CLOSED: Roots Bistro

Serves meat, veg options available. May have previously been all veg, but added meat since Sept 2012. The daily menu includes vegan, gluten-free and grain-free baked goods, raw vegan treats, seasonal fruit and coconut yogurt, salads, sandwiches, fresh spring rolls. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg
507 Westheimer
Houston, Texas 77006
713-524-1000

Open Mon-Fri 7am-2pm, Sat 8am-3pm, Sun 10am-3pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Leah Stolar
veggie*
veggie*

Serving up Misogony

1 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2013

This restaurant posted a sign today that read "Beer should be like violence...domestic." After the backlash, they took it down and posted an "apology" sign that read "Seriously, focus your energy on equal rights" as if to say "calm down ladies, it's just a joke and it's not a big deal." Knowing Roots Bistro joked about something that affects one in four women, I cannot in good conscience visit this restaurant.

Cons: sexism, misogoy, bad humor
alxsrbraun
alxsrbraun

Delicious, interesting vegan food

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

They don't have a ton of vegan options, but the ones they have are delicious! Their veggie melange, their vegetable flatbread (if with olive oil; menu says olive oil or mozzarella, their raw pasta dish, their raw chocolate cake, and their Jerusalem artichoke appetizer are vegan. I've tried all but the raw pasta dish - everything is delicious. My boyfriend and I went here for Valentine's because it's a fancier place that offers vegan options!

Pros: Vegan items are delicious, Staff knowledgeable , Very nice, sophisticated place
Cons: A lot of meat dishes
little_bit
little_bit

Would not recommend

2 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

I was excited to try this place since I knew they would have vegan options for me and my boyfriend would be happy he wasn't forced into choosing something vegan himself. They had a vegan braised sausage on the menu that actually sounded really good - unfortunately they were out. I had some sort of vegetable medley instead which was recommended by the waitress. It was pretty much terrible - basically it was an entire plate of grilled peppers (I mean like whole peppers, not sliced up or anything) and for $18!

We also had a cheese appetizer, and while the cheese was good I would not suggest that anyone pay $9 for 3 small pieces of cheese.

Also, as previous reviewer commented they do serve things like fois gras and veal which seems very odd for a restaurant with a supposedly vegan chef. It actually made me very uncomfortable (thank god my boyfriend did not order either - I don't think I could have handled it!).

I think this place is way overpriced for the quality of food and service - I definitely would not go back even though I think the vegan sausage dish may have been better.

Pros: Vegan options, Nice ambiance
Cons: Bad food, Expensive, Serves veal
pzubioli
pzubioli

Roots serve smoked fois gras

2 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2012

I live close by this restaurant and was really excited when I saw they could be a healthy place to eat in Houston. I was so disappointed to find out they serve smoked fois gras. Yes, FOIS GRAS!! This is pure cruelty, and banned in several places, such as California. I let them know about it and they couldn't care less. I will never try their food since I boycott places like that. I thought it would be important for people to know.

Pros: neighborhood
Cons: serve fois gras
Leah Stolar
Leah Stolar

Yummy, Attractive Vegan Lunch Spot

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

I've eaten here about 6 times since the June opening. The food is consistently excellent with an attractive presentation. There is ample space so you don't feel crowded and it never gets noisy. Each table has a beautiful flower centerpiece and foodie book to browse. Plenty of parking. Wonderful spring rolls. The banana chocolate chip gf/v cookies are yummy. Love the cantaloupe smoothie.

Pros: vegan choices, attractive presentation, quiet

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Roots Bistro: