CLOSED: Roots

Serves meat, veg options available. All veg except for fish and shrimp. Includes main entrees, sandwiches, desserts, juices, and coffee. Next door is their sister home-clothing store. Reported shut down in late June 2013, phone no answer. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Organic, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

Sweet
Potato
Fries
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Pros: Well prepared, Located on the square, Good tea too
Cons: Can get pretty chilly, In winter, when people come and go.
amarello
amarello

Excellent!

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2011

At a conference in Bloomington and thus forced to eat out every meal. I finally found a good restaurant here! Everything on the menu can be vegetarian or vegan and the only meat dish I saw was a daily special that was salmon. I had a vegan pesto sandwich with seitan which was excellent. Very fresh looking and tasting baby greens on the sandwich. Service was friendly, even though they were extremely busy.

Pros: vegan selection, delicious, friendly staff
RunVeg
RunVeg

My favorite Bloomington restaurant

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

I love Bloomington, and I make the hour trip there almost every weekend to buy real groceries. I love all the food options, compared to either Terre Haute or Greencastle (Read: NONE at either location). Roots is my favorite! Their Thai cuisine is so delish, and their appetizer sampler is to die for (alas, it is fried, so make it a special occasion!). It has spring rolls, fried seitan, and fried tofu. I can't ever decide which is my favorite!

I asked to eat there for my last birthday when my parents said they'd take me out to eat. I got my omni parents to eat there, and they loved it! They both got smoothies after the meal, too.

Oh, don't miss out on the wheatgrass shooters. They're a little expensive ($5), but they are awesome! And there is outside seating, which I love.

Pros: sampler appetizer, wheatgrass shooters, smoothies
Cons: wheatgrass a little expensive

aijia
aijia

A great choice in Bloomington

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

I love Roots and I think some of the reviews have been unnecessarily harsh. The food is great and has been every time I've gone. The fried seitan sandwich is great and meat-eaters love it. I love the summer roll-type appetizer and the seitan gyro. Just make sure to specify if you're vegan -- and they don't always seem to realize that vegan means no honey.

It's true that the service is inconsistent and usually slow. The servers are nice, however, they just aren't too attentive. So as long as you come in with a shred of patience, you'll be fine. The prices are also a little bit higher than most other food in Bloomington, but I feel like that's what we need to pay for locally grown and organic food.

The brunch is fantastic, and my brother loves the smoothies. My meat-eating family members usually complain when they hear that I want to bring them to a vegetarian restaurant, but once they eat there they are pleasantly surprised. And I'm always thrilled to go because it's pretty much the only restaurant in town with multiple vegan choices. Thrilling! =)

Pros: tasty food, healthy options, vegan-friendly
Cons: slow service, no diet soda
passionflower
passionflower

Order a drink...

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2009

you'll need it. The drinks are fresh and flavorful. However the food varies. Today the seitan tasted just like spoiled meat, the yogurt cucumber sauce like soured milk, and the pita was tough as rubber... at least the lettuce was fresh! Wish I'd ordered one of their drinks as I am having trouble losing the terrible taste of the food and only ate a few bites. Have also tried their pad thai and found it greasy and bland, as are the fries. Sweet potato soup is edible, but bland also. My guess is they exist due to the atmosphere. The lowest rating here is a 2. That's a bit high for this restaurant, in my opinion.

Alyce Miller
Alyce Miller

Inconsistent on both food and service

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2009

While the food is often very good, you have to be very careful that they know you're vegan, or else you'll end up with cheese coating everything. Their best dishes are the simplest----curries with veggies and noodles or rice. It's when they try to do "fancier" things that the quality goes down. While service has improved somewhat, in general it's very slow, and you have to ask several times for things like water or a straw or another napkin. When I'm feeling grouchy, it can be a little too "hippie-dippie" for me. On a beautiful sunny day when you can sit outside and you're not in a rush, the vibe can be perfect. I will say that the food is not cheap but the portions are generous.

Pros: good food, healthy , friendly staff
Cons: slow service, mistakes for vegans, expensive
jondeles
jondeles

yummy

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2009

i live in indianapolis and went to bloomington just to try this restaurant. i was not disappointed. the appetizer sampler was the best appetizer i've ever had, hands down. theres a lot of delicious sounding things on the menu. our server was very friendly and attentive. their specialty drinks are wonderful, and the place is decorated really awesome. the prices were very reasonable, too. i've been craving another trip ever since!

Pros: great food, great service, fun atmosphere
Cons: i wish there was another one in indy!
Laurel
Laurel

Okay food, bad service

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

I was in Bloomington visiting a friend lately and we went to Roots twice, once for lunch and then for Sunday brunch. I had the country-fried seitan sandwich. It was very good, although the underside of the bread was soggy-as if it had been sitting out for a while before being served. However, on this instance, this was my only complaint.

Brunch was a different story. It took a total of 10 minutes for us to get our 2 coffees and 1 latte, which were all delivered at different times. After we ordered and started receiving our food, it was again not all ready at the same time, and both omelettes on the order were with the wrong ingredients. After waiting quite a while for them to be remade (the restaurant was not terribly busy), one was still wrong. But my friend was too hungry to complain again.

Over and over we had to ask for basic things. Milk for the coffee (which we had already specified), milk for the granola, plus side orders were missing. No coffee refills were ever offered. Our waitress wrote nothing down and then blamed the kitchen when our food was wrong.

Unlike the lunch I had the other day, the actual food was fine, not great, but the service was so bad and the experience so frustrating that it was hard to enjoy ourselves at all.

I would recommend Farm and Laughing Planet over this place any day. Neither is 100% vegetarian, but they have good food, service, and atmospheres. I don't think we should let veg restaurants get away with crappy service just because they are the only veg place in town.

Pros: good food
Cons: horrible service
alllifeissacred
alllifeissacred

My Favorite Restaurant

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

I can honestly say Roots is my all time favorite restaurant ever. Mostly because of the community I feel when going there but also because they are the only restaurant in town you can go to get an ethically produced meal without other aspects of the restaurant compromising itself for marketing purposes.

I've been a patron of Roots many years now and I have seen them grow. Ryan's ideals where great but he was too nice at times and was not always the best person when it came to finances and hiring people.

Since the change of ownership the quality of the staff has gotten not just better but actually great. They are friendly and helpful not the 20 minutes waiting to be served and the sometimes snotty attitudes often I got before.

The food as also improved with many new asian dishes. The Tom Ka, Pad Thai, and Green curry are all out of this world fantastic. Tuk Ta is an amazing cook and one of the most compassionate woman I know. She always a smile and kind word to say.

Today I had the biscuits and gravy which yes are vegan. They were smaller than the portions I remembered before which honestly were too much for me and I felt guilty about wasting them or a the take home container.

This time the biscuits weren't rocks which has happened a few times under past ownership. The sage gravy was incredible as well as the potato cake was honestly the best I have had yet.

Andy who is one of the new owners along with Tuk Ta knows how to hire and has hired some real quality staff remembers. I am on a first name basis with them all and look forward to my visits.

I sure hope vegetarians and vegans remember to vote with their dollars because Root's is a rarity in these parts and if we are mindful to feed what is compassionate and good it will help set the stage for others like it.

Personally when I do chose to go out to eat I eat at Roots about 70-80 percent of the time because I understand how powerful where we put our dollars can be.

Peace and blessings to any who read this : )

Pros: Friendly Staff, Ethic Food, Whoelsome Healthy Food
Cons: Not super cheap but not too spendy, Can takes a bit of time to get a juice, Occasional small parking issue
crystalglen
crystalglen

Service sucks!

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2007

Although I've eaten here many times with varying degrees of satisfaction, the final straw happened last night and I don't plan to go back. I showed up with my wife, 15 month old son, and mother-in-law; there were 3 other small parties there (not exactly busy); we waited 10-15 minutes and when no one had said even the first word to us, we walked out. I try to be patient and understanding but having experienced poor service at this place multiple times, I give up. What a shame the only all-vegg place in this liberal town is such a let-down. You'd think if your business is limiting it's offerings in such a way, you'd pick up the pace in areas of service and food quality so as to avoid alienating the selective customers that come through the door.

Pros: organic, local
Cons: poor service, unreliable, sometimes unfriendly
mssheep
mssheep
  • non-vegetarian

Very bad meals

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2007

A very disappointing Saturday lunch. Service was very slow both in taking order and getting food . We did not get what was ordered , no explainations and no offer to fix it. Quality of food very mundane at best. Not a smile to be had from any staff. Previous visits have been delightful.

Pros: good menu selection, interesting decor
Cons: poor service, bad food
IUMom
IUMom
  • non-vegetarian

Great food and great environment

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2007

I just love Roots Restaurant and Juicebar. I've been there many times and everytime I'm in town (I'm from Nothern IN) I have to stop in for some great food. I'm not a vegetarian and I rarely eat food without meat but I love going to Roots. All the food is fabulous and has tons of flavor. The sandwiches are great and the stirfry is also one of my favorites. They always give you tons of food and I always have to ask for a to-go box. I've never had bad service or cold/bad food here. I am a customer for life for Roots. Give them a try and you'll be plesantly surprised as to how amazing the food is.

Pros: Great Food!!!, Healthy Options, Beautiful Decor

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Roots: