Rotas da Ilha Verde

Small cafe with about 6 tables. Informal atmosphere. Simple menu with each main dish served with salad. English spoken. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Spanish, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Radio_Caroline
Fancy
Fancy

Rotas da Ilha Verde

3 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2012

Very nice service and cool place! Liked the food but I would have loved to see some Azorean traditional food (or their vegetarian versions :) on the menu...

Pros: Place, Service, Food
vegantonio
vegantonio

Nice and good restaurant in Azores

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2012

We are just back from Ponta Delgada where we have spended 2 wonderful weeks there. If you are a vegetarian or even vegan (like me) and you are going on vacation there... don't worry too much. You have at least this really nice vegetarian place where to go out for lunch and dinner. The Food is good, the Place is cozy, the service is very good and friendly. A real surprise to find something like this in the middle of the ocean. Inside you will think to be in some european city... It has saved our evenings... On top of that: Prices are very good for lunch and good for dinner. Vegetarian will have the chance to taste the good green tea ice cream (my gf told me it was great... so I believe it)

Pros: excellent service, good food, good value
zep
zep

The place to eat out in Sao Miguel!

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2011

This cosy little restaurant is the place for vegetarians and even non-vegetarians to eat out in Sao Miguel. It is at the moment the only vegetarian restaurant in the islands. The food is delicious and the staff is extremely nice. During one weeks visit we ate there five times. We did not get good food anywhere else in Sao Miguel, so Rotas is the "oasis" of the Azores.

Pros: exellent food , good value, friendly staff
  • Rob1 Rob1

What you write is still very true; I visited the restaurant twice in April 2012 and the food, the choice of wines, the service and the atmosphere were all excellent. Do try to book ahead, though, since on both occasions the restaurant was full with tables only becoming available later in the evening.

seangel
seangel

An oasis in the desert for vegetarians

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2010

We went to Açores on May 2009 and this was one of the absolutely rare vegetarian places on all the achipelagos.
The restaurant is cosy and confortable, the waiters absolutely lovely and friendly. We had excellent food, and as we went there 2 times we explered the menu:everything was delicious. We suggest also to stop at their cafe in the public garden were you may taste the only fantasious sandwich of your holydays in the Azores.

happyCoco
happyCoco

Very nice place

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2009

Very nice place. Entrees quite big, same for desserts!
Lovely waitresses, and definetely try the triple layer chocolate mousse. It's big enough for two!

Only place on Ponta delgada where you can get tofu!

Radio_Caroline
Radio_Caroline

• non-vegetarian

Great vegetarian food on an island of fish/meat

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2009

I just got back from a week in Ponta Delgada. As my company is vegetarian and I myself don't eat any fish, we checked happycow.com before we left and found the address for Rotas da Ilha Verde. The first night it was closed as it was a holiday (May 1st). Out of 7 days, we had dinner there 4 times, and every time the ambiance was great, the hostess was lovely and the food was amazing!!! As a starter the cheese fondue (with mayonaise ???) is fantastic, but enough for two, the seitan with mushrooms and coffee (though I hate coffee) was heavenly and the "secreda chocolat" (chocolat secret) is Sao Miguel's best kept secret: it is truly wonderful. We were delighted with Rotas, not only because of the great food, atmosphere and hospitality, but also because it meant that we didn't have to eat omelettes, salads or pizza for a week. Also, the food is very reasonably priced. Starters around €4, main courses €9-13, deserts €1,60-3 and local beer/water €1, wine €2.5 per glass and a huge pot of delicious tea for only €1.60. I recommend it to everyone living in or visiting Sao Miguel.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Value for money
Cons: closed on sundays and holidays

Dear Owner and Manager of Rotas da Ilha Verde: