comfort food' addiction. And (don't tell anybody) I went back for seconds on everything.

I am looking forward to a sit down lunch - will keep you up to date.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Ruby's: