Small veggie food cafe in the city centre. Offers vegetarian meals and some vegan ones, Cakes made by That Old Chestnut, a range of hot and cold drinks. Meals range from veggie breakfasts to soups, Mexican, lunch staples such as jacket potatoes and burgers. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, British, Western
10 Grand Arcade (Briggate)
Leeds, England LS1 6PG

rhino matt
rhino matt

Wonderful.

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2014

I uses to come here when I was a child with my mum (who would take me as I was a vegetarian). I even wrote my GCSE business studies project on this cafe! It's fairly recently had new owners, and it's given the place a great new atmosphere! A must visit for any Vegetarian or Vegan that is visiting or living in Leeds!

Pros: Clean, Friendly, Loads of options
waynesmith132
waynesmith132

such a lovely place

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2014

I tour the UK with work always looking for places like this. It's wonderful. Caters for all veggie/vegan/ovo/gf needs. Good hearty food for big eaters like me. With a lovely service from great staff. And in a nice relaxed atmosphere. WE NEED THESE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!!

whistlingmonkey
whistlingmonkey

wow

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2014

Wow indeed. I used to come in here when it was the only vegetarian cafe in Leeds giving it my custom hoping it would change. It had no energy, no life, no warm welcome, often no welcome at all and a dull menu.
New owners took it over in November 2013 and this was my first visit since then.
It now has energy, a vibrancy, life. The new owner was welcoming, chatty, friendly & lovely.
I am sure the changes may not have been welcomed by some of its previous regulars, but, they will be replaced by many more new regulars.
A good varied menu with lots of vegan options.
If you haven't been here for a while, it is time to come back, if you haven't tried it at all, now is the time.
Roots and Fruits has regenerated and is rapidly heading back to being the fantastic vegetarian hang out it used to be.
I so look forward to my next visit.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 19, 2014

Pros: Good location & welcome. , Relaxing & energising feel. , A great varied menu.
Cons: Too easy to sit and watch world go by.

Julka
Julka

Change for the better!

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

In reply to the previous reviewer. Phew. I've been coming to Roots and Fruits for about ten years now, my pre-show venue which has become as much of the treat on a night out as the opera/concert/play at Leeds Grand next door.

Hearing that it had changed hands we were worried. Anxiety now dispelled after a delicious meal last night.

I opted for my standard, the pakoras, deliciously crisp light clouds of spinach, opinion and potato complemented by with a yogurt and spice dip. Sharing these, in exchange for two of the goat's cheese fritters with onion marmalade, I realised that whatever the show next door at Leeds Grand was like, the evening would count as a success by the food alone. The main courses proved equally as tasty, served unfussily but with a nice finishing touch: my mexican bean and tomato soup accompanied by corn tortillas and sour cream;. My partner's choice, from the daily board, vegetable curry and brown rice - was well seasoned and nicely textured.

The menu hasn't changed radically, but it has improved. It is somehow lighter and fresher. And there appears to be a greater range on the daily special's board. The new owner let us know that the head chef and other staff remain the same, and that they're excited at and enjoying the opportunity of trying out new things and new ways of doing old things, now that the outfit has changed hands.

I'm now thinking of coming up to Leeds with a vegan friend, with the cafe as the main event, and a trip to the city gallery/Henry Moore Institute/theatre as the side dish.

Well done Kay and Richard, and staff. Keep it up.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly atmosphere/staff
Cons: not open until 7.30, no signposting of vegan options on menu
hack_man
hack_man

Fresh Changes

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2013

A very nice place in the recently revitalised Grand Arcade. This location is what makes Roots and Fruits special. There's something for everyone here from Italian and Mexican dishes to curries; so much choice and lots of vegan options too. It's always worth checking out the specials board and seeing what they have for dessert. However, it has to be the all-day breakfast for me. It's always a winner, and comes with a pot of tea or unlimited (within reason) filter coffee. Fair prices and friendly atmosphere. Recently changed hands in Autumn 2013, very sad to see the previous owners retire. I wish you the very best if you every happen to read this one day. You made our visits to Leeds most special. However, things change, sometimes for the better sometimes not, we will see..........

Pros: all-day breakfast, international dishes
Cons: dated in parts
OwlyIanYoung
OwlyIanYoung

So good we had our wedding lunch here!

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

This place has been open for years and although i don't get there too often, when i do i always think i should come more often. Mainly a daytime cafe, so only ever had lunch here but think the food is great with lots of choice and good range of sizes of meal so suits however hungry you are. When we got married at the registry office couldn't think of anywhere we would rather go for lunch afterwards!

Pros: Range of choice, Good value, Friendly staff
chlough
chlough

Good for a quiet lunch.

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

I'm sure the menu hasn't change the whole time its been open, and I'm not sure it needs to. Perfect for lunch during a day of shopping. Small, quiet and friendly. Probably not appropriate for an evening meal. Vegan options available.

Pros: Quiet, Friendly
ViolaineB
ViolaineB
  • raw

ok but nothing special really, I'm afraid!

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

The food is a bit pricey for what it is, nothing very special... I recommend this place for coffees or a quick lunch but not worth the detour if you're looking for exquisite veggie food... Also the couple who run this place are really nice!

Pros: central, nice coffee
Cons: food is nothing special, a bit pricey
haridasthakur.das
haridasthakur.das

Good family run business

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

Nice and friendly service. I found the place a little grubby and I don't like frozen chips or white bread baps and feel that a more wholesome approach to food would not go amiss (I would go more often). However, that said the portions are good and overall the meals are good too. By grubby I don't mean dirty, I refer to old mis-match furniture that's past its sell by date and a feeling of general seediness (reminds me of the old sausage and tomato-buttie cafes). This cafe is in a quiet part of Leeds (which is a pity) so it's good that we support these hard working owners.

Pros: good portions, friendly staff
Cons: a little seedy, white baps and frozen chips
J R
J R

Lovely place just off city centre shopping

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2011

I've been a guest to this lovely place a few times and would recommend it to anyone no matter what your personal diet requires. The people there are very caring and have great attitude towards food and talking to their customers. (They even do vegan garlic bread, how good is that)

Prices are absolutely moderate (£5-7 for a meal) so that you end up paying £10 to £15 for meal + drinks + sides and maybe even a coffee after your food.

The first time I was there, it almost seemed like we were their only customers and it felt a bit awkward, but thanks to the lovely people it quickly became a very nice place. And since my second visit I'm not so worried about their income anymore, there are some other customers as well ;)

They restaurant is located in the Grand Arcades just 150 m away from Primark/Headrow.

Pros: Great People, Great Food, Moderate Prices
VeganJulia
VeganJulia

Good food

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

During my walk through Leeds I stumbled upon this jewel. At first I hesitated to go in, because I was the only customer in this place that seemed more like a Greek taverna to me, than a place in England. (I went there around 4 I think, so I guess it's understandable that I was the only customer for some time). The staff was very friendly and I promptly got my Mexican soup that was served with some Tortillas.
The food was really, really good without being fatty or overly salty and the price was fine as well :)

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly staff
Guest
Guest

Yummy burger.

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

Great location in city centre. Delicious food. The vegan burger with pickle and mushrooms on is certainly worth a visit. Affordable and lovely owners.

captain_sensible
captain_sensible

An unpretentious, cosy little cafe.

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2010

I rely on this cosy veggie cafe when in Leeds - the food is good, the staff are welcoming and it's only a short walk from the shopping centre..

Roots and Fruits has been there for years and if there was any justice the lovely and dedicated couple who run the place would get medals for their services to the vegetarian community.

Gawdblessem!

Pros: Nice food, Friendly
LeedsVeggie
LeedsVeggie

Best Vegetarian food in Leeds

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2010

This is a great place to get good vegetarian food in Leeds.
The owners are really friendly and it has a great atmosphere.
It is very close to the grand theatre and lots of good bars close by too.

Pros: Staff, Cost, Taste
DonnaC
DonnaC

cosy friendly cafe

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

This is a nice little cafe offering a big choice of vegetarian and vegan dishes. It looks a little dated and it is set in a shopping mall which is a little run down but don't let this put you off as the cafe is quite charming and the quality of food is very good.

Pros: very good food, good vegan choice, friendly
Cons: very high stairs to toilet
Kevster
Kevster

Eating at Roots and Fruits.

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2010

This place gets pretty busy at week-ends and is pretty popular. There is an all day breakfast that is alright, sometimes a bit hit and miss (sometimes the beans are only warm/the mushrooms a little overcooked), for the vegan option you can ask for an extra sausage or hash brown instead of the egg.

Worth a trip if you're hungry, and it's the only vegetarian cafe in Leeds!

Pros: vegetarian cafe!, some vegan desserts, close to the city centre
Cons: coffee served in a cup, food could sometimes be better
Fat-Lad
Fat-Lad

Great Place

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2010

Found this place via VegOut on my iPhone.
The food is great, the owners very friendly.
Love it & will visit whenever I'm in Leeds.

Pros: Good food, Nice staff, Relaxing
Cons: Nah
Joloco
Joloco

Our favourite café

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2010

Roots & Fruits is an old favourite. It's been there for years and Leeds wouldn't be the same without it.

There's lots to choose from - soups, burritos, jacket potatoes, burger and chips, not-meatballs, pasta, sandwiches, an ever-changing specials board, and the all-day breakfast which is my personal favourite. Many dishes can be requested as vegan, too, these are marked in the menu. There's also a good range of drinks, including delicious smoothies, Fentiman's pop (though unfortunately no Dandelion and Burdock!), and coffee which they refill for you for free. And don't forget to leave room for the puddings!

It's definitely a cafe rather than a restaurant, with a colourful theme and an assortment of chairs and tables, but very homely - they often have a Beach Boys CD playing quietly in the background. It's also completely unpretentious, the owners and staff are friendly and helpful.

I live in London now, but whenever I'm back in Leeds, Roots & Fruits is near the top of my to-do list!

Pros: Wide range of dishes, Friendly, Reasonable prices
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Wow! What choice!

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2009

An excellent range of soups, substantial starters or light snacks, and hefty meals. Flavourful, too, and smoothies and juices too. Grand Arcade and that area north of the main shopping area of Leeds has certainly come up in the world. It still has the look of a caff, though, with plastic tablecloths.

Pros: choice, taste, friendly service
Cons: plastic tablecloths
louis
louis

Roots and Fruits, Leeds.

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2007

Small cafe located within shopping arcade. Relaxed atmosphere. Daily specials board plus regular menu. Of about 37 main course items on the menu approximately half are vegan or can be adapted to be vegan. Friendly staff and good coffee.

Pros: friendly staff, central location
Cons: could offer more vegan desserts
innermoonlight
innermoonlight

Nice, home cooked style food

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2007

This place is quite good value and has a lovely cosy atmosphere. Everytime I go in it seems to have a few long time regular customers. Nice range of dishes, nothing too unusual, but all pretty tasty. Has a very home cooked cafe type feel, not for those looking for posh gourmet.

Pros: Lovely cosy atmosphere, Tasty, filling meals, Friendly service
Cons: Could perhaps do with more variety
jacqui
jacqui

Lovely lunch

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2007

This cafe was easy to find, and is close to the city centre. We had a lovely lunch which cost about £15 for 2 main meals and drinks. The food was tasty, well presented and freshly prepared. The portion size was fair and the atmosphere was nice. I would recommend it if you are in Leeds.

Pros: Good food, Nice atmosphere, Quick service
Cons: Small portions
veganini
veganini

Great Little Place

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2007

Tucked away in a currently run-down arcade, this cafe doesn't appear to have anything going for it. But it's a definite winner. The food is great with a lot of dishes suitable or adaptable for vegans and the prices are great too. It's a quaint family-run place so not for those looking for somewhere posh!

Pros: great food, nice staff, portions are just right
Cons: decor looks a bit tatty
Stevie
Stevie

Roots and Fruits, Leeds

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

I had lunch once here recently in this place in Leeds city centre. Vegan options on the menu meant no probs getting a vegan meal. Staff were very helpful

Pros: Nice staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Roots and Fruits: