Serves meat, veg options available. Offers an all-raw 3 course dinner on the first Tuesday of month, brunch on weekends. Uses reverse osmosis water in cooking, drinking, ice, and sodas; rice bran oil for flash frying. All cardboard, glass, plastic and cooking oil is recycled. Approximately 70% of Root Down was built and finished with reclaimed, reused and recycled materials. 100% wind powered. Also has a location in Denver International Airport in the C Concourse near gate 41 (smaller menu). Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
1600 W 33rd Ave
Denver, Colorado 80211
303-993-4200

Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-2:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by poundcake652
andreafbe
andreafbe

Fun atmosphere and good food

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

I am so happy I made a reservation for dinner. The place was hopping when I got there and stayed busy the entire time I was there. I was really happy with everything I ordered. I skipped lunch that day so I ordered a salad, an entree and dessert. The service was great and our waitress was more than happy to answer questions. I would definitely come here again. On another night I tried another restaurant owned by the same group called Linger, which I will submit as another place in Denver where vegans can go for great food.

Pros: Happening scene., Great food., Nice waitstaff.
Cons: Always crowded - make a reservation!
The Gay Vegans
The Gay Vegans

We love Root Down

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

Mike and I have been several times now, including on one of their monthly raw nights, and have loved every meal we have had. It is so nice to enjoy a delish vegan meal that includes totally friendly service. We have eaten at the bar and in the restaurant and gotten greats ervice at both places. This is a great place to celebrate or have a fun date night. We totally recommend it!

sarahsvati
sarahsvati

Vegan options for brunch

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

I went with a group of omnis for brunch and was a little worried when I could only find three vegan options on the menu. I ordered the breakfast burrito and needn't have worried. It was delicious!

The place is a little pricey, but has a great atmosphere and the food is very meticulously made. The sauces are complex and yummy!

Overall, a good place to take omnis and get a satisfying meal yourself.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan options clearly marked
Cons: Bit expensive, Limited options

JessHaz
JessHaz

Best waitress ever!

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2011

This place is a little on the expensive side, and can have a LONG wait, but all of that is worth it. Anything you choose from the menu has (vegan or vegetarian) is bursting with flavor, and you can be sure that it's all very healthy. Oh, and be sure to save room for desert... or just have desert. AWESOME DESERT!

Our waitress was the most knowledgeable and lovely person, as I'm sure all of their wait staff are.

This place exceeded any expectation I would have had for a Highlands restaurant.

Pros: Healthy, wonderfulfood, Knowledgeable, lovely wait staff
Cons: Expensive, Long wait for a table at times
eesworthy
eesworthy

Fun, innovative, delicious and fresh

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2011

My husband and I were traveling in Denver, he on business and me as a tag-along. While he was at the office, I hit up Happy Cow to find a place for dinner and found Root Down.

What a delight this place was. First thing we noticed was how busy it was on a week night. We had a short wait and then we were seated outside on the front patio. We had a beautiful view overlooking the whole of downtown Denver.

We shared both the gazpacho and the sweet potato falafel for appetizers. The gazpacho was fresh and slightly spicy, but when you dug into the bottom of the bowl and got the fresh relish that was sitting on the bottom, it sweetened and brightened up the entire dish. The sweet potato falafel was a great twist on the ubiquitous Mediterranean dish. I think the lemon-tahini sauce really hit some fresh and sour notes which kept the dish from becoming too heavy. For my main course, I had the veggie burger sliders. These were also so good. It's nice to have a fresh-made veggie burger that doesn't crumble with the first bite. The tomato jam was a great compliment to the burger. The sweet potato fries, while good, have become standard even at the greasiest of spoons. I would have liked to see something done to elevate them...a sprinkling of chili powder, a dusting of crushed rosemary, something to make it feel as if they weren't just plate filler.

All in all, it was a wonderful night. We enjoyed our meal tremendously...and my husband has even made it a place to take his coworkers when he returned to Denver.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Inventive preparation, Delicious and good value
Jaclyn0519
Jaclyn0519

Love the chef and the vegan options

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

Root Down is great. In our neighborhood and all about quality ingredients and unique recipes. Lots of vegan options. The risotto snd beet salad are amazing, sweet potato falafel and veg sliders are also good options. Their brunch is also divine and they have a raw food night on Tuesdays. Also great happy hour and lots of amazing and delicious drinks to satisfy. Make reservations in advance!

Pros: Quality, Atmosphere, Recipes
Cons: Lots of meat options
SofaKing
SofaKing

Kewl Eats

4 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

Finally, a place that understands that it is about quality, not quantity! Delicious veg and meat European style food. (It is all about the sauce.) Love the decor and the service.

Make sure to _ask_ for bread with your meal. This will complete the European experience. ;-)

Pros: excellent food, Friendly helpful service, Interesting patrons
Cons: Parking is street only, A _little_ noisy, (bar) but acceptable
poundcake652
poundcake652

Excellent dining experience!

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

While Root Down is not 100% veg, they make a huge effort to have plenty of veg options. And the vegan options are clearly marked. I have been to Root Down twice. The first time was for brunch, where I ordered the Veggie Burger Sliders. They are probably the best veggie burger I've ever had (and that includes my own!). The sliders are served with sweet potato fries and Root Down does those right too! My most recent visit was for dinner and I had the risotto with brussels sprouts, butternut squash and red quinoa. Again, it was delicious! It was on the small plates menu, so I felt like I had to order a side of sweet potato fries so I would not be hungry! There was even a vegan dessert on the menu, which I didn't order because I was too full. But it sounded delicious. Please give Root Down your support. The service is awesome and the ambiance is very cool. The restaurant used to be an old gas filling station. Good weather months are even better so you can sit outside on the patio. At brunch, they offer bottomless mimosas and screwdrivers. MMMMMM.

Pros: Multiple food choices, Excellent food quality, Excellent service & ambiance
Cons: Don't serve lunch

Dear Owner and Manager of Root Down: