Rosetta's Kitchen

Vegetarian whole food restaurant offerings ethnic, down home cooking using fresh produce from local farms. Menu items such as peanut butter tofu, smashed taters, nutritional yeast gravy, and vegan desserts. Dine in the all hand-crafted wooden furnishing interior, or on an enclosed balcony. Open until late. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, International, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Bethie
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Tasty vegan food

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

We visited recently and it was actually the first day that the downstairs kombucha bar was open. We aren't big kombucha fans, but we did enjoy the atmosphere and the beer was quite tasty. They serve the same menu downstairs and I was very excited to try the vegan queso. Unfortunately it was a bit bland, but the salty tortilla chips almost made up for that. The rest of our food, however, was delicious. Almost everything on the menu is vegan. We had the coconut curry plate and "the mountain", which left us quite satisfied. The prices weren't super cheap, but I thought they were fair. Later that day we tried some veggie nuggets at the downtown festival and they were awesome! I would definitely recommend this place.

Pros: awesome nuggets, lots of vegan options and whole grains, good beer
Cons: a bit pricey, meh queso
MarisaClark
MarisaClark

pretty good

4 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2014

Veggie burger was pretty yummy-needs mayo for sure. Sweet potato fries a thick cut and tasty. Nacho cheese is ok. Desserts were yummy.

iriairi
iriairi

Sometimes just go to Asheville for Rosetta's

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Love this place. Enjoy the variety and the staff is always helpful. Try to go at off hours (not right at lunch...) as it can get crowded. Will admit that I usually love the Peanut Butter Tofu, but it was off a little the last time I tried it. Hope they haven't changed the recipe.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Wide Variety
Cons: Small, Parking
shsmile23
shsmile23

Loved this place!

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

In town w/ friends from NW Indiana; I loved Rosettas! The curry bowl was delicious as was the corn bread; I appreciated the vegan ranch option very much! The queso was the only thing I would saw was uninspiring...lacked flavor and was watery. That will not keep me from visiting again however; they also have a "everyone has a right to eat" program that supports those less fortunate and allows those in need of a meal to pay what they can, when they can. I put my change towards a pay it forward meal and hope those reading this review will do the same.

Pros: Great menu; mostly vegan, Vegan desserts!!, Great vibe; friendly staff
jkirk
jkirk

Mediocre

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

I was really looking forward to this place, after the reviews on here. They have a HUGE vegan menu, and the staff is very helpful. My food was out incredibly quickly, which may have been my first hint. I got the peanut tofu, and it was DRY. It tasted like it had been made in the morning, and thrown in the microwave for me. The mashed potatoes and gravy were delicious, but a bit overwhelming. The queso just tasted like nutritional yeast. The location is great, and the place is charming. Maybe I just didn't get the right thing, but I was sad it wasn't better.

Pros: Friendly/helpful staff, Huge vegan menu
Cons: Flavors were off

Carrie C. Reid
Carrie C. Reid

Ok

3 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

I know that this restaurant is a mainstay in Asheville, and I wanted it to be better than it was. That being said, their vegan queso was fantastic. Most of the other menu items were not very good. In fact the cake and cookies were awful. I threw out my cake after the first bite (something I never generally do). The place was quaint and cozy, but it did not feel clean at all. I did like that the staff was pretty informed about what items were vegan, and what a true vegan item is. (This is always a challenge.) I will be back for the queso, but not much else.

Pros: queso, cosy, reasonably priced
Cons: not super clean, taste
murmur0302
murmur0302

rosetta's kitchen

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2013

my husband and I have been fans of Rosetta's for many years. They have a wide variety of vegan foods. All have been delicious, especially the sweet potato fries and the peanut butter tofu dishes. We give it a hardy two thumbs up!

Pros: great food, relaxed atmosphere, good portions
Cons: a little cramped for space
JessinJax
JessinJax

Great menu!

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

We visited Asheville over Thanksgiving and ate here the first day. My sons Tempeh Rueben was the best things we ordered. All of our food was very good, althought the nutritional yeast gravy may not be for everyone (good but an aquired taste). Very friendly staff! Love that they compost the food scraps. Excellent dessert selection. The mint tea was very good!

Pros: Cool place
KatieFucito
KatieFucito

Delicious!

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

We visited Rosetta's on our way from Nashville to Charlotte. I had the family favorite (PB tofu was delcious but my favorite part was the mashed potatoes and gravy) and my husband had the reuben (he liked it but it's hard to top the Chicago diner). We had the peppermint sweet tea for beverage which was very good and we had berry cheesecake for dessert. The cheesecake was pretty good. It wasn't the best vegan cheesecake we've had but it got the job done. I would definitely come back here.

Pros: friendly staff, extensive menu, great atmosphere
Cons: screaming children, parking
LauraQ98
LauraQ98

Delicious!

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

Came to NC to visit friends & family. Found Rosetta's on Happy Cow AND had it recommended to us from a friend in Durham (not even close to the restaurant but he stops here when he's in Asheville.) We stopped by on our way back to MI and LOVED IT!! We had the family platter, tempeh reuben & mac & cheese. The mac & cheese was bland, but my 2 1/2 year old devoured it. My 3 1/2 year old added chipotle ketchup to it then he ate it. The peanut butter tofu, kale, mashed potatoes & tempeh reuben were all spectacular. I would love to have one of these in Michigan! We also loved the atmosphere. I was impressed at the condiment selection (especially the shaker of nutritional yeast!)

BadassJB
BadassJB

Comfortable food

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2012

Rosetta's kitchen has really delicious home style cooking. It's got the funkiness of Asheville with the comfort food appeal of the south. Serves stuff like baked tofu with mashed potatoes and steamed kale. Has lots of vegan options and kombucha on tap. The desserts are pretty decent too.

Pros: vegan desserts, fun atmosphere, kombucha
Cons: service slow, not 100% vegan
vegan-nutritionista
vegan-nutritionista

Good Comfort Food

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

This is hearty vegan comfort food at its best. I really liked the laid back atmosphere, and I loved that there was tons of seating. You order at the register and then a server brings your food out, and it's really quick.

We tried a variety of different comfort food options, and probably our favorite was the peanut butter tempeh, although we also really enjoyed the mac-n-cheese. They also have local kombucha which was nice and spicy. Check out a full review: http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/rosettas-kitchen.html

Pros: comfort food, filling, good atmosphere
jhawk
jhawk

Always Good Good Good

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2012

Every time I am in Asheville I make it a point to eat here multiple times. The Sweet Potato fries are insane. The Reuben just as good. Seriously, everything I have tried is through the roof tasty. DO IT!
Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012

Pros: Friendly, Local, Healthy Comfort Food
mathman
mathman

Rosetta's Kitchen

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Wow, this feel of this place takes me back to Boulder in the '70s! I was forewarned about the rib-sticking nature of the food, but I was happy I went. I had The Mountain, which is brown rice, kale, fried tempeh, and sauce: rather simple, perhaps, but it was tasty; and was served 4 minutes after I ordered. If you're really hungry, this is the veggie place for you!

Emily Kate
Emily Kate

Making comfort foods vegan!

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

Crazy amounts of vegan options including corn bread! Peanut-butter tofu was scrumptious along with mac and 'cheese'! The BBQ tempeh was fingerlickin! Real homey atmosphere and the staff was very nice. It was a little busy when we went so I'll excuse the wait for our food.

Pros: Quiet, Lots of Options, Clean
squabattack
squabattack

My First Visit to a 100% Veg Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2011

I was sooo excited to stop in Asheville and sample some of the vegan foods offered there. The first place I stopped was Rosetta's: my boyfriend and I went there on a Sunday for some lunch and ordered the peanut butter tofu, cornbread with earth balance, kale, macaroni and "cheese", Korean barbecue tempeh, the family favorite (mashed potatoes, nutritional yeast gravy, kale and PB tofu), one Buchi fire (a type of kombucha), and a cookie for the road. Everything was delicious and I was ecstatic that all of it was vegan. I have yet to sample the cookie, but I bet that's great, too.

In short, I highly recommend Rosetta's!

Pros: Pretty cheap, SO many vegan options, Local food
Julie R
Julie R

I GO TO ASHEVILLE JUST TO EAT HERE

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2011

This is by far my favorite out-of-town restaurant. Everything from the low-key atmosphere to the location to the friendly service is perfect. And, the food is unsurpassed. I visit Asheville, NC, quite often and it is very vegetarian-friendly, but unfortunately, I love Rosetta's so much, I never try anywhere else.

I am ashamed that I don't try a variety of foods there. The peanut butter tofu is so delicious, that that's all I ever get. I get it with a side of fantastic mashed potatos and kale. It is my favorite meal. YUM!

Maybe sometime I will try something different so I can update this review! Try it!

Pros: Cute place, friendly service, Fresh, delicious food
veganmadre
veganmadre

I Dream About Rosettas!

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

If I'm ever in the position to open a vegan restaurant, it will be quite a bit like Rosettas! I love this spot - the food is great! I still crave the nachos even 4 years after first having them. I love the atmosphere, too. It's a laid-back joint that transitions between family friendly brunch spot, study haven, and social scene. Love it!

Pros: Variety of Food, Fast and Friendly Service, Funky/Fun Atmosphere
Cons: Not 100% Vegan, Too Far From My Home! :(
hippublican
hippublican

Soooo Good

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Rosetta's Kitchen is probably my favorite veggie joint in Asheville. Pretty good selection. I had the Portobella Plate and it was crazy good. Usually the greens are the boring part of an entree, but the sauteed kale on the side was absolutely delicious. I finished it off with a chocolate-pumpkin cheesecake, which was so rich and tasty and way too big to finish.
The service was relatively friendly and very quick. The inside of the restaurant is cute, but definitely hipster.

Pros: delicious, good portions, moderately priced
Cons: crowded
autumnivy
autumnivy

rosettas

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

I go here every once in a while when I'm downtown. Usually you can get in and out fairly quick, but sometimes it's a long wait. Usually get greens and mac and cheese. YUM! mac and cheese is nothing like kraft, but very good!! greens are a little different every time, but usually good. also, homemade tea is the best!!

Pros: nice staff, great food, porch seating
Cons: parking , busy, can be disorganized
Jaelus
Jaelus

Absolutely amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

My wife and I are both vegan and we stopped here several times on our vacation to the Asheville area. We had some of the best vegan meals we've had anywhere at Rosetta's. The staff was extremely friendly and you could tell the food was really made fresh and with care. Everything was absolutely delicious. My only regret was that our vacation wasn't longer just so we could have enjoyed one more meal at Rosetta's.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Incredible vegan selection
tgif66
tgif66

Always great!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2010

I have eaten at Rosetta's for years and love the place. The staff is friendly, the atmosphere is laid back and the food is very tasty. Not to mention as local and organic as possible. The portions have gotten somewhat smaller over time and I'm sad that they no longer do the Sunday brunch menu, but a lot of places seem to be cutting back these days. They do have a great $5 and under section on the menu for the budget conscious which is an idea I wish more places would emulate. I'll be back again and again this place is wonderful!

jetgal
jetgal

Check it out!

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2010

I ordered the Vegan Reuben and was not disappointed. It was delicous and offered something different that the usual vegan fare. My sandwich was about $9, but it kept me satisfied for the rest of the day. On a previous visit I tried the Vegan Queso and was not disappointed. The staff is nice, there's outdoor seating, and its open late.

Pros: friendly staff, great variety, open late
AJ Veggie Girl
AJ Veggie Girl

One of our favorite stops in Asheville...

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2009

Every time we go to Asheville, we have to go to Rosetta's, sometimes 3 or 4 times in one visit. The food is fantastic and well priced. There is a lot of variety. We especially love the vegan mac and cheese and the smashed potatoes. Our last visit, we tried brunch on Sunday morning, and it was awesome!!! We got the blueberry pancakes, which were two pancakes that were the size of the plate. It is a great place to go for late night dessert too. You do have to bus your own table, but if it helps keep the prices so low, I don't mind at all.

Pros: vegan, low cost
animallawgal
animallawgal

Just be prepared for the heat (literally)

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2009

For years I wanted to visit this vegan mecca, so Rosetta's was the first place I stopped at when I first visited Asheville, and the food, overall, didn't disappoint.

However, I live in the northern part of the U.S., so maybe this is normal for NC, but dining in Rosetta's was like sitting in an oven! There was a huge open window, with no screen, with limited seats that provide great street views ... but, there still didn't seem to be any air circulation in the joint.

You order at the counter, seat yourself and bus your own tables, which can lead to you having to clean a table that the previous diner decided not to before being able to sit down; this is not a place for germaphobes. The portions were large; for one of the very few times in my life (maybe due to the heat, though) I couldn't finish what I ordered. The "soul food" was great, I really liked the vegan mac n cheese, but the item I was most looking forward to, the peanut butter fried tofu, is the only thing I've had here that I wasn't crazy about. It is very perplexing to me, that I didn't like it, since it sounded like something I'd go crazy over. Even more bizarre was that my omnivore companion who never, ever eats tofu happily devoured it when I didn't want it ... I must be the only person who just doesn't like it.

My suggestion: if you are stopping by Rosetta's in the summer and aren't from the south, get a bunch of food (including dessert) from here to go.

Pros: many vegan options, good desserts
Cons: Even hotter inside than out!
Diner Dave
Diner Dave

Rosetta's Rocks!

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2009

Rosetta's Kitchen is definitely one of my favorite Asheville restaurants. I would be in trouble without it! I eat milk, egg, etc, so there is nothing in there that I can't eat! I'm sure most of you can relate to the worrying about what the greens or the beans or the gravy and such contain or are seasoned with. I love some good 'ol southern cooking vegetarian style. Rosetta's has that and then some.

Rosetta's has everything from simple dishes like basic burritos and tacos or beans and rice, my favorite of which is "The Bellyfull" made up of rice, beans of the day, grilled smoky tofu, cilantro and salsa on a bed of chopped lettuce for less than $7, to sandwiches my favorites are the tempeh reuben (best tempeh reuben ever, and I've had many) the baked tofu and avocado sammy and the smoky tofu wrap, to entrees like the family favorite and the mountain even pad thai and a curry dish I think. You can't go wrong with anything, even some rockin chili cheese fries. Too many favorites to list, it would basically be a menu if I did.

I like to pay for good food when I go out to eat. I'm not worried about table service or being waited on. Hell, I prefer to refill my own water and bus my own table and save my money for the food.

Rosetta's has changed a bit over the years since they opened. Most changes have been for the better like more choices and variety. They tried opening for breakfast everyday, it was like a dream come true, but I guess it wasn't paying off because they only do Sunday brunch now.

I have worn everything from a nice suit and clean shave to my roughest appearance possible and have seen a lot of different folks there, but its all good with everyone it seems. We all just love good healthy veggie/vegan food!

Thanks Rosetta!

Pros: all vegetarian, convenient, my favorite restaurant
Cons: call in orders wait in same que, some whiny customers, addictive
herbivoreheather
herbivoreheather

Simply Amazing!!

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2009

I am so happy I made it to Rosetta's Kitchen on my recent trip to Asheville. I saw all the wonderful reviews on here and had to get this delicious food you speak of! What a delight! The Tempeh reuben with fries was what dreams are made of...And they have so many vegan cookies and desserts to try! I brought home about 5 different cookies (to Nashville). Asheville is so lucky to have Rosetta's Kitchen! Looking forward to my next trip!

Pros: awesome food, great vibe, friendly staff
Cons: Not one where I live!
fatadam
fatadam

favorite in asheville

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

this is my favorite restaurant in asheville. not a lot to say, everything I have tried is good. Healthy options too (whole grains, beans, salads, tofu, tempeh, etc), not just lots of fried gluten and white rice. outside seating is nice as long as it isn't too smokey.

Pros: good food, decent prices, decent portions
vennahalo
vennahalo

Portland Needs Rosettas!!

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

Rosetta's Kitchen rocks. Rocks Rocks Rocks. From the Baked Tofu and Avocado Sandwhich, to the baked peanut butter tofu, this place is awesome.

I wish Portland had a sister restaurant!

Pros: Cozy atmosphere, Comfort Food!, Super nice staff
Cons: a little pricey
the_truth
the_truth

Vegans beware!!!!

2 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2009

I used to really like this place until they screwed up big time. Last night I ordered a "basic burrito." There was no mention of cheese being in the basic burrito in the description. So I get my basic burrito and start inhaling the thing because I was quite hungry. But then I taste a funny taste. A taste I had not tasted in years. That's right, goddamn cheese. There was goddamn cheese in my burrito, the burrito I was eating. So me, a vegan, was fed cheese by Rosetta and her kitchen of lies. I didn't think I would have to open up and inspect my burrito at a restaurant where the vast majority of the menu is "vegan." I learned a few things that day. I learned that you can't trust anyone to make food for you, and to always inspect it before you eat. I also learned that I will be going to Laughing Seed more, and never again to Rosetta's Kitchen of lies.

Pros: Can't , think , of any
Cons: Cheese everywhere, Cheese anywhere, Cheese all up in your foodz
  • Sixoaks Sixoaks

Wow! And to think that I would normally consider vegans somewhat pacifists since the goal is to use NOTHING that comes from animals. Wrong in your case I guess. Even if I don't take into account the profanity laced diatribe and the complete lack of respect for someone that runs a business that tries to do the right thing with both her food and her environmental impact, I get the impression you have an agenda here. I have only met Rosetta once, but she seems bent on doing the right thing and working hard at it.

While I agree that the description should have listed cheese, if I were a vegan that is as passionate (if that is the right word for it - militant might be a better word) as you are, I would look for the word VEGAN on the menu. Because most of the food is vegan does not mean all of it is. Maybe your hunger and the resulting dizzyness kept you from actually checking, but your error in doing so does not mean the restaurant was lying to you. Did it say "vegan"?

Your review actually prompts me to want to go to Rosetta's. And I might as soon as I finish my dead turkey sandwich with swiss cheese from brutalized cows.

• rosetta star rosetta star

An imperfect entity yea... we are. A house of lies? nope!!! The basic Burrito is supposed to be vegan, but it was a brand new item on our brand new 5$ and less menu (trying so hard to keep it real) but when you got it the cook wasn't familiar enough with the new items and he added cheese by mistake.

I know what your feeling, i still remember biting into a beef filled burrito years ago that i tried to get beans only on at at Taco Bell..... it grossed me out. However, i know that we fixed you a new burrito for free, and apologized profusely at the time, you seemed fine then.

We did mess up, but, we have several vegans on staff, they help us keep tabs on all the small print and hidden ingredients...that most restaurants overlook when they declare something vegan....... we are not a house of lies!

Please be nice. And we are really sorry.
    Sincerely, Rosetta Star

• Diner Dave Diner Dave

Well that sucks for you "the truth". Mostly sucks that you will not get to enjoy Rosetta's Kitchen anymore. I can relate to chomping into a wrap or burrito only to end up with a mouth full of meat or other undesirable elements. It SUCKS.

However, the restaurant operates with good intentions and in good faith. I ordered some tacos a few days ago and they had cheese in 'em even tho the menu says nothing of cheese. I did not mind, but if it did bother me I'm 100% certain that they would have made me new tacos.

Rosetta's Kitchen is far from perfect (just like ME AND YOU) but the last thing they are doing is intentionally lying in order to feed cheese to vegans for crying out loud. Maybe everything there has beef broth in it. Like a big conspiracy to fuk over us crazy veg-heads.

And you are correct in the lessons learned... ALWAYS look at what you eat prior to driving it down your neck in a feeding frenzy. Unfortunately you are stuck trusting others with your food unless you grow all your ingredients and make everything yourself from scratch on property that no one else can gain access to.

I wonder what I will get at Rosetta's tonight! Prolly do like usual and spend over $30 for two of us, but it is soooo worth it I can't help myself. I prolly spend enough there to pay their power bill as we go about three times a week!

I don't know why I spent my time typing this as anyone who reads your review will not take you seriously. I guess I just feel bad for you "the truth". At least the restaurant wont blacklist you like the Soup Nazi would.

• animallawgal animallawgal

Wow, I read this after I posted my review, and I find it horrifying that people want to act like this is not a big deal. Rosetta's needs to be very thankful this person ordered what was advertised as a vegan product because they were, in fact a vegan and not someone with a milk allergy. Would you dare to "shame" this guy for complaining and respond with some kind of "aw, be cool" response if this person had to pull out their epi-pen and make a trip to the emergency room??? It has happened, there is a restaurant in Austin, TX that is a prime example ... they served "vegan" chicken nuggets that they actually contained a milk product and a little boy that was dining there because he had a milk allergy ended up in the hospital! They almost killed the kid, and that is no joke! Rosetta's, thank your lucky stars the same didn't happen to your business! This IS a big deal, and it is a HUGE problem if the kitchen staff and management doesn't take the seriously fact that what they serve can make someone very, very sick.

• Denis Denis

OK, it was a mistake. They should have at least comped the meal.

• bessgoose bessgoose

good grief- get over your dramatic self. When eating habits yield such neurotic, fascist, and mean spirited behavior, they are completely counter-productive. Food is meant to be nurturing and sustaining, not grounds for moralistic bullshit. As a professional cook, you are the type of diner I loathe having to feed.

easydefault
easydefault

Awesome!

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

We ate there for the millionth time and of course it wa perfect! The peanut butter tofu is wonderful and you can't find better smashed taters anywhere else! The atmosphere is great also!

Pros: awesome customer service, kid friendly, acceps veg card
Cons: parking can suck dometimes
bengarland
bengarland

Delicous but not mind blowing or anything.

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2008

The food at Rosetta's Kitchen is very good and wholesome. We had a couple sandwiches and the queso dip. Most of the ingredients such as the tofu and tempeh on the sandwiches seemed store bought. It wasn't mind blowing or very inventive, and frankly a bit greasy, but hey if you're looking for cheap veg food this place is it.

Pros: good price, good food, open late
Cons: not mind blowing, greasy
ardizonisara
ardizonisara

• raw

yes the deserts are good

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2008

i like the vegan choco peanut butter cheescake it's yummay. the food is okay though not fantastic but since it's open late the drunk vegans have good food to eat after the bar and don't have to resort to french fries so like....this place is saving lives when you think about it. i like the funky little atmosphere and the skinny punk rock girls that man the register. it's a good place to go experiance the young people scene of asheville and chat with strangers.

Pros: deserts, kenny likes the beer, happy people
Cons: only so milk no rice or almond, prices could lower a tad
kider
kider

Good deserts

3 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

Good food, great beer, nice atmosphere, open late. But its not quite there. The hummus is way too garlicy, and most entrees are just not exactly on point. Great for vegetarians after the bars close, but given the choice I would much rather go down the street to laughing seed.

Pros: open late, good deserts, good beer(organic)
Cons: not great
tsap
tsap

Yum!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2008

Tried Rosetta's once during recent vacation in Asheville. Our dishes were delicious. I've been a vegetarian for so long I don't remember what a "real" Rueben tastes like, but this version was darn good. Spouse had the beer battered tempeh "wings" - great flavor. Vegan queso made me forget my weakness for cheese. Very comfortable place - not upscale. You order at the register and then a server brings your food to you.

ali176
ali176

Home Away From Home

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

I ate here more than once during my visit. Their specialty plate, peanut butter baked tofu with kale and smashed potatoes, is beyond comfort food. I didn't know kale could ever taste that amazing, tender and savory and satisfying. The cookies are blissfully delicious, too. The staff are warm and welcoming, as are the other customers, one of which offered me one of her homemade vegan cupcakes! Who know counterculture and down-home could coexist so beautifully.

Pros: affordable, relaxed atmosphere, blissful food
sleepydvdr
sleepydvdr

A vegan's dream

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2008

To begin, this restaurant is quaint. They have amateur photography (that you can bid on to buy) hanging as decoration. They are very knowledgeable about what is in the food. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Their menu isn't posted on their website as of yet, but I just ate there 3 times the for the past 3 days while on vacation. Almost everything is vegan and the few items that aren't vegan usually can be made vegan by substituting for soy milk for milk or their own vegan nacho cheese for any real cheese.

I was lucky enough to go with some friends each time, so I got to sample a lot from their menu. So, I'll tell you what I thought...

Peanut Butter Baked Tofu: I can see why some people didn't like it. I liked it, but it had a very strong PB flavor. If you order this, order a small portion or you may want to ask for a sample on a toothpick or something.

Kale: this was my first time eating kale, but it was awesome. It had a little garlic flavor to it. I only wished I ordered a bigger portion.

Tempeh Reuben: I taste-tested this one compared to another nearby veg restaurant's vegan Reuben and came to the conclusion that I liked Rosetta's better. However, neither tasted anything like what I remember how a real Reuben tasted. But these sandwiches were very tasty, even if they didn't taste like the real thing.

Buddah Bowl: this is a sampling of various side items like smoked tofu on rice with a Koren BBQ sauce, a portion of salad with sliced avacado and tomato, and something they call "sea veggie salad" which tasted great, but had no 'sea' taste to it at all. It seemed to be a dark leafy-green veggie with carrots and some other veggie I couldn't identify. But I didn't care because it was great.

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy: you must taste this. Get a bowl of this as a side item if your meal doesn't come with mashed potatoes. It is just THAT good.

Chili Cheese Fries: remember to order the vegan cheese. Topped with homemade chili with a their homemade cheese sauce (not a perfect faux cheese, but not bad either). It's a messy thing, so you'll need to use a fork to eat it after you pull out the loose fries. It's a meal in itself.

The Mountain: rice topped with some really awesome tasting marinated tempeh cubes (fried crispy). Served with kale on the sides of the dish.

To conclude, I tried 3 restaurants in Asheville and this was my favorite. I came here 3 times and only 1 time each to the other two. That should tell you something.

Pros: Vegan friendly to the max, Great tasting food, Good deserts
Cons: You must bus your own table
GoatxThrower
GoatxThrower

Heavenly

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

I'm not from Asheville, but I visited Rosetta's twice in the span of 24 hours. The vegan queso on the nachos was actually better than I expected. The peanut butter tofu was pretty good, maybe a little dry, but that's alright. I also had some cornbread that was awesome. If you're a vegan/vegetarian and you're passing through, visit this place!

Healthy Mama
Healthy Mama

Vegan Heaven

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

My only complaint is that Rosetta's is not a chain with plans to open in my hometown. Simply the best chili cheese fries (made with their homemade nutritional yeast) I've had since college!

Great as a late night spot, but busy all the time. We were there at 3 pm on a Monday and it was nearly full.

Employees were friendly, atmosphere very artsy and laid back, wonderful desserts.

Don't be put off by the entrance. We almost kept driving when we pulled up to this tiny entrance on Lexington because it looked very run-down. But, then we noticed Rosetta's tiny door (next to very run-down surroundings) led to a colorful and clean upstairs we didn't first notice.

After dinner, I was very impressed with the earth-friendly food containers they provided.

Wow! This is vegan food that the heartiest cernivores would die for. No appologies needed. I would consider returning to Asheville only for Rosetta's food.

Pros: Amazing food, great ambiance, friendly staff
Cons: run-down entrance
creeves1971
creeves1971

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2008

Rosetta's is heaven for the vegetarian/vegan! They offer an exopansive menu that can please even the most picky eaters. The cost is reasonable, and the service is always friendly. Our family enjoys the laid-back, rustic atmosphere...kinda reminds of a beach restaurant. If you're in the area, come and eat some of the best food....our faves are the tempelo wings, biscuits and gravy, and mac-n-cheese (and lots more!).

Pros: excellent food, reasonable costs, cool atmosphere
Cons: none
askantik
askantik

Not bad at all

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

First, the staff was really nice. The menu is broad, too. And they've got plenty of vegan desserts! Sadly, though, we didn't try any. We got chips and queso dip as an appetizer (while not bad, it tasted a little too much of nutritional yeast).

The peanut butter tofu is definitely not a favorite of ours. I think it's a hit-or-miss with everyone. You either like it a lot or not at all. But the smashed potatoes and gravy were pretty decent. And the tempalo wings and vegan ranch... delectable! Their lime-tasting homemade lemonade was pretty good if you like limes in your lemonade. I still regret that we didn't try any desserts.

I also give the place big thumbs up for all of their recycling, composting, and biodegradable takeout boxes (but be careful, the takeout boxes will start to leak if you don't eat the food in about 2 days). If I'm ever in the area, I'll definitely be stopping by again.

Pros: Very vegan-friendly, Very earth-friendly, Food is good
veganrunner
veganrunner

Good food!

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2008

Love the fact that Rosetta's offers good vegan food at reasonable prices and buys locally-grown and organic products whenever possible! The coconut custard and cornbread are stupendous.

Pros: environmentally-friendly, great desserts, reasonable prices
goethe3
goethe3

The best Vegan restaurant in Asheville

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2008

Rosetta's is heaven for vegans! They have a wonderful enviroment and are the most vegan-centered restaurant I have ever seen! The food is great and you want to try everything, but their "Family Meal" (Peanut Butter tofu, mashed potatoes, and kale) is to die for! A great place; I wish we had one back in our hometown. We have traveled many times to Asheville to just eat at Rosetta's!

Pros: Vegan-centered, Wonderful taste, Great selection
Cons: Can get crowded, Has long order-first lines
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

This is such a fun place!

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

Definitely a younger and wild crowd here! The food is great. They are open late. You can park behind on Lexington (I believe is the street) and there's a door that leads to stairs up to Rosetta's. There are a lot of cool ECO shops up Lexington, too.

chandadefoor
chandadefoor

Love it!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2007

Rosetta's rocks! It's so convenient--we always used to park across the street from it before we even knew it was there. We're impressed by the restaurant's efforts to recycle and compost. The food is out of sight! They even have yummy vegan desserts.

Pros: Cake, Recycling, Food Choices
Cons: Wait Staff
mentally.ticklish
mentally.ticklish

I want to marry this cafe!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2007

I kick myself for all the times I visited Asheville in the past WITHOUT eating here! Their selection & quality of fare here is impressive & always there is something new to try or combination to make. The cafe is easy to find, towards the end of the heart of downtown & close to an interstate exit. Parking has been a problem for me when I visit, especially on a bustling Friday or Saturday nite. There is plenty of variety on the menu here, and any omnivorous friends you may have in your party will easily be able to find something delightful here. I respect & admire this establishment's endeavors to lesson their environmental impact by offering recyclable/compostable carryout boxes & composting/recycling their waste foods & packaging.
They offer daily specials & soups and a wide variety of desserts. For example, on my last visit they offered a tuna salad-style sandwich that was delicious; I relished in the delight of a perfectly vegan & completely gigantic slice of strawberry cake afterwards! Everything on their menu is CLEARLY marked if it IS NOT vegan. They have long dining tables that encourage socialization between the customers as well as a few small tables for all you sweethearts...
If you're traveling through the city you'll definitely want to stop by & grab a bite to eat, this cafe is not just a place to eat, it's an experience!
(Make sure to experience the cornbread, it is stunning)

Pros: Eco-friendly, social atmosphere, Funky & fresh
Bethie
Bethie

Great menu

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2007

Rosetta's has a great atmosphere and the staff is content but not particularly attentive. The selection was great, but the tempeh reuben was typical for a vegan restaurant. Two vegan cakes were available, in addition to a strawberry tart (which was not so great). Overall, I enjoyed Rosetta's and would definitely go back.

Pros: Selection, Atmosphere, Music

Dear Owner and Manager of Rosetta's Kitchen: